Hiking Dogs from Huskies?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreux_dominick

Reaction score
Hello All,

A number of years ago I remember reading an article in Backpacker about a gentleman who was breeding a hiking dog from Huskies. I can't seem to find any info on the net about them but that's probably because I can't remember what he was calling them. They were called a "(Something) Hiking Dog." Their paws were bigger for snow travel, claws were longer for gripping, coat wan't as thick so they did better in the summer months, and he was working on calming the temperment as well.

Wow! This beats all in the age of specialization! I've met many a breed on the trail, most quite happy and content with little more than the affection and companionship of their owners ... now we need to improve on that genetically?? Hmmm, let's see, might there be some more noble quest for mankind?

Speaking of Huskies, I was hiking in the 'Dacks with a friend who had recently adopted one, "Hunter" ... Pete was the third owner so it's safe to speculate that this pooch had some emotional trauma behind him. Well, Hunter enjoyed this adventure tremendously. It was written all over his face, his tail, his whole body language. And, he knew exactly what to do with the leash ... if Pete had had the foresight of bringing roller skates, he wouldn't have had to lift a foot the whole trip! The funniest part, however, was watching Pete carry Hunter down the ladder between Saddle and Basin.

If you're looking for a hiker-dog, keep in mind that it takes a lot of doing over dozens of years to create a new breed of dog that will produce its type (physical conformation, character, temperament) dependably. I would not count on this breed being created nor stabilized to the point of being reasonable certain about breed expectations. And even then, I have found that the qualities that make a good hiker-dog are largely nurture rather than nature.

I would advise to first decide whether you want a mixed or pure bred dog. If pure, I would then advise to look among existing breeds, and to remember that there's a lot of breeds beyond those recognized by the AKC.

Good luck!

Thanks Dugan, I'm in the research phase for the right dog at the moment. I'm thinking along the line of a Australian Cattle Dog that I read about in another thread floating arround here. Regardless I'll most likely go with a medium sized hearding/working breed. You know, smart, verry trainable, all season coat, good temperment, and good for security and companionship.

That was me and my dog on that old thread about hiking dogs. Check out dreux dom's link to the old thread. Again, not a breed for everyone and not the ONLY good hiking breed, but I would, with hardly any reservation, recommend an Australian Cattle Dog to any person who is willing to put the dog first and dedicate the time and effort it takes to properly train one.

And to the original question...I completely agree with Dugan on this one. Don't go with an early experimental breed unless you want to take a big chance. Go with pre-established well-bred mixed or pure dogs that show the strength, intelligence and temperment to make a good hiking dog.

PM me if you want any specific info on ACD's.

Fred

PS...good story Weird Al. Made me laugh like hell! :D

Last edited:
ACD Info

Hey Fred!

Yeah, I'd love to know anything you could share. (I'll PM you about it) I know a little about the breed and I know that being a working dog they will need lots of attention and activity. I work with a dog trainer friend of mine and absolutly love it. I wouldn't go any other rout. It's amazing the difference it makes once gaurdian and dog have a common language.

Weird_AL said:
This has nothing to do with dogs, but my ex girlfriend had a llama, we had a pack that hung over each side of it that was specialy made to take a llama hiking with you for carrying your gear. well, what a dumb idea, llamas, at least hers, are stubborn, we went ona few mile hike enar her house in the woods and it took us forever, everytime the dumb animal got spooked it would plant it's dumb hooves in the ground and was immobile. it would make silly noises, and once it even jumped on me from behind...
Moral of the story, ask if the girl you might start dating owns any odd farm animals...

AL,
Great story I am still laughing as I am typing!!!!!

dreux_dominick,

My friend purchased a pure bread husky and he makes a good trail companion except if you have him off the leash he chases deer or anything else that catches his eye. I would reccomend a dog that does well without a leash too like your ACD. I have a boxer that I take hiking with me and he is great. He loves people and he listens unlike my friends husky :rolleyes: The only thing with a boxer is he is only a great hiking partner in good weather. He tends to get cold in the snow with his short hair. So your smart with your idea of getting an all weather breed :) Good luck in your search.

ADAM

And don't forget - you'll probably spend more time living at home with your dog than actually out hiking - so when considering temperament make sure it is a dog that you can live with. For example, I'd love a Border Collie to hike with - but I'd never be able to live with one.

I had a husky once and I know others that have them also. Huskies like to run. mine would run all day and come home at night with it's tail dragging only to repeat the same feat the next day. All that fur is a pain in the tail too.

My recommendation would be to get a Labrador Retreiver (pick your favorite color!). They're pretty intelligent for a dog (hey, they use them as seeing eye dogs), laid back, good in all seasons, and that fur is awesome! Last year I hiked the Santanoni Range with my black lab through mud that was up to her collar. Once she dried off, I brushed the dirt off of her and voila! Clean dog. No stink. The only thing that I had to wash was her collar! I haven't had to give her a bath since August. My friend's big yellow dog (brain cramp on the breed) on the other hand, gets major BO even if the humidity is high.

Labs are amazingly tolerant of cold considering that they don't have coats like a husky. Mine has waded through streams and spent the night in a tent at 0* F. (Before the animal activists come and arrest me, know that I tried to get her to stay in a sleeping bag, but she wouldn't do it. She did sleep on top of it though.)

