Double NEHH Finish on Scar Ridge, 10/13/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 13, 2012: Scar Ridge – West Peak

Trails: Brookway, Lower Walking Boss, Upper Walking Boss, Herd Path, Bushwhack

Summits: Scar Ridge – West Peak

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Larry Donoghue (LarryD), and me

Ever since we started hiking together, Sue and I have been mainly focused on hiking 4000 Footers. A couple years ago during a visit to Baxter Park we hiked some of the New England Hundred Highest peaks located there, and finished hiking the listed NEHH peaks in Baxter on subsequent visits. Having all of the listed peaks in Baxter done made finishing the NEHH list much more within reach. During the past year we have found a number of months with a very light schedule of 4000 Footers for Grid completion and Sue suggested we actually plan to complete the NEHH list together. This became a focus of ours for this year.

We planned the hikes that were needed to even up our lists and then set out to do the hikes. A couple weeks ago we intended to hike Scar Ridge but after checking a few things I learned the planned weekend was also the weekend of The Highland Games in Lincoln. We decided Lincoln was probably a good place to avoid and hiked a different NEHH target leaving Scar Ridge for a “later date”. A difficult weather forecast for elevations over 5000 feet made this weekend “a later date” and completing the NEHH on Scar Ridge became our plan. We made this late decision only a day before the hike. Earlier, LarryD had indicated an interest in joining the hike and was able to work with a short notice.

We all met at the base of Loon Mountain near The Adventure Center. Our plan was to hike via Loon Mountain; climbing to the summit of Loon Mountain – North Peak using various ski trails for the ascent, and then following a herd path and connect-the-dots bushwhack route to Scar Ridge, West Peak. I reviewed reports posted by a number of others and many experienced similar problems along the way. Because of the possibility we would have a very difficult, and very long day, I wanted an early start; just in case. Our target on-trail time was 7:00 am.

When we left the parking area we had a temperature in the mid 20’s, a light breeze from the northwest, and generally clear sky. The conditions were great, but I was looking forward to the sun getting high enough to actually hit the area where we were. We left the lot, made our way to the lower end of Brookway, and started the climb. One good thing about climbing ski trails is they provide a direct way to the top without a lot of extra distance. In a little over an hour and a half, we went from standing at the bottom to standing at the top.

As reported by others, there were two out-of-bounds signs on the east side of the slope near the top and a very short distance uphill from the upper sign was a small cairn marking the start of the herd path. Everything was going great, but I really expected this part of the hike to be problem-free. From the top of Loon Mountain, North Peak to Scar Ridge, West Peak is the section of the hike that included the adventure for the day.

We set off on the herd path. From reports, I had the impression we should plan to leave the herd path in an area that is essentially a three-way col; a low point between the North Peak of Loon Mountain, Black Mountain, and the West Peak of Scar Ridge. I estimated this location and it became our first target. From there we planned to follow a ridgeline southeast to the west end of an upper ridge location west of our final target. Finally, we would head east along the upper ridge to Scar Ridge, West Peak. A main concern I had was to stay on the ridge. Again from the reports I read, the people that had problems with this hike all seemed to have one thing in common, they dropped off the ridge. I wanted to make sure we held the ridge.

We hiked the herd path to the col, which was relatively an easy place to locate. Multiple reports indicated the path made a turn there and headed generally north to Black Mountain. This turn is very obvious. From here we headed southeast to the upper ridge. The sun had made it high enough to be a great help in our hike. Our planned bearing had us hiking directly into the sun. As it turned out, we didn’t really need to work with our compasses very much at all once we had confirmed the bearing and relative location of the sun to it. We were able to concentrate on hiking through the most open sections. In fact, we enjoyed very easy hiking conditions nearly all of the way to our final target.

We reached the upper ridge and reset our bearing. Now, instead of hiking with the sun directly in our eyes we had the sun on our right and we were again able to focus on staying in open conditions. Sue led much of the final climb to Scar Ridge keeping the sun where we needed it and always headed for higher ground. Before long we made our way through an area of blowdowns and soon picked up a herd path that took us the final hundred yards to the canister. To this point, the big surprise we had for the day was – Scar Ridge is an easy bushwhack! I’m not going to tell you we had only open conditions for our hike but the thick sections were few and very far between, and they were very easy to get past. It seems the key to this bushwhack is staying on the ridge; from the time you leave the herd path to the time you break a nail opening the canister.

We enjoyed some time at the canister, we got a few pictures, Sue got a souvenir, LarryD had a snack and actually got most of it in his mouth, Sue broke out some cookies to share, and after some work we actually got the canister open and signed the register.

Note to everybody headed that way: Bring a large pair of water pump pliers, or something similar, to aid in removing the canister cover (screw-in cap base).

