LT question: parking at the south end of Smuggler's Notch to Duxbury Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me clear up something.

This weekend HikeWithKat and I are backpacking from Smuggler's Notch to Duxbury Rd. Now, the parking lot(s) at Duxbury are some three or so miles in.

My question is whether there is parking or not where the trail ends, as opposed to the lot on Duxbury Rd. In other words, if someone didn't feel like hiking those miles on Duxbury Rd itself, is there a closer place to park? If so, might you be able to give some semblance of directions?

Thanks!

Brian

Current plan is Taylor Lodge or pushing on to Puffer. Unfortunately we are going to get off to a late start on Saturday.

The Post Office is stil there. Across the street is a rail road easement where they allow parking.

Yes still operating and no signs of closing. Great hike

Last edited:
Obviously this is after the fact, but for others who want to know, there is parking across from the post office in Jonesville, we used it last fall, people are still using it, and the post office is so far still open.

To answer "B the Hiker" 's original question - there is a small parking lot about 3+ miles down Duxbury Road as the Long Trail emerges from the north side of Camel's Hump. I was just there on October 5th. The road walk along Duxbury Road is fairly easy as well as we hiked it the following day with Arm as he was doing his Long Trail Thru-Hike.

There is a parking lot about a mile and half down Duxbury Road. This is not the parking lot for the Long Trail. Keep going and look for the small Long Trail sign.

Duxbury Window is a nice place to stop for a snack and look down on I-89 and the river.

Edit: maybe I miss read the question at first: If you are hiking south from Smugglers Notch there is a small parking lot right in Jonesville on Route 2 just before you go over the river on the bridge maybe about 10 minutes down the road after you come out of the woods (about 2 miles south of Duck Brook Shelter.)

Last edited: