Tomcat's top 5 Maine hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
This is just my OPINION on what I feel are the best hikes in Maine. Please feel free to let me know what you think should or shouldn't be on this list.

1. Katahdin Loop from Roaring Brook-over Knife Edge-down Hamlin Ridge
The Knife Edge goes without saying. Long periods of alpine scenery unlike anything else in the east with very few people taking the Hamlin Ridge. 11-13 miles depending on route to beginning of Knife Edge

2. Acadia Traverse Starting with a Precipice climb over Dorr, Cadillac, Pemetic, Bubbles, Penobscot, Sargent, Bald, Gilmore, and Parkman. Exact route can vary slightly. Views of the ocean from every peak imbedded in the mountains of Acadia. They aren't that tall but after this 14+ miles you will ache like most 14 milers anywhere else in NE. The continuous up and down is worse than any 4000 footer. Go after September and have most areas to yourself, even crowded Cadillac.

3. Traveler Loop 11+ miles of alpine scenery and awesome views to Katahdin. Best of all hardly anyone uses this lonely loop in the northern end of Baxter. If you never been, forget about 4000 footers for a day and visit this gem. You won't be let down on a Prominence 50 Peak that seldom goes below treeline for the duration.

4. Bigelow Range Climb AT or Horn's Pond Trail and hit four peaks including West and Avery's Alpine summits. Descend Fire Warden's Trail for a roughly 14 mile loop with several overnight options. Grey jays enjoy the peaks. In winter see snowy Mt Washington and Katahdin in opposite directions from the two higher peaks. Can get crowded but it is a beauty.

5. Grafton Loop Trail A nearly 40 mile backpacking loop with numerous gorgeous vistas. Puzzle Mtn, Lightning Ledge, and best of all Baldpate on the east. Old Speck's tower takes in awesome views expecially a unique look into Mahoosic Notch and into the Presis. Sunday River White Cap is a quiet hidden alpine peak with great views. Numerous campsites make for many options overnighting. Best of all, there isn't much traffic apart from the section coinciding with the AT.

Hon. Mention
Roaring Brook, Hamlin, Northwest Basin, Russel Pond, Roaring Brook Hike deep into Maine's wild and see next to nobody in this remote section of Baxter. Usaually done in 2 nights but the hardcore can knock it off in a long day.

These are just my opinion like I said. What are your opinions?

Baldface Circle Trail in Evans notch (or a couple of variations of the trail coming down from North Baldface)

Helon Taylor over Knifes Edge, summit then Hunt Trail down.

Great thread and choices:

My top 5 would have to include:
  • The Tumbledown/Jackson Range, going up the Loop Trail and down Parker Ridge Trail, with various trails and herd paths in between.
  • Wright Trail loop up Goose Eye. Unfortunately, the North End loop is "closed" and no longer maintained. :(

Thanks for mentioning my home turf (Bemis), Audrey!

Marty

Baldface Circle Trail in Evans notch (or a couple of variations of the trail coming down from North Baldface)

Great peaks, but the Baldfaces are in NH. :eek:

I'd have to put in a vote for Saddleback/Horn and/or Abraham, although I don't know if I could knock out any of your top five.

Last edited:
I would vote for AT/Mahoosucs over Grafton Loop

If you get into < 10 mi there are a lot of nice hikes in ME, you would need top 50 anyway :)

I would probably put the Saddleback/Horn traverse in the honorable mention spot too. I think Abraham has a great summit, the approach is rather lackluster on warderns trail, better on AT sidetrail. Mahoosics some top 20 trips in there for sure. Tumbledown is the one top destination I haven't yet done.

The main issue I have is................... I can't limit it to five.

Agree with one & four having done those. Also think Audrey's Saddleback should be there somewhere. I'd also add The Brother's, Coe & Fort loop for great views too. A friend I trust has told me the view from The Owl is suburb too.

Are there any bad trips in BSP?:D

#1 I've done the Knife Edge and Hamlin, but two separate trips.
#2 You omitted Penobscot from your list. I did a variation of your Acadia trip west to east, only getting the 1,000 footers. And, no, I did not descend the Precipice! instead taking the ridge south, including a dip in The Bowl. Free bus from trailhead to trailhead.
#3 I did The Traveler clock-wise before there was a trail connecting North Traveler to Peak of the Ridges. A bit rough in a couple spots, but verrry nice. I found a very bleached moose rack as I descended from The Traveler.
I haven't done much else in Maine.

I agree with Mike P who said "Are there any bad trips in BSP?" Although I will add that its vastness and remoteness are two sides of a coin, and a misstep or misjudgment can turn a nice trip into something else. Same as anywhere. Years ago, and even dumber than I am now, I was off-trail near Russell Pond taking a "shortcut", got disoriented and wandered for a while. No harm, but a bit of a wake-up call. (And, yes, I know "vastness" and even "remoteness" are relative terms in the northeast U.S. compared to other places, but Baxter State Park is plenty vast enough to get lost in.)

I'll also say "Are there any bad trips in Acadia?"

Jon

A counterclockwise loop, a little different from the other jaunts mentioned previously:
"Barker Pond Peak" 3070 (just south of the swath); old road and whack to Twin Peaks; then another old road/brief whack to the swath which climbs steeply to East and West Saddle, followed by Marble Mountain. Killer views from that precipice.
If you start and finish in Quebec does it count as a Maine hike??

Feel free to tell you what you add even if they do start with a canoe (I just hiked Kineo in Moosehead area starting w/ Kayak last few weeks). Winter is fine (some hikes are much better in winter.) Remember the list is my opinion and I'd like to see what others think would make their lists.

BSP's Doubletop

Wicked nice up and over hike if you can car-spot. The View From the Top is outstanding.

hi jt--pretty obscure, but interesting/excellent choice--doubt it will get many votes :)--swath dancing is not an exercise many engage in

i thought perhaps i might expire scrambling up the "wall" to E Saddle

jim