Mt. Washington via Huntington Ravine and other trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Trails: The specific route was up Tuckerman's, to the Huntington Ravine Trail, to Nelson Crag Trail, to the summit, then down via Crawford Path, to Davis Path, to Boott Spur, and back to Tuckerman's and the PNVC.

Date of Hike: Sep. 22, 2012

Trail Conditions: Primarily normal early fall conditions, meaning mostly dry with an occasional wet or muddy spot, but parts of Huntington Ravine and Boott Spur Trails were quite wet, with actively flowing water in places. Nothing, however, that was impassiible or too difficult to negotiate. Likewise, all stream crossings were pretty simple (though I can see where that might not always be the case). I don't recall any blowdowns or obstructions. The fan and ledges of Huntington Ravine Trail were mostly dry.

Special Equipment Used: None.

Other: Bugs, none; foliage, not peaking, but getting nicer.

Comments: This hike I made with fellow VFTT member Bill Robichaud (brobichaud) and he was a very cool hiking companion -- anytime again, man. We had full sun and nice breezes all day keeping everything dry, we even had somewhat of an undercast for a bit. We also met a couple of nice fellows, Charlie and Ned, on Boott Spur, with whom we finished our descent with -- full speed ahead, lol. Very nice guys! I can't say it was an epic day (it wasn't making Bondcliff for sunrise from Guyot or anything like that), but it was superb, sublime. What an amazing day and hike it was, was an awesome ascent we had especially. Not scary, just loads of fun!

Special Note: Viewing Tuckerman's above the headwall from Davis Path we noted what appeared to be a conga line. The line of hikers was a continuous thread. Amazing, in a sad way.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: