Single-season Northeast 111 Finish, 6/19 to 9/9/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
This is more correctly a ‘journey report’ but I couldn’t find a forum with that name. After enjoying a full winter season of hiking, I thought a repeat of the NE111 (mountains over 4000 feet; actually 115 mountains due to some later additions) would be a good goal for the summer. To make it more challenging, I combined the mountains into day hikes with a minimum (for me at least) number of hiking days. For mountains outside the Adirondacks, most driving days were also hiking days to reduce the travel and overnight costs. The total hiking days, 28, meant that I would have up to two-thirds of the summer days “free”.

White Mountains, NH, 48 peaks—11 days
Adirondacks, NY, 46 peaks—10 days
Maine, 14 peaks—4 days
Vermont, 5 peaks—2 days
Catskills, NY, 2 peaks—1 day

I previously posted some reports from trips to Maine and New Hampshire, but didn’t want to announce my purpose (though some people probably figured it out) since I was not sure if I would finish. As I am quite familiar with the Adirondacks and Catskills, I knew I could ‘fit those in’ easily. Vermont was within day-trip distance, so there was no problem getting over there. There were two logistics challenges above all others: Katahdin in Maine and the Presidential Traverse in New Hampshire, which required scheduling trips for good weather for the attempts. Fortunately, both worked out well, but not without some uncertainty. I hoped to save the Dixes and Dix for my finish, but decided to ‘get them out of the way’ when the weather was nice on Monday Sept. 3. I was concerned I might need more time for the Whites because of weather (and we had house guests coming this week). In this report I will summarize the final three hiking days leading to my finish on Bondcliff September 9. I want to thank my wife, Linda, who was a one-person support crew for this trip and also for her patience and support with my latest obsession. :)

Sept. 7, Presidential Traverse
There are many ways to combine these peaks, but I chose the 8-peak N to S traverse (Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce, and Jackson). I started on the Daniel Webster Scout trail in the Dolly Copp campground and finished at Rt 302 in Crawford, taking all of the summit loop trails. This route is 21.7 miles and 8900 feet ascent. It kicks off with a 4000 foot ascent of Madison, but really is not that difficult afterward. The weather was great, with temperature mostly in the 50s F and a nice wind to help keep me cool. Having plenty of water was easy with refills available at facilities (huts and Mt W) along the way. I finished the hike in 10:14, which I thought was pretty good, till I saw that the FKT (fasted known time) was half that!!!

Sept. 8, Wildcats-Carters-Moriah Traverse
I consider this hike (Wildcat D-Wildcat A-Carter Dome-South Carter-Middle Carter-Moriah;19.4 miles, 7300 feet ascent) to be almost as difficult as the Presidentials because of the rougher terrain and steep ascents/descents. I started at Ellis River and finished at Stony Brook trailhead. I saw and talked to several of the “Flags on the 48” crews on the summits, bravely hanging on to their flagpoles and rigging in the high wind. I was glad I kept moving though, because about 10 minutes after we drove away from the trailhead, the deluge of afternoon storms arrived which continued for several hours.

Sept. 9, Hale-Zealand-Bonds
I chose the dates for the final three hiking days not on a plan to finish on a particular peak, but a plan to finish. The day for the Presidentials was chosen solely by weather and I selected the last two days mainly to finish at Lincoln Woods trailhead which was closer for driving home. This classic traverse (Hale-Zealand-West Bond-Bond-Bondcliff; 22 miles, 5700 feet ascent) is a favorite hike of many New Englanders with its long stretch above treeline and fantastic views. I think West Bond is one of my favorite peaks in the Whites for great views in all directions. But on this day, Bondcliff was a great location to complete my NE111 journey. The only problem was the 9.1 mile walk to Lincoln Woods, but that went by quickly, like in less than 2½ hours. We celebrated at “The Common Man” in Lincoln with a drink and snack, then jumped in the car for the drive home.

As for the question “what’s next?” I have no plans but I’m sure I will come up with something. Just give me time.

Congratulations! That is one heck of a run in just over two months! Incredible goal, you must have felt pretty good reaching Bond Cliff (aches aside). Again, way to go!

That is a great achievement Joe! Any plan to document all 115? I'd like to see how you grouped peaks together. You must be a teacher with the summer off?

That is a great achievement Joe! Any plan to document all 115? I'd like to see how you grouped peaks together. You must be a teacher with the summer off?

You're right, Eddie, I did a lot of work on the groupings of mountains for each day hike, considering the miles, ascent, and even driving time between trailheads. I am attaching a PDF showing the Whites groupings as an example. I kept days in the range of 17-25 miles and 5000-9000 feet ascent.
View attachment whitesinelevendays.pdf

I am semi-retired and self-employed as a consultant. Lately I have been doing more hiking than "working". It's a wonderful life.

Excellent work, Joe! Stunning, really.

I hate to bring this up, but since the summer solstice was on 20 June this year, this is technically a two-season 111. ;)

(Any chance you'll do or already did the Nose to get all of the northeastern 4k'ers?)

Last edited:
Excellent work, Joe! Stunning, really.

I hate to bring this up, but since the summer solstice was on 20 June this year, this is technically a two-season 111. ;)

(Any chance you'll do or already did the Nose to get all of the northeastern 4k'ers?)

Thanks, TEO.

Yeah, I was less than 24 hours early. You're the type to nail me for it . . . I was all ready, it was a nice day, and the Santanonis were waiting. Guilty as charged, but I'm appealing all they way to the Supreme Court. I bet you are also reporting me to USADA for drug testing. I'm clean, unlike Lance I can't afford to buy the stuff. Go ahead, take my patch. :confused:

The nose, huh? That one had me stumped till I looked it up. You mean the rock with the dangerous radiation towers just south of the Mansfield toll road? I had all day to climb Mansfield (did the other VT four in one day) and could have probably run up there quickly without being sterilized (my brain is fried anyway, couldn't hurt it :) ).

I am thinking about doing MacNaughton just for fun since I have till the 22nd at 16:44 GMT. Right?

Is the knee back to 110 percent?

I bet you are also reporting me to USADA for drug testing.

I tried to tell Jeff Novitzky that I suspected fraud, but he wouldn't listen to me. :D

The nose, huh? That one had me stumped till I looked it up. You mean the rock with the dangerous radiation towers just south of the Mansfield toll road?

That's the one. More than 200' of prominence according to the U.S. Geodetic Survey.

The knee's doing pretty well. Doc says she won't have to amputate. See you on Saturday?

The knee's doing pretty well. Doc says she won't have to amputate. See you on Saturday?

On Saturday we are going to continue fixing up the notorious and neglected Bradley Pond trail with some log and board bridging. In June we rerouted about 1/2 mile of trail up near the lean-to where the Panther Brook herdpath begins. Talk about job security, this trail is it. We'll never run out of work to do. Even when it's dry, it's wet. :)