Tarptents-Talk to me

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
http://www.tarptent.com/

I'm looking for a light tent/shelter for a 3 season (well maybe 2.5 season) time period, something like May thru October. I'm not necessarily going ultralight, because my other necessities (like water) still will weigh a lot. I'd just like to cut out as much weight as possible while still being comfortable, and most importantly, safe.

Has anyone used these tarptents? They look very intriguing, and since I'm 6 foot 2, 280 lbs, I could prob get away with buying a bigger one with still saving weight with say, a two person regular tent.

Talk to me! :)

Recent thread over at Whiteblaze.net that may provide some food-for-thought.

In addition to Tarptent, two other ultralight tent companies mentioned were Six Moon Designs and Lightheart. One guy mentioned he is a big dude, like yourself, and he uses the Lightheart SoLong 6.

When looking through these tents, many of them aren't freestanding. So think about where you'll be using them for the most part. If looking to stay at tentsites in the Whites such as Liberty or Guyot where there are platforms, a non-freestander will be a small pain in the ass trying to tie them off properly. So a freestanding will be the way to go there.

But, if staying at tentsites or "stealth camping," where you'll be pitching on the ground there is nothing wrong with a non-freestanding tent. In fact, the weight savings will arguably make them the way to go if that's where most your camping will be done. A non-freestander takes a little more thought at proper site selection and set up to guy the tent out properly. But that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I own two freestanding MSR tents, the "Nook" (2-person) and the "Hubba" (1 person.) Neither are ultralight in the truest sense, but they are light enough for my purposes and I've been happy with them. I'm tentatively looking at a true ultralight tent after reading through that Whiteblaze thread and seeing how little they weigh along with people's experiences with them.

Good luck and enjoy whatever backpacking you get into, it's extremely rewarding.

Last edited:
Thanks Tdawg, I'll be looking thru that thread in a few.

Question about Liberty springs or Guyot...are there areas to puitch the tent on the ground, or is it tent platforms only?

Question about Liberty springs or Guyot...are there areas to puitch the tent on the ground, or is it tent platforms only?

Platforms only, at elevation in the Whites at sites like Liberty, Garfield, Guyot, The Perch, etc. That is, unless you get bumped to an "overflow" area at a time when all platforms are taken. Sites like those are purposely built onto the side of a mountain, as to limit options outside of the platforms and minimize impacts.

I have set up a non-freestanding tent on a platform a few times using some accessory cord. All times I got it up, but was glad it didn't rain overnight as it wasn't as taught as it could have been.

Last edited:
Have you thought about just using a hardware store tarp? That's what I mainly use year-round. I generally run a rope between two trees, and pitch the tarp over it A-frame style, with p-cord running from each of the 4 corners to stakes in the ground. During bug season, I carry a separate bug net to put up beneath it.

With an 8'x10' tarp, there is plenty of room beneath for you and your gear. Even in the pouring rain I've stayed perfectly dry. Plus it's versatile- you can set it up low to the ground if the weather is inclement, or high up if the weather is nice.

I'd say it's at least worth trying out on a trip or two to see if you like it. A 8'x10' tarp generally costs about 10 dollars, compared to hundreds of dollars for a tarp tent.

I'd say it's at least worth trying out on a trip or two to see if you like it. A 8'x10' tarp generally costs about 10 dollars, compared to hundreds of dollars for a tarp tent.
And if you decide that you like a basic tarp, you can purchase a coated nylon tarp (medium weight, medium $, eg http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22217) or a silnylon tarp (light weight, more $, eg http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069).

A hammock might also be worth considering. I use the above silnylon tarp as the fly for my Speer hammock body (http://www.speerhammocks.com/)

Doug

http://www.tarptent.com/

I'm looking for a light tent/shelter for a 3 season (well maybe 2.5 season) time period, something like May thru October. I'm not necessarily going ultralight, because my other necessities (like water) still will weigh a lot. I'd just like to cut out as much weight as possible while still being comfortable, and most importantly, safe.

Has anyone used these tarptents? They look very intriguing, and since I'm 6 foot 2, 280 lbs, I could prob get away with buying a bigger one with still saving weight with say, a two person regular tent.

