A triumphant return to Huntington Ravine 9/22/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
Several weeks ago, I began chatting with Mike (aka NH Tramper) and he asked if I wanted to do Huntington Ravine with him. I jumped at the opportunity, but told him I'd only do it if it was dry. Time passed, and the day was upon us. A drizzly, damp, early morning gave way to a beautiful, sun filled late morning and afternoon. My last time in the ravine, was about 10 days after Irene last year, and you may well imagine, it was wet. My boots at the time would not grip the wet rock, so my ascent was rickety, and terrifying at best. This time through, we slayed it. A great climb, good company, and cooperative weather conspired to make this one of my favorite hikes in recent memory. I could have done without the crowds on the summit, but I suppose that's to be expected. As we descended to Boott Spur, we noticed a veritable conga line of hikers going up the summit cone on Tuckerman Ravine Trail, it was quite a sight. Thanks again to Mike for an awesome day!

Commentary and pictures HERE.

Cheers,

Bill

Superb Hike!

Awesome hiking with you, Bill. Between the mountain, the trail, the company, and the great weather, it won't be an easy hike to top. Here are a four photos of you tackling the steeps and one of my perspective looking down at where we'd been.

Starting out...
922_bill-negotiates-the-smooth-headwall.jpg

Lower headwall slab...
922_bill-making-his-way-up-the-lower-headwall.jpg

Midway up the first pitch...
922_bill-midway-up-the-first-pitch.jpg

Clearing the chimney...
922_bill-clearing-the-top-of-the-chimney.jpg

Me looking down at all we hiked...
922_me-standing-on-a-steep-narrow-path-section.jpg

Detailed Trail Conditions Report here.

Do without the crowds at the summit? Aw, c'mon, they're entertainment. I was up on Friday and saw a couple old ladies with walkers. My only regret is that I didn't think to take a picture.