Goose Eye via Wright Trail 9/14/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
Relied on the AMC 8th Edition Maine Mountain Guide as well as brobichaud's trip report and excellent blog posting to try the Wright loop up to Goose Eye. Trailhead directions easy to follow. The trailhead itself offers two routes: one follows Goose Eye Brook past several pools and cascades, very picturesque but also time-consuming. On the way back we stayed on a soft, wide logging road that descended back to the trailhead.

Just past the tentsite at 2.5 miles, the trail splits, with the southern section crossing the brook. The north loop is now marked by several cairns across a tributary stream. From there it is easy to follow up to the Mahoosuc/AT trail. Minimal blowdowns, maybe 4 or 5, are easy to detour around. This route is steep, and leads to several intimidating cliffs and rock outcroppings which thankfully you don't have to climb.

We saw a MBPL sign for the North Wright Trail at the intersection with the Mahoosuc Trail, which we took as meaning that the trail was open.

The Mahoosuc Trail over East Goose Eye is a marvel of engineering, almost all boardwalks and ladders and really fun to climb. From the East peak to the West is a great stretch, and the West peak has spectacular views. Saw a number of through-hikers heading north.

The south section of the Wright Trail connects to the Mahoosuc in between the two Goose Eye peaks. Descends through a beautiful forest, over three rocky knobs with good views, and then back down to Goose Eye Brook. It was a hot day, so we were grateful to descend over this exposed trail rather than climb up in the sun.

Also very grateful to brobichaud for his report, because otherwise we would have believed the 10th Edition of the AMC Maine Mountain Guide, which says that the north branch is "now closed." And by ascending the north route, we got to enjoy the East peak as well as the West.

This was #99 for my wife Melissa and me.

I'm an idiot, I should have written 9/14. Don't know how to change titles on this.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you had an awesome day! I've seen the path leading off to the left right near the trailhead, but just thought it led down to the stream, I never realized it connected. Next time for sure!

Congratulations on #100 as well!

congrats!

I actually hiked the north wright trail, yesterday (1st time) nice trail but I was hoping for more.. I actually prefer the south wright with the open views.. Agree, go left at the start. Goose+ E.baldpate, nice way to finish with these 2 hikes!

Congratulations! Goose Eye and the Wright Trail was one of the nicest NEHH hikes IMHO!