With all of the summit formalities done we made the u-turn and started our exit hike. We had the bearings and with a light cover of snow we also had our tracks to follow, for a while. As it turned out, the snow cover was so light by trying to back-track we were taking much longer than if we simply stayed on a bearing and hiked through generally open conditions. Eventually we passed the west end of the upper ridge and shifted from a westerly bearing to a northwest bearing. This bearing was all we needed to go back to the herd path. We generally managed to stay in relatively open conditions except for a small error I made by dropping off the north side of the ridge. We recognized the error, immediately corrected for it, and continued on the northwest bearing. Soon, we landed on the herd path forty paces from the location we had exited from earlier. Not bad!

We made a left and headed for Loon Mountain – North Peak, and then our final descent to the parking lot at the base of the ski area. The walk down was the endless knee pounding a ski trail has to offer. It’s probably better in winter on snowshoes and a little slide with each step. Right now, every step is a little more pounding for the knees and hips. We took our time, enjoyed the views on the way down, and even saw a fox on the trail below us at one point. We reached the Camp III Lodge and changed from Lower Walking Boss to hiking Brookway, which at this time of year is a service road.

Brookway led us back to the parking area which had become loaded with vehicles. There were people everywhere. Evidently, Loon Mountain doesn’t need snow to be a very active place. We made our way to the parked vehicles, tossed our things in the back, said our goodbyes, and got out of there, (way too crowded for me).

Even with the lounging at the summit of Scar Ridge, West Peak, the slower progress on our exit hike trying to actually back-track, plus the course correction, and some extra time at the top of Loon Mountain – North Peak on the way in, we finished the hike a lot faster than planned – nearly three hours faster. I was surprised, but Scar Ridge isn’t the monster I was expecting.

Thanks Larry for the pleasure of your company. We always enjoy sharing a hike with you. Thanks Sue for suggesting we finish the NEHH – I’m really glad we finished the list together. Good hikes – good memories.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

Straight to the album on Facebook

:)

Last edited:
nicely done earl and sue. have had the same experience in a couple trips to that peak. managed to find relatively open woods the whole way. toughest part was returning and not losing the ridge. sounds like you guys nailed it. congratulations on completing the nehh.

bryan

Congrats on completing the NEHH, and on an easy Scar Ridge. Agree that the descent down those ski trails is discouraging. My wife and I never did get that canister open.

Congratulations. When we did it, we did it from the Kang and fell off the ridge because I typed in a wrong waypoint. (was my first time using my gps). I agree... Stay on the ridge!

nicely done earl and sue. have had the same experience in a couple trips to that peak. managed to find relatively open woods the whole way. toughest part was returning and not losing the ridge. sounds like you guys nailed it. congratulations on completing the nehh.

bryan
Thanks Bryan.

Yeah, losing the ridge on the way out is easy. We saw our error and quickly adjusted.

Good hike!

;)

Congrats on completing the NEHH, and on an easy Scar Ridge. Agree that the descent down those ski trails is discouraging. My wife and I never did get that canister open.
Thanks Daniel,

Other peaks have a similar cap arrangement but the other one I’ve see have a better cross bolt to use as a handle. Maybe some modifications can be made to this canister.

Congrats! I did it 10/23/11 and like you discovered, the sun makes a perfect handrail to find your way to the ridge.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I didn’t discover anything on this hike concerning the sun. I’ve been using the sun as navigation aid since I first started hunting (essentially bushwhacking), over 45 years ago.

:rolleyes:

Nice one to finish on Earl. Congrats to you and Sue.
Thanks Skip.

Great, informative trip report, BigEarl. Congratulations to you and Sue on finishing the NEHH. I'm relatively a novice to these things and have bagged 5 of the 100 - 4 Whites and Stratton - so far, so please forgive my newbie question, if you will: what is the cannister? Is it something placed by baggers on the summit of more remote NEHH peaks, containing a log where one can sign in? Is it a necessity to sign it, or would a summit photo suffice?

I'm a ways off from taking on the NEHH as a project, gonna work on the 4Ks first, mostly in NH and VT, then moving to Maine. But things like the cannister perk my ears up with curiosity - always love to learn more. Once again, congratulations and thanks for your informative and enjoyable reports.

Best,

Chris/Driver 8

Last edited:
Great, informative trip report, BigEarl. Congratulations to you and Sue on finishing the NEHH. I'm relatively a novice to these things and have bagged 5 of the 100 - 4 Whites and Stratton - so far, so please forgive my newbie question, if you will: what is the cannister? Is it something placed by baggers on the summit of more remote NEHH peaks, containing a log where one can sign in? Is it a necessity to sign it, or would a summit photo suffice?

I'm a ways off from taking on the NEHH as a project, gonna work on the 4Ks first, mostly in NH and VT, then moving to Maine. But things like the cannister perk my ears up with curiosity - always love to learn more. Once again, congratulations and thanks for your informative and enjoyable reports.

Best,

Chris/Driver 8
Hey Chris,

Thanks.

