Down Mittens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain goat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on down mittens? Do they make a decent mitten liner, or do they get too wet and cold? I am looking for a warm mitten liner for under my OR overmitts. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've never used down mitt's under my OR shells. But have always had good luck with wool. I have thick ragg wool for super cold(-10 and under) days and a lighter pair for most of the rest of the time. I use thin polypro. liners as well.

Dachstein Boiled wool work well

I've never used down mittens but with the risk of them getting wet, or compressed (such as gripping a pole) I'm not sure they would work for me. What has worked well for years is a pair of Dachstein wool mittens. Often I have only these on, sometimes with poly liners (if I may have to do dextrous things periodically). Only with high winds and well belo zero temps. would I need to add overmits.

i wear OR's double pile liners with my modular mitt's but OR's no longer makes the modular mitt's and hasn't made the single or double liners for at least a year. according to OR there PL 300 mitts are cool under the modular mitts, i spoke with them last week about it!!

as long as you shell mitt's are waterproof the liners are safe. if they're not bring extra liners.

Wool liners. Even if it stays dry, down will compress and provide almost no insulation when grabbing items such as hiking poles.

Tony

synthetic alternatives

mountain goat,

I've never bought a pair of down mitts mainly because I'm afraid of getting them wet and negating their insulating power. For Xmas, my wife (under light guidance) gave me a pair of OR Summit mitts, which combine a waterproof-breathable shell and a removable insulated liner. These liners use what OR refers to as "Moonlite pile" for the palms. This supposedly resists crushing and so retains its insulating value when you're gripping things. Primaloft is used for the backs of the hands to give "down-like" warmth where compression of the insulating material is less likely.

We haven't had much cold weather yet and I haven't tried the mitts out in the field. But these are supposedly synthetic alternatives that try to overcome the limitations of down. OR makes a more expensive version (the Alti Mitt), which has the same insulation, just more of it. I'm not sure if OR sells the liners by themselves

There's nothing like down for warmth. But I'm always concerned about getting it wet.

EMS Down Mitts

I found some at a trailhead a few years ago and I love them (thanks, someone). They have a outer shell that sheds water, so I never really seem to have a problem with wetness. If it is warm enough for the snow to be wet, then it is not cold enough for them anyway, so I wear something else.

I have OR overmitts, but unless I am hiking in crazy cold with tons of wind, I see no reason to wear them.

miehoff said:
...I have OR overmitts, but unless I am hiking in crazy cold with tons of wind, I see no reason to wear them.
I love the OR shells in any conditions because of their versatility. I will wear them alone in milder conditions just to protect from snow/ice abrasion, or with various quantities/types of liners as it gets colder. Just got my son a pair for Xmas - $24.95 at STP, but they're running out of sizes...

My wife has a pair of Marmot expedition mitts (the top of the line one) which were fine for AK and MN but are too warm for the Northeast. (She claims to have worn them here, but I don't remember it.) I would stay away from down for the Northeast unless you're regularly exposed to Mt. Washington-like conditions, for the reasons cited in the messages above.

My OR modular mitts are great, now showing their age, and it's unfortunate to see their production stop. I wear the shells (1) with Dachstein, (2) with the OR liners, (3) over gloves, and even (4) ala carte for rain protection in the 35-45 degree range.

I also have a pair of mormot expedition mits with primaloft and found the insulation would twist or slip on the rope when belaying.I traded them for Blackdiamond mercury mits with 300? wt. fleesc and they preform well for me.I would sujest a fleese or pile liner.

Double Fleece liners

As noted above, down or similar high-loft hand-gear is compressed when gripping "stuff". So, other material such as double-layered wool or heavy wgt fleece is an excellent alternative as it provides the necessary insulation without as serious a loss to the insulation as experienced in the more "lofty" insulations (down, PL1/2, Polarguard, et., al.). It is a tragedy that OR no longer offers their Pro-Mod Mitt Double 300 wgt fleece liners - they are quite warm. However, i have found something similar offered by our dear friends in Canada - MEC;

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...255&PRODUCT<>prd_id=11875&bmUID=1104571573079

These are the only other double-layer 300 wgt fleece liners i've seen recently. I can offer no review or endorsement - only that they seem similar to OR's legendary double mitt liners. Another potential "out of the box" solution is offered by RBH Designs of Connecticut and reviewed by backpackinglight;

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00064.html

with RBH's home site located here;

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=10

Again, i have not personally used this gear, but they were a serious "contender" when i bought my OR Pro Mod Mitt's. However, i had an opportunity for an unbelievable deal on the OR Mitts and went with them over the RBH Designs. I am very seriously considering the RBH Vaprthrm mitt liner as a replacement to or supplement for the OR fleece double-mitt for wgt savings and dexterity.

Happy hunting.

Mm

Mttop said:
I also have a pair of mormot expedition mits with primaloft and found the insulation would twist or slip on the rope when belaying.I traded them for Blackdiamond mercury mits with 300? wt. fleesc and they preform well for me.I would sujest a fleese or pile liner.
I should have researched first.Sorry.I can't figure out haw to insert a link but they are in mgear.com.The linner is also primaloft but the palm area is different than the back of the hand,It dosen't "slip,compress,twist"they also are removable.So I guess I would recomend a mit/liner that preforms well and this one does for me. ;)

I second or third, thick (boiled) ragg wool mittens inside liners. They retain heat even when wet (perspiration or accident). My problem is finding the original dachstein mitts made by Ortovox. Has anyone seen them for sale?

Has anyone used both Dachsteins and the Fox River type mitts? I've been using a pair like the Fox River ones (from Eddie Bauer of all places) for about 10 years. About 6 years ago, my newfie ate a big hole in the outer layer of wool. The hole was contained for a long time, but it is now getting bigger and more of a nuisance so I'm thinking about replacing them.

Should I be considering Dachsteins instead? I have yet to find a hi-tech mitt (including the double layer ORs) of any fabric that even comes close to the warmth of my Fox River-esque mitts.

thanks,
spencer

Mitt system

I have never used down except for MTB in winter as they are to prone to moisture and compression as well as not being a flexible system.

I do as the Sardog1 does

[/CODE]
My OR modular mitts are great, now showing their age, and it's unfortunate to see their production stop. I wear the shells (1) with Dachstein, (2) with the OR liners, (3) over gloves, and even (4) ala carte for rain protection in the 35-45 degree range.

Michael CM

spencer,

I used to use Dachstein mitts and wore out a couple of pairs. They were warm enough for regular hiking, and I had some down mittens for real cold weather. When shopping for replacement Dachsteins, I found that the medium size was too narrow to slip my hands in and out of easily (they don't stretch much) and the large size was too long for my fingers. I tried on many different types of gloves and mittens and finally discovered the Fox River brand.

extra thing to pack, but light

Down mitts might come in handy to sleep in. They are light and warm. You could then put your wool mitts and liners in your sleeping bag to prevent freezing. Not sure if it's all worth it, but thats my 2 cents.

What I do, from warmer weather to coldest:
1) Poly Pro gloves alone (to ~20-25F)
2) Poly Pro gloves with OR Overmitts (to ~20-25F, in snowy conditions)
3) Fox River Double Rag Wool Mitts with OR Overmitts (to ~0F)
4) Poly Pro Gloves with Fox River Double Rag Wool Mitts with OR Overmitts (below 0F)

That has served me well, down to ~minus 40F.

I used to use Down years ago for alpine skiing, but found the synthetics much better.