How is Success Pond road condition from the Berlin side?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drove the road a few weeks ago in a corolla from berlin to the speck pond trailhead without any problems. it is rough in spots and you won't be able to drive fast, but it's totally passable. the first mile had seen maintenance since the spring when the first bit was pretty rough for low clearance vehicles. the road that turns off to the goose eye trailhead had a washout in it in the spring and i think i remember cars parked near the junction with success pond road the other week so that probably hasn't been fixed. i don't think it adds more than a couple hundred yards to get to the start of the actual trail.

bryan

Watch out for "alligators", the owners have graded the road down into the subbase so every so often, there are sections of culvert pipe with their tops ripped open. If you encouter one it will shred a tire but there is plenty of room to miss them.

Success Pond Rd was ok (or at least no worse than its historical norm) but the spur road to the Success Trail trailhead is in fair to poor shape; vegetation grown in, ruts in the road are getting deep, and one sandy section of the road has a gully starting to form.

How is the road from route 26? Might be heading that way in a couple of weeks.

Success Pond from Rt 26

From another Hiking forum: "the bridge is out on the York Pond Rd that connects to the Success Pond Rd" There are a couple of options to pick up Success Pond Rd from the Rt 26 side, just take a quick look @ google maps & you can see alternate routes in case you run into the closure referenced above. I have not been there recently myself, but from what I understand, the resolution is pretty simple.

The road on the Maine side (which is owned and maintained by a different group) is in far better shape than the drive in from Berlin. Its worth doing some research to find the way around the bridge.

rt 26

in the summer the access was the north rd., which connects to success pd.rd., prolly same deal now..