Yeah, the canister is just a container placed on the summit by the Mysterious Canister People, they work closely with the Mysterious Sign People to identify summit locations for peakbaggers.

Canisters can take on various forms. At times they are a jar, or a wooden box (Cupsuptic Snow has a wooden box), or an assembly of PVC components (most common). Inside is a log book with entries from the folks that have visited. Since peakbagging is an “honor system” activity, there is no requirement to sign the register. In fact, some registers are full and in need of replacement. Some canisters are very difficult to open, which is the reason for my comment on this one. Perhaps some Vaseline on the threads of the cap would take care of the problem. Not over-tightening the cap might also be helpful.

As far as the NEHH as a project is concerned, here’s something to consider. I’m a big fan of getting as much as possible from each trip to the mountains. In many cases, a NEHH peak can be hiked together with a 4K peak. A common combination is Cannon and Northeast Cannonball. Another is Cabot with The Bulge and The Horn. There are quite a few more possibilities. I see this as an efficient use of dinosaurs and a way to keep the cost-per-peak under control.

Good luck on completing your list or lists.

:cool:

Last edited:
Congratulations Earl and Sue! Wish I could have joined you and thanks for the invite. Glad LarryD got to join you!!!!

Hope we get to hike soon.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

I really feel bad about the late decision on Scar Ridge. Making a change of targets mid afternoon on Friday for a Saturday hike is pretty late but the forecast was more unpleasant than we wanted. I know you were interested in the hike. Sorry.

Thanks Marty,

I really feel bad about the late decision on Scar Ridge. Making a change of targets mid afternoon on Friday for a Saturday hike is pretty late but the forecast was more unpleasant than we wanted. I know you were interested in the hike. Sorry.

No sorries required, my friend! As you know, I had some trepidation about returning there, given a tough first encounter. Wanted to go because it was you, Sue and Larry. Am very happy that you and Sue finished the NEHH .:D:cool:

Marty

As far as the NEHH as a project is concerned, here’s something to consider. I’m a big fan of getting as much as possible from each trip to the mountains. In many cases, a NEHH peak can be hiked together with a 4K peak. A common combination is Cannon and Northeast Cannonball. Another is Cabot with The Bulge and The Horn. There are quite a few more possibilities. I see this as an efficient use of dinosaurs and a way to keep the cost-per-peak under control.

Funny you should say that, Earl. I was just last night looking at my WMG North Country map and noting the several NEHH close to Waumbek and Cabot. That would make for a fun peakbag-a-palooza weekend some time, or, if I've gotten into that kind of shape, one heckuva day. Thanks for the reinforcement and encouragement.

I just did an old familiar hike here in CT Saturday where, unlike north-central NH and environs, the weather was gorgeous. Got up Bear Mountain, our highest peak in CT (on the A.T. couple miles east of the shoulder of Mt. Frissell, our high point), 1560' net climb over 2.7 miles, in under half the time it took me two years and three months ago. Was back to my car, even after a half hour break socializing and looky-looing at the busy summit, in three hours, the same amount of time it took me and a friend to struggle to the top together July 17, 2010. I love measures of progress like that. :) What used to be at my very limits was easy - had I the time, I'd've gone three times as far. But I ramble.

I hope for some decent, relatively agreeable fall weather in the Whites before things get too cold. Looking forward to wintrish adventures, but would like to ease into it if possible.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that, Earl. I was just last night looking at my WMG North Country map and noting the several NEHH between Waumbek and Cabot. That would make for a fun peakbag-a-palooza weekend some time, or, if I've gotten into that kind of shape, one heckuva day. Thanks for the reinforcement and encouragement.

Here's the hike you're describing. It's a great way to burn up a day.

Here's the hike you're describing. It's a great way to burn up a day.

Just read your report. Great stuff - sounds like the day came off very well for you. One question: did you do the whole KRT for red-lining purposes, or just in order to traverse the whole range in a day? From a peakbagging perspective, looks like I'd want to start at the northern terminus of the Lost Pond Trail to shave off about 6 miles and 1500' elevation gain, including the opening road walk you had to take. The view from Rogers Ledge sounds nice, but I'm thinking 20 miles in a day and 7300' elevation gain is ample work as it is.

Anyhow, your report is super-informative and most appreciated. Best stuff I've seen on that part of the Whites - thank you! :)

One question: did you do the whole KRT for red-lining purposes, or just in order to traverse the whole range in a day?
It was just a day hike we were interested in completing. We had it on our to-do list for a couple years.

I apologize for the sticking screw-in plug on the bottom of the canister. It was an early prototype, hung five years ago before I realized the need for a set screw drilled into the threads to prevent the plug from being overtightened. Only a thread or two need be engaged to keep the contents safe inside. I should revisit WWScar someday to replace the plug with one so equipped, but in the meantime it's a good idea to carry a monkey wrench or wide-mouthed pliers, as Earl said, if you want access to sign in.