Maine Huts and Trails opening new lodge - Stratton Brook lodge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to see this new hut opening up, too. It is a terrific system and a better buy than the AMC huts. The logistics in supplying these huts is simpler by logging roads gated to the general public and there are no steep trails for those high priced :rolleyes: hut croos to trudge up.

As for "affordable", that is in the eye of the beholder. I do know that the rate structure is designed to meet operating costs and that capital costs, and the recovery or amortization thereof, are covered by donors, such as those noted in the news release. Thank you donors!

We have been to each of the huts at least twice ... once to scout out and once to bring a group ... a small group of the Hiking Hooligans (the name of our soccer teams) will be at Grand Falls this weekend (Sat. and Sun.)... it'd be fun to see some VFTTers. That is part of my modest way of supporting the Huts as I look forward to the possibility of someday traversing the entire network by 1) hiking, 2) skiing/snowshoeing, and 3) wouldn't it be nice by horseback. I'd expect some promotion of biking the system, too, as the new executive director has experience in that area.

... and for those who haven't made hiking plans over Columbus Day weekend, the weather forecast is not that encouraging, these trails are all pretty safe even in bad weather. Poplar Stream is having a cookout (I think it is $10) and that seems like a good introduction to the huts and hikers.

I suspect I share favorable impressions with peakbagger of their off the grid energy and waste disposal systems which they've traditionally highlighted in after dinner tours of the physical plant.

My wife and I are looking into a possible mt bike overnight trip to one of the huts. Maybe next summer or the year after.