Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Site Upgrade and New Features

Site Upgrade and New Features

I upgraded the forums to the latest vBulletin 4 release - 4.2.0 patch level 3.
    I enabled Forum Runner and published the site on www.forumrunner.com

Please let me know how it works since I cannot test it myself.

4.2 release features

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 11-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

The upgrade appears to altered at least one default:

This morning I found (to my annoyance) that my link to http://www.vftt.org/forums/ which used to bring up the "forum" page--now brings up the "what's new" page. The link http://www.vftt.org/forums/forum.php restores my desired behavior.

Doug

One of the major new features is "Activity Stream", i.e, "What's New". Bookmarking the forum directory leaves you at the mercy of the forum. And yes, they changed the default.

I have the following bookmark - which will give you the old-style "What's New":

http://www.vftt.org/forums/search.ph...e=vBForum_Post

Facebook news feed aficionados might appreciate the activity stream.

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 11-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.

Fixing the default

This particular "feature" of the upgrade has annoyed me a great deal on another forum and reminds me of the introduction of New Coke. Here's a link for authoritative instructions on reverting to the previous default. May I strongly urge its consideration and implementation?
    Last edited by sardog1; 11-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

How do I make the activity stream simply go away so that I can just see the list of threads new posts? I don't give a hoot about seeing everything everyone did.

Ah, I see, i have to use the link Tim posted. So there's nothing I can click any more. The main vftt.org/ page, and "home," and "what's new" all bring up this terribly broken activity concept. Joy.

Is search id 381576 always going to work?
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 11-12-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If you bookmark the "New Posts" link (the source of the link, not the search id, use the link I posted above), you will get what you want. "New Posts" will give you the old, non-activity stream version. I can change the behavior back if enough people want, although I thought I would give it a try for a bit first. I didn't upgrade to get activity stream - rather forumrunner which was requested in the "2 quiet" thread, plus security patches.

Tim

Ah, so I had to literally copy your link and use that, not click your link and bookmark the resulting page.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The link I put up there is the same as the "New Posts" link. Clicking generates a request which causes a search. The response to that click is a redirect (302) to the resulting search. I have no idea how long that search id will "last". It might be that means "everything newer than <click time>", but that's not what you really want either. I already know how to "put it back" (as Sardog mentioned above), but I thought we'd give it a try for a bit. You know how the FB users get all bent out of shape every time something changes, but then they get used to it and don't kvetch any more...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    but then they get used to it and don't kvetch any more...
    Uh, no they don't and yes they do!
    Timeline sucks!!!!!

Here's another vote against the Activity Stream being the default.

Bulletin boards are organized into threads, with individual threads devoted to individual *topics*. I want to see whether there is new activity on any topics that interest me. I don't want to scroll through dozens of notifications that so-and-so commented on such-and-such a thread. If I care about the thread, I'll get that info when I read the thread. If I don't care about the thread, that info is just noise.

Luckily it's only one extra click: once on the What's New tab, the "New Posts" link is revealed. Still, it seems to me that someone who actually wants the minute-by-minute updates should be the one asked to make a bookmark or an extra click. (Or use the RSS feed, what's wrong with that?)

I have no use for ForumRunner either, but as far as I can tell, ForumRunner is invisible to me.

Oh Lordy, I just realized that the home page (vftt.org/ , vftt.org/forums/ , and the page you reach when you click the logo on the banner) is also set to the Activity log. I thought it was just the What's New page!

Kill it with fire! (please)
    Last edited by nartreb; 11-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.

I Like Activity Thread. It's nice to add some spice to things once in awhile!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    . I already know how to "put it back" (as Sardog mentioned above), but I thought we'd give it a try for a bit. You know how the FB users get all bent out of shape every time something changes, but then they get used to it and don't kvetch any more...

I can change the behavior back if enough people want, although I thought I would give it a try for a bit first

Tim
    Good idea! IMHO I think we should welcome innovation and support Tim's efforts with patience.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

I have changed my bookmark to bring me to the forum listing rather than the recent activity, so that isn't a big hassle. My issue is that when viewing items/threads in the forum and I click "forum" in the breadcrumb trail up on the top of the page... it brings me to "what's new" when I would expect it to bring me back to the forum listing I was already at. That seems counter intuitive to me.
    NH 4K's: 48/48, NHW48: 14/48, 52WAV: 15/52, NEHH: 86/100, NE67 (in one year): 67/67
    http://www.mount-monadnock.com
    My Hiking Blog

Weird. When I click "Forum" it takes me to the forum with the subforums listed, not the activity page.

Also, when I click "New Posts" it takes me to the New Posts listing as it did before, not the Activity Feed. It seems only the "What's New" button goes to the activity page.

It should be only 1 extra click to get to the old display (or changing your bookmark) if you don't like the new default page.
    Spiral out, keep going. - Tool

Ahh. Good to see the whining around changes to systems and defaults in play life mirror those at the workplace.

Stash

What matters is what I do. Not what they do.

Hiking Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35709829@N08/