Gray Jay welcoming on South Hancock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Steppin'

Reaction score
On a clear, crisp, colorful fall day (yesterday, Sept 27th) I finished my NH 4000 Footers on South Hancock. I've checked off 22 other peaks this summer ---- and not seen a single Gray Jay. Years ago, hiking the first half of my list, I remember seeing them quite regularly. I've missed their company.
Within minutes of arriving at my culminating peak, two Gray Jays flew in and perched a few feet from my face. I don't believe I am an overly sensitive person ---- but the thought of these bold, hardy, mischievous creatures welcoming me to their boreal world, on this day, touched something I may not have known I had.
My list was finished on a perfect day. A 4000 Footer certificate will be nice but I'll cherish most the acceptance and encouragement of my friends ---- and now,that of the Gray Jays!

(OK, I know they could have been there only for the peanuts --- but please, allow me my moment.)

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpg
    IMG_5647.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5652.jpg
    IMG_5652.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 191
Been waiting for this report all week Guyton. A hearty congratulations to you sir. I don't care how many times I run into the Grey Jays it is always a thrill to feel their little feet wrap around ones finger while they mooch a snack. I always carry a small bag of sunflower seeds for them. Again, congratulations and glad you had a nice day. What's next???