Whether or not you pick a Lab, make sure you get a dog whose temperment matches your lifestyle and environment. I see people that get very active dogs and then wonder why they spaz out when left alone for 9 hours a day with nothing to do but chew on furniture.... like guy who bought a border collie despite the fact that he lives in an apartment in the city (hmmmm).

Good luck! A dog is the best family member you're likely to ever have!

Yeah, good call on the dogs and your lifestyles matching. When I was living in McHenry MD the woman that I was dating there and I took charge of a shepard mix we named Pup. After Puppyhood his daily routine calmed down and like most dogs, he would sleep all day. Once we got home, though, it was play time.

Pup is a great dog and after that girlfriend and I moved to Colorado Pup and I had many occations to hike together. Once was to the Ice lakes, near Durrango and in the San Juans. I felt so bad afterwards because that night it got so cold that he was shivering. Luckilly the doggie sweater and raincoat, that I had so rudely been picked on for bringing, kept him warm enough plus he slept between me and my buddie. That and between walking in and out of watter on the rough sandy ground, his paws became verry sore... Not sure how to counteract that one, except perhaps more hiking and building up to the distances. Any suggestions?

We also did a trip to the Flattops Wilderness for a 25 mile loop trip. By the back side of the loop he was so tired his eyes would close while he was sitting up, then his head would start to droop. But he loved every minute of it and I have some funny/adorable pictures. ^_^

dreux_dominick said:
Thanks Dugan, I'm in the research phase for the right dog at the moment. I'm thinking along the line of a Australian Cattle Dog that I read about in another thread floating arround here. Regardless I'll most likely go with a medium sized hearding/working breed. You know, smart, verry trainable, all season coat, good temperment, and good for security and companionship.

That would be the Karelian Bear Dog. Wouldn't you say Dugan?

Bear Dog link

Ha! With a name like that I thought Barry Sr was joking! I expacted an alien dog in a space suit on a Karelian Battle Cruiser! (You know, like in Star Wars... OK geek moment) (even bigger geek moment - that kind of karelian is spelled "Corillian"...) Thanks Barry, I'll read up on them. ^_^

Dugan said:
If you're looking for a hiker-dog, ... And even then, I have found that the qualities that make a good hiker-dog are largely nurture rather than nature.

I encountered an interesting dog on Osceola last year, returning from the East Peak. It was a fluffy, snow-white toy something or other. At the pitch that is not quite a technical climb, the dog's owners stared up, mouths gaping. The dog had scampered up so quickly it had disappered from sight. It looked like the sort of dog that one might expect to find on a velvet pillow, but it could climb like a mountain goat.

Yeah, what he said; nurture, not nature.

BarrySr: that sounds like a shameless plug... are you planning to share proceeds of your product endorsement?! How did Loki like Wachusett?

Nothing wrong with packing insulation for dogs not as blessed in coat as mine. Used to have a greyhound that wore sweatshirt for running with me in the winter. As for sore paws, depending on the cause, booties might help. As with any new equipment, make sure to get the dog used to them at home.

Please remember that a dog should be conditioned to hiking, or any other exercise, gradually and carefully. They can suffer from weekend warrior syndrome as much as people. This applies more so for a pup or young dog. Too much physical stress can cause orthopedic damage. The damage isn't always immediate or apparent, it can have long ranging effects.

To counteract the high mileage dog-sleepies, try a burger stop. Never had a dog sleep through being offered a hamburger. Actually, this is shameless bribery on my part to help ensure the dogs *really* enjoy hiking!

Regarding sore paws:
I recently purchased a product "Musher's Secret".
Made in Cananda. Guaranteed to eliminate "snowballing" between toes and is claimed to be "excellent paw protection". Natural waxes and will not ståin carpets. I purchased it at the "GOOD DOG" STORE IN NORTHAMPTON MA. If you call them they might be able to mail it to you or help you find it in in your area.
The cost $13.95 for 60 g. I used it recently and it seemed to work well.
Have you thought of a Bernese Mountain Dog???
Talk to a reputable breeder because they do have health issues and it would be preferable to try to start with a good line. I will be getting one in the next few months. They are a working breed so they need lots of exercise and they love to pull carts! I bet they would be great at skijoring.
Good luck. :)

1ADAM12 said:
My friend purchased a pure bread husky and he makes a good trail companion except if you have him off the leash he chases deer or anything else that catches his eye.
Yep, that's a husky. So strong willed and energetic. This can be good or bad, depending what you want from your dog. My girl will listen and behave Sunday morning, and downright ignore me Sunday afternoon. I can't let her run off-leash because I'm convinced she'll be 4 zip-codes away before she realizes I'm not behind her. From my experience, they are not a "time-consumiung" dog, but they do require a small amount of your undivided attention daily. This is good for me and my health as we walk 2-3 miles every other day, but she's not the type of dog to go for a 10 mile hike Saturday and then be content to lay on the sofa for the next 5 or 6 days. But she will run/walk/hike anywhere, anytime, in any weather over any terrain. Day or night, 90 degrees down to -10. Snow, rain, or sun. Huskies are generally a very hardy, outdoors loving dog. They're not a breed for everyone, but I've always loved huskies, and my girl is a gem.

The best advice is to research a few breeds to find one that might suit you, and then check a few out. There are many animals in shelters looking for a good home too, with a few already housebroken and obedience trained. Lastly, remember this: Dogs may be "sorted" into breeds that provide some insight into temperment, but each one is different and unique in it's own way.
Good Luck!
Smitty