women's winter hiking boot suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allison88

Reaction score
I currently own a pair of Lowa Bora's that have been on all of my NH 4K hikes, including some winter ones, but I think it's time to give them a little rest and find some better suited boots for winter. I was wondering if any of the gals (or guys who own boots that have a ladies version) out there had suggestions for insulated winter hiking boots. I am hoping to spend $200 or less.

I currently own a pair of Lowa Bora's that have been on all of my NH 4K hikes, including some winter ones, but I think it's time to give them a little rest and find some better suited boots for winter. I was wondering if any of the gals (or guys who own boots that have a ladies version) out there had suggestions for insulated winter hiking boots. I am hoping to spend $200 or less.

Check out Cabela's Avalanche boots. They have both a men's and women's model. Currently they're listed at full price ($99) and often are on sale. I'm on my second pair, as are many of my winter hiking friends.

I've really liked my Columbia Ice Crushettes. My father has done all his winter hiking in Sorels, but my socks always fell down in mine!

Check out Cabela's Avalanche boots. They have both a men's and women's model. Currently they're listed at full price ($99) and often are on sale. I'm on my second pair, as are many of my winter hiking friends.

I bought a pair on Keven's recommendation a couple of winters back. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Because of the type of lining they have, they feel like bedroom slippers when you put them on. They're too warm for summer or I might well have used them the year round.

Since the wear on boots in the winter is so much less than in the summer I'm not sure how Kevin wore out his first pair. After two full winters mine still look almost new.

...Since the wear on boots in the winter is so much less than in the summer I'm not sure how Kevin wore out his first pair. After two full winters mine still look almost new.

Ed - Cosmetically, my boots looked fine after 6 or 8 years of use. But, the Gortex layer failed, so unless the weather was very cold (less and less of that, unfortunately) the boots would often 'wet-out'. So ... when I saw them discounted last spring down to $50 with a free shipping offer - it was time to give them to Goodwill.

FWIW - I have a fine pair of Sorrels - the ones with aggressive cleat soles which I haven't seen in at least 20 years. I put an extra felt insole in - the type with a foil side to reflect cold downward - and they are just the ticket for shoveling show, doing winter chores. But, after 8 or 10 winter peaks, their lack of ankle support, softer toe boxes, inability to keep up socks and similar issues, I knew there had to be a better boot. Yes, they keep your feet warm, but ... there are better solutions which won't break the bank.

FWIW - I have a fine pair of Sorrels - the ones with aggressive cleat soles which I haven't seen in at least 20 years. I put an extra felt insole in - the type with a foil side to reflect cold downward - and they are just the ticket for shoveling show, doing winter chores. But, after 8 or 10 winter peaks, their lack of ankle support, softer toe boxes, inability to keep up socks and similar issues, I knew there had to be a better boot. Yes, they keep your feet warm, but ... there are better solutions which won't break the bank.

I think the there are two common issue with Sorels. First, since they only come in whole sizes and depending on your foot size, the boot may be too large. Generally I reco going down a 1/2 size vs up (assuming the boot is only snug and not small) because the felt padding compresses with time. Secondly, I find the popular Caribou boot with 4 d rings is nearly impossible to tie tightly. I found that the tying issue went away with the Sorel boots that have 7 or 8 sets of eye lacing - my model is the Caribou, my wive's was called something different. Also, for the sock issue, I found that certain socks perform better than others. I prefer the shaped and fitted Wigwam Ultimax for liners - priceless. And a good outer sock like the Smartwool.

Ed - Cosmetically, my boots looked fine after 6 or 8 years of use. But, the Gortex layer failed, so unless the weather was very cold (less and less of that, unfortunately) the boots would often 'wet-out'. So ... when I saw them discounted last spring down to $50 with a free shipping offer - it was time to give them to Goodwill.

Yah, I thought of that even as I made the statement. It was one of the reasons I replaced my previous winter boots with the Avalanche. The other was a build up of bacteria and odor in that older pair that I just couldn't get rid of.

I've had Merrell Thermo 8 (400 g insulation) going on five winters now.

Work reasonably well with crampons (Grivel G10) some flex but no pop outs

Work well with Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro, Microspikes, and MSR Denali Evo Ascent snowshoes

Hope this helps!!!

