Moosilauke via Gorge Brook Tr, Carriage Rd, Snapper Tr 10/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Trails: Ravine Lodge to Gorge Brook Trail to Summit; Carriage Rd to Snapper Tr (with a stop @ South Peak); Snapper Tr to Gorge Brook Tr back to Ravine Lodge

Conditions: Most trails are in great shape, though the newly relocated section of Gorge Brook Trail (after it branches off from Snapper Trail) was extremely muddy. There are long sections of the trail with 4-6" deep mud from edge to edge. A herd path has been started in the woods a few feet left of the trail in the muddiest parts. Signage is excellent throughout the area; it's impossible to miss the relocated routes. No major blowdowns that I can remember, though we passed a couple widowmakers that look like they could go any minute.

On the Carriage road, we came across a trail diverging left and marked only by a small cairn just before the new Snapper trail. I'm guessing this was the old Snapper trail. Might make for a fun & quiet alternate route down sometime... though we didn't follow it so I'm not sure what condition it's in or where it terminates.

Comments: The summit was cold, windy, and under cloud cover when we were up there, so we didn't get to enjoy the view. Things had cleared up a bit by the time we reached Moosilauke's South Peak, and we had decent views of the Green Mountains & great views of the rest of the Whites.

-JoeK