Route 113 in Maine through Evans Notch closure?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Route 113 through Evans Notch is closed yet? I don't know where to look for Maine road closures. Thanks!
Dan

http://www.511maine.gov/ for travel information.

DH and I traveled 113 today from Gilead to No. Conway, quite a pretty drive even though it is only oak and beech foliage left. In bright sun, it was dazzling in many places.

Not sure when Maine DOT will find the $$$$ or the necessity for repairs, but be aware that there are stretches that surely need attention.

NH DOT is repaving their stretch from the Redstone intersection ( NH 16) to the ME border/West Fryeburg, but that project looks to be close to done. Probably more travel interruption / delay in Redstone than actually on 113.

Breeze

I drove through Wed evening, in the ME section there were 2 downed trees that blocked a lane each and numerous broken branches. I stopped a guy going the other way who just said "They don't block both lanes?" like this happened all the time. I did move one branch that was big enough you didn't want to hit it/small enough I could drag it/had nearby pulloff. I guess the highway crew doesn't get there very often.

Several years ago, the USFS closed the Evans Notch WMNF District office on Rt 2 in Bethel and merged that district with the Androscoggin WMNF HQ on Rt 16/ Pinkham Notch. End result being that there are fewer " eyes on the ground" all around, and the USFS mission contracted to strictly USFS issues rather than correllate with <state> DOT issues.

Andro HQ is practically in the front yard of NH DOT's Pinkham Notch depot, and they are a long way distance wise from ME DOT's Hanover depot, and a long way from Evans Notch.

ME DOT doesn't seem " to get there very often", and especially so, now that USFS doesn't get there very often, either. Lack of Eyes .

Honestly, 113 through Evans Notch has always been an adventure drive or a very determined route to a very definite destination. Not many people go there not knowing what is in store for them or why they chose that route. I love driving that road both ways, it is always a fun challenge. Yep, trees and branches are just part of the whole.

Breeze