Santanoni, Panther, Couchsachraga - backpack or day hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earth Man

Reaction score
So what do people find easiest here - backpack one night? day hike? How does it compare in time/length/difficulty with the Dixes or with the Lower Great Range (Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower Wolf Jaws), both of which I did as long day hikes?
Any tips different from the book? Santanoni Express?

My opinion is to day hike it. Similar to the Dixes and the Hay-Basin-Saddle loop discussed in your other thread. It's another 12 hr day hike. I recommend up Panther Brook, fill bottles in the brook and stash water at Times Square due to no water on the ridge, get Panther and Couch, across to Santa and down the new old path. Also, stay right at the Couchie swamp.

whssign.gif

Thanks for the input. It was very helpful and gave me nerve. I ended up going Saturday with a buddy who'd previously hiked it. We went up Santanoni Express and down from Panther. No sign of a rope on the express. And no need for one either. But it was in the upper 30s, in the dripping, windy clouds. Didn't clear till Couchsachraga. So we didn't end up needing much drinking water.