NY Trail Conditions postings?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drweo

Reaction score
I have noticed that there are far fewer NY trail conditions posted on VFTT than there used to be, compared with the sane for NH. Anyone have an explanation for that? :confused: I know there are still lots of people hiking NY trails (likely more than ever!) but if you compare the NY and NH trail conditions postings, you will see that there are far fewer NY. Or am I missing something??

I have noticed that there are far fewer NY trail conditions posted on VFTT than there used to be, compared with the sane for NH. Anyone have an explanation for that? :confused: I know there are still lots of people hiking NY trails (likely more than ever!) but if you compare the NY and NH trail conditions postings, you will see that there are far fewer NY. Or am I missing something??
It should pick up during Winter...

You're not missing anything. Though the NY section of the board continues to grow, the other states' membership is dwarfed by members from New England. As I've said to everyone, post your trip reports, NY, NH, and all the other states.

Facebook is a reason too one hardly sees the hard core hikers posting here anymore...thanks to those that still do!!!

I used to post TR's here (not trail conditions) here but there was so little interest that I stopped. Also, the french language hiking forum may have affected things. There is a lot of ADK action (as well as the Whites and Maine) there.

Some guesses:

Gas prices making trips a little shorter? Oddly in my case, between Scouts with the kids & gas, I'm doing less day trips to NH & when I go someplace for a few days, it's to NY so I'm hiking more in ADK's. (more in MA & CT too)

For central CT, getting to Franconia Notch or Route 73 & Chapel pond take about the same amount of time. Getting to some of NH's best peaks is quicker for most of southern New England than getting to ADK Loj.

(So Tecumseh is closer as is Gore but outside of ski season a hike of either one is enough for a few years.)

More parking in NH. (limited parking at the Garden - while if it's sunny next weekend, F-Notch will have cars parked along the shoulders on both sides. I'd only look at hiking from the Garden Tues - Friday on a non-holiday weekend)

Economy? While people hike from all over the country, I've seen to notice that many of the NH lots are filled with plates from the northeast. (New England, NJ & NY + our northern neighbors, mostly QUE) In the ADK's while these places are also represented - few from ME though - I see more plates from all over teh country when I park at the loj. (Canada equally represented by both QUE & ONT)

Boomers retiring? Some of us are near retirement age. While still hiking, & assuming you have choices on where to live, the NH tax environment makes it a better place to retire than NY. Both areas are very pretty so call scenery a push, if you did not have to live close to children (to see grandkids) taxes becomes a discussion.

Trail conditions postings are so . . . . . yesterday.

Whatever happened to a sense of adventure and going out into the unknown? Do we have to know the outcome before we begin the hike?

I used to post TR's here (not trail conditions) here but there was so little interest that I stopped. Also, the french language hiking forum may have affected things. There is a lot of ADK action (as well as the Whites and Maine) there.

I see a lot of fellow NYers, but most are looking for or sharing New England info. As noted by Neil, NY posts get little or no response, so I think most of us don't bother posting those here. Lots more NY info on ADKHighpeaks. (Similarly, they have a NE section which gets little activity.)

And FWIW, I rarely look at the trail conditions section...not being able to ask follow up questions without sending a PM is the main reason.

Last edited:
NY section of the board is much smaller than NE section, but growing and with 1600 threads and 16000 posts, its unlikely you won't find an answer here, pls the most comprehensive countrywide Q&A on any subject. :confused:

NY trail conditions

Thanks for those responses. Interesting ideas in several of them.

As for ADK High Peaks Forum, I find those reports more like VFTT Trip Reports (ie, longer, more detail) than like trail condition entries. I'd prefer to just get the summary information, not personal reflections etc in every report. IMHO.