Smoky Mountains National Park - time to visit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm thinking about heading to the Smokies for a week in May or June and I have two questions:

(1) Do the Smokies have a "bug season" like we do where bugs are quite an annoyance?
(2) Is all the snow likely to be gone by mid-May from all the high peaks?

We went to the Smokies the last week of April a number of years ago. The last week of April is normally their peak wildflower season and we agree. We counted almost 90 different wildflowers in bloom. There were no bugs although they did have a very late season snowstorm that dropped 6" on the park but it was all melted in a couple of days. It made for some very nice photography with the snow on all the flowers and trees that were already leaved out. Late April is a little earlier than you mentioned but should be considered if you have the time.

We have gone the last three years in the first week of May. No bugs, generally mild weather and fantastic hiking. We hope to head back again this coming May. I highly recommend that time of year.

A hint is that backpacking the AT on either side of the Smokies is as good as hiking in the Smokies. The run from the north end to Hot Springs is some nice territory and a lot less crowded. Alternatively Franklin to Fontana Dam is also some nice territory (plus if you like interesting driving roads, you visit Tail of the Dragon). Far fewer crowds and the the wildflowers are just as nice. The southerly hike has Wayah Bald and the northerly route has Max Patch and Snowbird. Despite the elevation, most of the ridge line in the Smokies is in the woods and those summits seem to attract any clouds in the region so they frequently live up to the name "smokies". There are a couple of AT shuttlers who work the north and south end. I hiked through the area in mid to late april two years in a row and the weather as nice. If you want to camp out on side trails I can really comment as I havent done it.

Sounds like you should be there around the time the rhododendrums peak ... I'd check with the park to get a more precise range of dates as long as you're planning to go that time of year. Rhododenrums in full bloom would be a shame to miss.

Grandfather Mountain is a popular destination not far from the Smokies. Cataloochee (in the Park) has a nice herd of elk but, again, check with the park because they'll leave the valley for higher elevations sometime in the spring.