Looking for Resolution Shelter info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Never been up there before and am doing an overnight up Davis and down Mt. Parker trails. I know the Resolution Shelter is up there, but am wondering if there's nice (legal) spots around there to toss up a tent. Any info would be helpful, you can PM me if you like. Thanks.
Dan

Yes, the Resolution Shelter has been removed. There are several designated campsites along the Davis Path, just keep your eyes open for the little tent symbols around knee height. There is one at the top of Stairs Mtn. Nice view if the clouds allow.

Another vote for Stairs.

Sunset over the Southern Presidentials is fantastic. From the main ledge 20 feet from your tent, great spot.

I found water in the Stairs/Resolution col near the Stairs col trail junction. Although, it had rained recently and was filtering out of a slow moving mini-stream.

Excellent, thanks everyone. I didn't realize Resolution has been removed! I really do need to update my White Mountain Guide :D
Stairs Mountain it is then! I'll let you know when I get back!
Dan

Yes, the Resolution Shelter has been removed. There are several designated campsites along the Davis Path, just keep your eyes open for the little tent symbols around knee height. There is one at the top of Stairs Mtn. Nice view if the clouds allow.

Yep, Resolution is gone, and is surrounded by a marked 1/4 mile FPA.

When I hiked to Isolation via the Davis Path in August, I found that most of the "designated campsites" were not actually designated with physical signs. There is one marked close to the trailhead @ about 1300' elevation, then there is the sign pointing toward the Stairs Mtn site, but there are 3? others on this trail that I never saw a sign for.

The only way I knew these were *probably* the designated sites was that I had marked up a topo map while talking to the Saco Ranger, and at the expected locations I found flat, trampled ground plus evidence of fire rings. The unfortunate thing is that all of these sites are too close to the trail if they are not "official", so the lack of a sign puts one in a bit of a quandry. Other than these rumoured official sites, there isn't much flat ground near the Davis Path.

I hammocked between Mt Davis and Isolation, but you would have been hard-pressed to put a tent anywhere nearby.

Another vote for Stairs.

Sunset over the Southern Presidentials is fantastic. From the main ledge 20 feet from your tent, great spot.

I found water in the Stairs/Resolution col near the Stairs col trail junction. Although, it had rained recently and was filtering out of a slow moving mini-stream.

FYI: I usually get water in the col where you did, TDawg, but a few weeks ago, it was bone dry.

I spent one night on top of Stairs Mountain two years ago. It was cool watching the clouds scudding past as the sun set, occasionally lighting the landscape with a golden glow, only to be quickly replaced by gray and wet for a few minutes before more golden sunshine came out.

Yes, bring water with you. I didn't bring enough and ended up relying on water from puddles on the rocks overlooking the cliff. None too sanitary, as the little birds were taking baths and doing their not-housebroken thing in those same puddles minutes later. But I got enough and didn't get sick, so it can't have been too bad. :p

Spiny Mouse

Hi all, thanks for the info. Our trip was great! There are two easy to find official tent sites right near the ledges and one more smaller one down a little hill.
Here's a couple shots!
0_0_8810a7b882c3e9dbbc4ee2bfd15724be_1

0_0_499081e3ea383a54d5f976866ccdb93e_1

Thanks for the memories. I spent time camping in both the old resolution shelter location and on Stairs. Both are remembered fondly. Nice pictures, thanks again.

Keith