Man vs Women

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Neil said:

"Hey Rickie! If you think it's 2 quiet just start up a couple of threads: here are some ideas for themes:
Guns, dogs, cell phones, gps vs. compass, 20 liter pack for a January Pemi Loop, lost in the mountains (there must be a fresh story in the news media), hiking licenses, cotton vs. synthetics...what am I missing"

How about this?

Who is the better hiker/climber a man or a women?

Just because men have climbed more mountains doesn't mean women are not at least equally capable or even superior climbers given the fact this is a male dominated activity. I think we can agree it takes more than testosterone to be king/queen of the hill.

First we have to define what the characteristics the best hiker/climber has and see who has the superior combination of attributes.

Lets just have some fun of this...ummm... no need for a battle of the sexes. :D

Testosterone makes men generally stronger but we tend to expose ourselves to higher risk and do stupid things. Think about all of the lost or stranded hiker stories you have read over the years, how many are men vs. women?

Unless you define what you mean by "better."

Exactly! Define it and it won't be general, it will be specific.

In a male dominated activity we may not be seeing what women are fully capable of. Does estrogen make a safer hiker offsetting the aggressiveness of the male hormone? Is mountain climbing a field leveling activity for the sexes?

The late Scott Fisher (testosterone anybody?) once said,
"The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun."

Men tend to be more performance driven and goal oriented. We focus on one thing at a time. It's not just a testosterone thing. Our brains are wired that way (because of testosterone in utero I believe). Women see a bigger picture and are more in tune to their environment both physical and social.

My wife hikes a fair bit but has little interest in lists, likes to snooze on summits, eat freshly cut strawberries etc. When I hike with her it's a completely different experience, more holistic one might say.

I like both my way and her way and don't think about which is better.

I think in a male dominated activity like this most would think men are superior. So far there are not any guys making that claim and not many women responding.

So let me repharse the question. If you had to select a six person climbing team: would women be on the team, how many and why?

If you had to select a six person climbing team: would women be on the team, how many and why?
I would select the 6 best and most compatible hikers I knew. Probably half of them would be women because they are some of the strongest climbers I know.

Just to throw it out there.... I run into a lot more solo women hikers (myself included) then men. Why is that?

Well, of course, if you have only one single man, and you put him up against a whole bunch of women, the man is going to lose. But it's hardly a fair fight, isn't it?

Just to throw it out there.... I run into a lot more solo women hikers (myself included) then men. Why is that?

Most of my hiking companions are female (I'm a male), and most of them have no qualms about hiking solo.

I seem to encounter more male solo bushwhackers than female solo bushwhackers, though.

I would pick the six slowest hikers I know. It would afford more time spent on the trail having fun without it being a race or a competition. The slow pace would be conducive to conversation.

Just make sure there's extra batteries for the headlamps.

That's interesting. Can't say I have noticed that in the Adirondacks but I have seen solo women.

Not knowing the women (and their sense of humor)I shouldn't speculate why they are solo :D:rolleyes: but it could be have fun trying. :D:p

Now I'm in trouble!

Can you really compare man vs. woman? That seems like comparing apples to oranges, given the physical make up of man and woman are different.

Can you really compare man vs. woman? That seems like comparing apples to oranges, given the physical make up of man and woman are different.

Sure we can, different doesn't mean it's unfair, one may be better suited because of the difference. "physical make up" Seems you're implying men a superior?

Sure we can, different doesn't mean it's unfair, one may be better suited because of the difference. "physical make up" Seems you're implying men a superior?

Seems like you're trying to goad someone into saying something controversial. I'll take the bait. Here's a news flash: Men are athletically/physically superior to women. This is not an opinion; it's a demonstrable fact. You can hate me for saying it. I don't care. I'm not running for student body president. Name the sport/activity....Hockey, baseball, football, swimming, weight-lifting, hurdles, sprinting, long-distance running......even the "female" sports such as figure-skating and gymnastics....the men are stronger, faster, better. And while we're at it, let's add hiking to that list. Define "better hiker" however you like, but whether it's a day hike (for speed and endurance) or a multi-day backpack (for strength and endurance), men are superior. It's not misogyny, it's biology. Are there women who can do a pemi loop faster than a lot of men can?.....yes, of course....these women are the exception that proves the rule. You said something about "let's make this a fun thread", and it can be fun. But ignoring reality is tedious and condescending. In the days of red dots and green dots, posts like this would earn me about 3 red ones and twice as many green ones. I've found people like when you speak the hard truths, they just aren't willing to tell you publicly. This board seems quiet lately....someone should start a thread.

Seems like you're trying to goad someone into saying something controversial. I'll take the bait. Here's a news flash: Men are athletically/physically superior to women. This is not an opinion; it's a demonstrable fact. You can hate me for saying it. I don't care. I'm not running for student body president. Name the sport/activity....Hockey, baseball, football, swimming, weight-lifting, hurdles, sprinting, long-distance running......even the "female" sports such as figure-skating and gymnastics....the men are stronger, faster, better. And while we're at it, let's add hiking to that list. Define "better hiker" however you like, but whether it's a day hike (for speed and endurance) or a multi-day backpack (for strength and endurance), men are superior. It's not misogyny, it's biology. Are there women who can do a pemi loop faster than a lot of men can?.....yes, of course....these women are the exception that proves the rule. You said something about "let's make this a fun thread", and it can be fun. But ignoring reality is tedious and condescending. In the days of red dots and green dots, posts like this would earn me about 3 red ones and twice as many green ones. I've found people like when you speak the hard truths, they just aren't willing to tell you publicly. This board seems quiet lately....someone should start a thread.

Goad? Nope. Back to the first post, define/list what makes a person the better climber and why that is important to have on your six person team.

So far we have strength and endurance. Is that all it takes to be the superior hiker?

Now I'll give you a clue to my thoughts before drift goes wild. What caractoristics do wome possess that are superior or different to men that are key to climbing. Pain tolerence, team work, risk perception, better cooks? I'd like to hear what some of the ladies have to say.

Goad? Nope. Back to the first post, define/list what makes a person the better climber and why that is important to have on your six person team.

So far we have strength and endurance. Is that all it takes to be the superior hiker?

Now I'll give you a clue to my thoughts before drift goes wild. What caractoristics do wome possess that are superior or different to men that are key to climbing. Pain tolerence, team work, risk perception, better cooks? I'd like to hear what some of the ladies have to say.

The question, when posed the way you are posing it, is completely irrelevant, and a waste of space here. I believe Neil was suggesting people discuss worthwhile topics, not the stuff that makes elections ugly. May I kindly suggest you drop it and try again with a reasonable discussion topic?
(Wow - good thing I'm not a moderator here!)