I know others have had great luck with the winter Salomon's as well, but I personally found the fit bulky

Happy Hiking

Sabrina

Rentals ???

You might want to try renting some boots first to see how they will respond to your needs. I know IME has a rental program.

Also they have a consignment shop downstairs and you can purchase a more expensive boot for ALOT less money.

I purchased a pair of ASOLO plastic double boots there for $25. four years ago and have had no regrets on that purchase.

Last edited:
Sorel Intrepid Explorer? Has anyone used this boot for winter hiking/backpacking? They look bulky so I'm wondering how they would fit with crampons/microspikes/snowshoes.

That's a good leading question for this thread. I was going to say, it might help to decide what kind of hiking you will be doing the most of. Trail, or bushwhack? Steep and icy (crampons) or rolling and snowy (snowshoes? Extreme cold (do you like to go out when it's -10 and windy, and the weatherman is warning you not to go?) or "normal winter days"? "Normal 4K" hikes, or extreme distance "winter pemi loop" where weight will really matter? Do you prefer a lot of ankle support, or does that not matter? These questions may help sort out the category of boot you want, before getting into specific brands and models. Categories include plastic doubles, Sorel types, insulated leather, and various modern hybrids. They vary across stiff vs. soft, heavy vs light, warmer vs less warm, etc.

Then you can start trying on brands - after you get the "type" of boot pinned down, fit is the next most important thing.

My most common hike will be "normal 4k" but I most enjoyed my hike last winter to Adams where it was 2 degrees in the Lowe's parking lot to start and supposed 40mph wind at the top. I will be doing some winter backpacking so long multiple days. Last year crampons were a must for every hike due to little snow and lots of ice. I also want to do some AMC hikes and they are anal about boots.

Buying winter boots will be tedious if I have to order over the internet and then return multiple times. The regular hiking stores near me don't seem to carry serious women's winter boots at all and certainly not in stock (rei, adventure 16).

I would appreciate comments from anyone with experience with the Sorel Intrepid (I'm also looking at the Merrell Arctic, Merrell whiteout, Merrell chameleon, Cabellas Avalanche)

That's a good leading question for this thread. I was going to say, it might help to decide what kind of hiking you will be doing the most of. Trail, or bushwhack? Steep and icy (crampons) or rolling and snowy (snowshoes? Extreme cold (do you like to go out when it's -10 and windy, and the weatherman is warning you not to go?) or "normal winter days"? "Normal 4K" hikes, or extreme distance "winter pemi loop" where weight will really matter? Do you prefer a lot of ankle support, or does that not matter? These questions may help sort out the category of boot you want, before getting into specific brands and models. Categories include plastic doubles, Sorel types, insulated leather, and various modern hybrids. They vary across stiff vs. soft, heavy vs light, warmer vs less warm, etc.

Then you can start trying on brands - after you get the "type" of boot pinned down, fit is the next most important thing.

My most common hike will be "normal 4k" - I most enjoyed my hike last winter to Adams where it was 2 degrees in the Lowe's parking lot to start and supposed 40mph wind at the top. I will be doing some winter backpacking so long multiple days. Last year crampons were a must for every hike due to little snow and lots of ice. I also want to do some AMC hikes and they are anal about boots.

Buying winter boots will be tedious if I have to order over the internet and then return multiple times. The regular hiking stores near me don't seem to carry serious women's winter boots at all and certainly not in stock (rei, adventure 16).

I would appreciate comments from anyone with experience with the Sorel Intrepid (I'm also looking at the Merrell Arctic, Merrell whiteout, Merrell chameleon, Cabellas Avalanche)

Last year I hiked in the less aggressive version of Garmont Momentum's, and I believe they are insulated to 15 degrees.

Needed to upgrade because of my orthotics so this year so I went with the Garmont Momentum SNOW VERSION. Insulated to -35. Got the men's version for I believe Amazon at a nice price. The web link here is from Campmor. If you are looking, keep in mind the key word is snow because Garmont has several winter boots.

http://www.campmor.com/garmont-mome...i_sku=15343BLK7.5M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Never had a problems with the ones I wore last year but wanted extra insurance for very low temps.

