Suggestions for hike next weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigo

Reaction score
Hi. I've done a lot of hiking in the Whites over the years but never this late in the year. My friend (60's) and I (50's) are looking for a scenic loop hike (5-7 hours) next weekend, assuming weather is ok. Don't know if there's snow/ice at the higher elevations but going up high is not a requirement. Just a pleasant hike with views, preferably not having to retrace a good part of the hike.

Two sections I haven't hiked are north of route 2 and off route 113 east of route 16 so wouldn't be against somewhere new. Is there snow/ice at the higher elevations now?
Might there be a good loop going up from Appalachia? I seem to recall an RMC Hut somewhere going up towards Adams. Might be a good rest spot. We'll have two vehicles so different start and end points might be an alternative to a loop.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Since you expressed an interest in checking out the RT 113 area I'd say you should consider the Baldface Circle trail. It's a fabulous loop. If that looks too long for you, then you could go a little more than halfway up South Baldface to a shoulder where there is a trail junction, head south on that trail (Baldface Knob) and visit Eastman Mountain before taking the Slippery Brook trail east to your car.

There aren't a lot of loop hikes in the Kilkenny area (north of RT 2) unless you drive in on the Fish Hatchery road.

There is a vast web of RMC trails on the south side of RT 2. You can put together any length loop you want. You won't get expansive views unless you go high, but there are a number of cascades, ledges and viewpoints, many labeled on the map, that you can connect to make a great hike.

So far it isn't icy, conditions are great. Who knows what we'll have after this week's storm goes through.
-vegematic

The amount of snow & ice you run into varies day-to-day this time of year. Last Tuesday a group of us did Adams, going up Lowes (stopped at Crag Camp, perhaps the hut you had in mind) and down via Airline and needed crampons above treeline as the rime ice was thick. Mirabella posted a trip report of a similar hike a couple of days later and there's a summit photo in shortsleeves and no ice, so ... go figure. And - the impending storm could change everything, as noted.

After October 1st I carry microspikes on all hikes, just in case.

Thanks for all the info. The entire Baldface Circle trail sounds a bit long, although it sounds like an amazing hike. Might consider the shorter loop.

Lonesome Lake loop is definitely a good one as we did that one a few years ago.

Last edited: