New Product - Hillsound Freesteps6 - very similar to Kahtoola Microspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
I was in my local EMS store today and saw these Hillsound Freestep6 today. At $39.99, they look like a direct competitor to Microspikes, but these have small silicone anti-balling pads on some of the spikes. I still have the Hillsound Trail Crampon knockoffs but I thought that others may be interested in a lower cost traction device.

I used the hillsound trail crampons for the last two seasons. I am not sure on their new "entry" level line. While researching traction a few days ago I noticed that REI was selling some Kahtoola look alikes for $19.95.

I have seen 3rd world copies of Kahtoolas show up occasionally but usually they disapear pretty quickly from the market and good luck with any warantee. It will be interesting to see oif the $20 REI look alikes last well as witht eh lifetime REI guarantee, odds are you can get them replaced if they fail.

I love my Hillsound trail crampons. Kept them on my boots 'cause Mol and I hiked on ice every day. I cannot say enough good things about them.
Will not be replacing my microspikes. They are not getting much use.

I used the hillsound trail crampons for the last two seasons. I am not sure on their new "entry" level line. While researching traction a few days ago I noticed that REI was selling some Kahtoola look alikes for $19.95.

I have seen 3rd world copies of Kahtoolas show up occasionally but usually they disapear pretty quickly from the market and good luck with any warantee. It will be interesting to see oif the $20 REI look alikes last well as witht eh lifetime REI guarantee, odds are you can get them replaced if they fail.

I think this is what you're talking about. Chains may be effective walking around town, but are they effective on ice-flow-covered hiking trails and ice covered rock?

I wonder if Hillsound plans to add an anti snowballing pad to the inner ring of thier Trail Crampon model?

When researching traction last year, I noticed online reviewers complained about the ring filling in and balling, which is why I chose the Trail Crampon Pro (love them as an intermediate between microspikes and crampons).
I don't have stats on that, but it influenced my decision :)

I need to replace my microspikes and am
very tempted to try the new FreeSteps.

Thanks for posting the link!

Last edited:
I wonder if Hillsound plans to add an anti snowballing pad to the inner ring of thier Trail Crampon model?

The old do-it-yourself anti-balling solution for real crampons is to cut-out pieces of plastic milk cartons and tape or zip-tie (?) them onto the crampon. You could try that for the Trail Crampons, though since people tend to walk on more mixed terrain with them, the plastic might not last as long.

I've looked at both. Each product fits a given shoe size differently. When correctly fit, the rear traction teeth are within 1/2 inch of the rear of the heel. An incorrect fit occurs when the device is stretched to its maximum length such that the rearmost teeth are as much as two inches forward of the rear of the heel. When this condition exists, one runs the risk of planting the heel while descending and NOT engaging the rearmost teeth.

Was in the Nashua EMS store yesterday, and they had a display with two boots, one with the Hillsounds and one with the microspikes. IMO the microspikes were of better construction & materials, and I liked the layout of the spikes (spikettes?) better as well on the Kathoolas. In that store, the listed price was the same for both ($59) but even if the Hillsounds were cheaper, I'll stick with microspikes. I also have a pair of Hillsound Pros, but those are a bit of overkill right now.

Will stick with the Kathoolas when they need replacing.