Talk to me! :)

Look at this

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/custom_hammock/deep_jungle_asym_zip_xl/

We're the same size and this has lots of room and comfort.

I've done the tarp and bug netting thing, it's cheap, easy and light, but a hammock is much more comfortable.

When looking through these tents, many of them aren't freestanding. So think about where you'll be using them for the most part. If looking to stay at tentsites in the Whites such as Liberty or Guyot where there are platforms, a non-freestander will be a small pain in the ass trying to tie them off properly. So a freestanding will be the way to go there.

Tarptent makes a free standing (sort of) lightweight tent, called the Rainbow (one person) and Double Rainbow (two person). You need either trekking poles or stakes to allow it to stand on its own, so it is a bit different than the traditional freestanding tents, but could be a suitable compromise. Here is a link for the two person: http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

All the reviews that I have read or heard about Tarptents is consistent: high quality, lightweight, durable, but some condensation buildup on the tent walls in certain conditions.

If I had to buy a lightweight tent, I would probably choose between a Tarptent or one of those Lightheart tents that TDawg mentioned.

Good luck in your decision, Phil. :)

Regards,
Marty

Tarptent makes a free standing (sort of) lightweight tent, called the Rainbow (one person) and Double Rainbow (two person). You need either trekking poles or stakes to allow it to stand on its own, so it is a bit different than the traditional freestanding tents, but could be a suitable compromise. Here is a link for the two person: http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

All the reviews that I have read or heard about Tarptents is consistent: high quality, lightweight, durable, but some condensation buildup on the tent walls in certain conditions.

If I had to buy a lightweight tent, I would probably choose between a Tarptent or one of those Lightheart tents that TDawg mentioned.

Good luck in your decision, Phil. :)

Regards,
Marty

Thanks Marty :)

I definitely want something that covers me up so I don't have that probably irrational fear of animals pecking at my eyes.

The double rainbow one looks nice, and its really light for a 2 person shelter. Thankfully, Christmas is coming, because I def can't afford these things.

SMD Lunar Duo - non free-standing, uses hiking poles as the poles, floor is kind of slippery

easternslopes.com has a good review of the solo tents from the bigger tent manufacturers

sectionhiker.com has many reviews of all types of shleters - tents, tarps, bivys, bug nets, tarptents, even a few hammocks

I have the rainbow that I purchased to bridge between my TNF tadpole and tarp. I really like using a tarp but obviously sometimes the bugs prevent it.

For some reason, the Rainbow really lacks ventilation. Maybe the netting used is so fine a mesh. I had more problems with the inside being too warm and condensation was there too but maangable.

It is great for room. Almost too much room.

The weight is good too, but you should understand that when you waterproof the seams the sealer adds weight - alot.

You can always improvise a non-freestanding tent without stakes using cord and rocks so that should not be an issue.

Bivy sack plus a tarp. I used to use a rectangular coated nylon tarp from Campmor but now I have a shaped Silnylon tarp. The bivy takes care of any rain that blows under the tarp, and the tarp stays in the pack if rain doesn't threaten. I can't see the point of hiking into the wilderness just to zipper myself into a nylon box.

I have a tarptent and absolutely love it. I have a two-person Squall version that I usually use as a solo tent (it's an older model, I've had it for at least five years or so.) It is really an awesome tent... very light and I don't feel like I'm in a coffin like I did with my prior solo tent. It's definitely a worthwhile investment. I haven't had any issues with condensation other than the normal "don't touch the walls or you'll get wet" thing that seems to be universal.

I've used it frequently on tent platforms without much trouble... it's pretty easy to mickey-mouse it when you need to. I put rocks at the two front corners and then tie off the front & back strings to the platform.

Last edited:
My son has a Rainbow 1 person tent and absolutely love it. I find it too small for my 'girth' ;-)

I've been using Army ponchos as shelter for years. One underneath me to keep out the damp from below. The other suspended with p-cord and thin bungees plus hiking poles to keep out the wet from above. Years ago, when I used to use hammocks, I would stretch a poncho over my hammock too.

I like the subdued camouflage colors, and how rugged they are. However, I'm sure they're a lot heavier than a modern silnylon tarp.