Wandering in China

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonewalker

Reaction score
I'm going to be in China later this year and was thinking about doing some hiking there. Has anybody done this? Any ideas, contacts, useful links, advise, etc? Thanks

What part of China are you going to? When are you going?

If you are anywhere near the great Wall, it's definitely worth taking a hike along the "wild wall" (parts of the wall that are unrestored - often you have to pay small change to get past various private parties who claim rights over parts of the Wall, for me it was about 1 dollar total to get past 5 "check points").

Last edited:
If you do get a chance, check out Huangshan Mountain (aka Yellow Mountain). It isn't really the best for isolation/hiking, you can hike up the mountain, however, there is a gondola to the top and a 5-star hotel there with porters bringing up good s and stuff (they don't use the gondola because the gondala is run by the government and the hotel is private).

At the summit there are just paths that you can walk around in so as far as "hiking" goes, it's not really a place one would go if you're looking at hiking hiking... But for altitude and the views, it's spectacular. It's amazing as typically it's fogged in at least when we were there. It has amazing scenery though whether its sunny or not.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/anhui/huangshan/huangshan.htm

If you are in the area, it's probably worth it as a daytrip.

Found this:

http://community.webshots.com/album/90303507dPxTea

Jay

Last edited:
I agree with pedxing that you should walk on the Great Wall if you can. I was on one of the standard "cultural tours" in 1984. The only pseudo hiking I got to do was on the wall at Badaling Pass, near Beijing. While the tour group was eating lunch at the pass I got in one hour wall hikes up both sides of the pass. There were crowds at first on the restored sections. But I was able to get to the top of both hills escaping the crowds and reaching areas where the wall was in semi ruined states. It was a great experience with nice views. 1984 must have been prior to the pay "check-points", or at least I do not recall them.

If you're looking for really specific info - check out www.summitpost.org and look at the Asia section of the message board. theres a fair number of knowledgeable people from China or with a load of experience in the area.

cheers
Oysterhead