Wore then most every day when hiking with Molly and I had Hillsound Pro crampons on for several months. Someone helped me to adjust them properly and I was good to go. Because it was so icy where I hiked I didn't take them off 'til spring. My feet were never cold.

Why I went with Garmonts is because they are light as feathers, super comfy, give great support, have many 5 star ratings, and the first time around I had to really search because they were all sold out. That is a very good sign. First became acquainted with them on VFFT and never regretted buying this boot. In fact come warmer weather, I recall feeling sad because I had to put them away for several months.

Love my Salomon Snowtrips! Wore them literally fresh out of the box in March 2010 and over the next few days did the NH W48 with no foot problems whatsoever. The use of Mats's boot dryer every night was indispensable as they did get rather damp w/sweat each day. Would not make a habit of putting a full crampon on them, but Kahtoola Microspikes worked marvelously as did MSR Denalis.

Have climbed the W48 in Sorel Caribous, plastic mountaineering boots, and Columbia Bugaboots, but the Salomons are my favorite.

My wife would second Maddy's vote for the Garmont Momentum. She is wearing them (not visible :)) on Bondcliff in our Avatar. She can't say enough about how comfortable they are and very light. I believe any of the boots discussed in this thread are ok with AMC.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked at them on campmor and it says they're rated to 35F rather than -35F. Not sure if it's a typo or if I just need stronger glasses. : )

The Sorels are rated to -100F which is very appealing to me but obviously useless if I can't get crampons on them. or snowshoes. or if they're just not intended for hiking.

Last year I hiked in the less aggressive version of Garmont Momentum's, and I believe they are insulated to 15 degrees.

Needed to upgrade because of my orthotics so this year so I went with the Garmont Momentum SNOW VERSION. Insulated to -35. Got the men's version for I believe Amazon at a nice price. The web link here is from Campmor. If you are looking, keep in mind the key word is snow because Garmont has several winter boots.

http://www.campmor.com/garmont-mome...i_sku=15343BLK7.5M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Never had a problems with the ones I wore last year but wanted extra insurance for very low temps.

Wore then most every day when hiking with Molly and I had Hillsound Pro crampons on for several months. Someone helped me to adjust them properly and I was good to go. Because it was so icy where I hiked I didn't take them off 'til spring. My feet were never cold.

Why I went with Garmonts is because they are light as feathers, super comfy, give great support, have many 5 star ratings, and the first time around I had to really search because they were all sold out. That is a very good sign. First became acquainted with them on VFFT and never regretted buying this boot. In fact come warmer weather, I recall feeling sad because I had to put them away for several months.

Looks like the Sorel Caribous are rated for -40F and they look somewhat similar to the Sorel Intrepid. No surprise, I suppose, since it's the same company. The Bugaboots rating is -25F. The Snowtrips rating say only -1F. I'm pretty sure I will need at least a -40F boot. Salomon makes the Toundra with -40F rating so that's on my list. I do wonder how accurate these ratings are ...

Love my Salomon Snowtrips! Wore them literally fresh out of the box in March 2010 and over the next few days did the NH W48 with no foot problems whatsoever. The use of Mats's boot dryer every night was indispensable as they did get rather damp w/sweat each day. Would not make a habit of putting a full crampon on them, but Kahtoola Microspikes worked marvelously as did MSR Denalis.

Have climbed the W48 in Sorel Caribous, plastic mountaineering boots, and Columbia Bugaboots, but the Salomons are my favorite.

A few suggestions, consider vapor barrier socks, you can get rid of a lot of bulk if you uses VBLs. I have a nice new pair from RBH designs that look good and feel good. I just wish I had them when I ordered my boots as they do take up some boot space. FOr cold weathe multiday trips VBLs save a lot of evening boot drying.

Whatever you do bring your gear with you to the shoe store and make sure everything fits either that or order them from somewhere with free returns like Zappos.

Some folks can tolerate the older sorel boots but there are far better choices out there.

I had plastic boots and snap on crampons, I used them on occasion but realistically they were overkill for winter 48 hikes. For most people, plan on them cutting your mileage per day by 20 to 30%. They are uncomfortable and make for an odd gait whihc get tiring. Especially with the recent low snow winters, they are miserable on bare ground.