Rt. 16 closed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
I am headed north to do a solar install in Lancaster, NH and want to avoid any road closures so I checked this website: http://www.nh.gov/dot/511/.

On it I saw a notice for Rt. 16 that says

NH 16 in both directions: Road closed for season.
between Mount Washington Toll Road (9 miles south of the Berlin area) and Stony Brook Road. The road is closed for the season. Daily. Until March 28, 2013.

Comment: Pinkham B road is closed for the season

Last updated today at 2:03AM EDT

This is the main route from 302 up to 2, right? Is it shut down completely or just for part of the day each day?

Unless it went under last night, the Rt 16 is open. Pinkham B/Dolly Copp road is closed in the winter (it wasnt gated last weekend).

If you are coming up from Portland, the faster and shorter route is Rt 302 to Naples, turn right onto RT 5/35 and follow it to North Waterford, then turn right on RT 35 where it splits from RT 5 and then go north to RT 2. The route from Portland to Gorham is 89 miles. Alternatively head up to North Conway and then 302 west to RT 3 in Twin Mountain and then up Rt 3 to Lancaster. This way is less miles but slower due to North Conway traffic.

Seems to be a some solar being installed in the region, Revision just did an install in Randolph. There are several installation just off RT 2 but they are not visible.

If you are coming up from Portland, the faster and shorter route is...
I'm definitely not planning on taking 16, thanks - it just caught my interest as kind of a big deal if it is closed.

Seems to be a some solar being installed in the region, Revision just did an install in Randolph. There are several installation just off RT 2 but they are not visible.

Yeah, I work for ReVision Energy and was part of 2 projects in Randolph in the last 2 weeks. One was a Views member.

NH 16 in both directions: Road closed for season.
between Mount Washington Toll Road (9 miles south of the Berlin area) and Stony Brook Road. The road is closed for the season. Daily. Until March 28, 2013.

Comment: Pinkham B road is closed for the season

Perhaps most of the traffic comes from the south, but won't this closure affect business at Wild Cat?

I just called NH DOT in Lancaster and was told that NH16 was open. The woman answering the phone said the Pinkham B/Dolly Copp Road had closed.

Edit - I'd also sent an email to the NH DOT Public Information address, and got an email back "NH 16 is open....this is poorly worded and will be corrected".

So, in regards to stress created re: "How the Hell am I Going to Hike the Wildcats This Winter" - at least this won't be a factor!

Last edited:
I called the NH Dept of transportation and they are checking into this and will let me know. I drove though the notch on 10/29 and everything was fine. This must be a typo and probably refers to the Pinkham B road.

I'll update when I hear back.

Edit: Kevin was quicker than I was.

Last edited:
That thud you heard a short time ago was the Wildcat lessee dropping dead on the floor. Too bad he didn't read VFTT in time ... ;)

This notice has to go down in the annals of (mis)communication as one of the most egregious examples of hitting "Send" before reading carefully. Apparently someone at NH DOT needs some time touring the state's highways ...

This happens all the time. The "location" of the closure is on Rte 16, because that's where Pinkham B road comes out and it's gated right near there, as opposed to other roads with several miles open before a gate. It really comes down to who does the data entry into the road status computer system.

A friend mentioned to me today that when he just drove up through Pinkham mid-afternoon, the Peabody was still raging. I was curious since I had been keeping my eye on Moose Brook all day and it just had finally started to settle down.

I drove to Pinkham B Rd. from 16 and drove in to the junction out to Barnes Field, the road must have gotten a bit hammered as there were parking barriers and a road closed sign. One of the fence type (temporary) barrier sides was set to the side and a vehicle could fit through, but there was a waterlogged partially folded over cardboard road closed sign on the other half of the barrier.

There actually was some significant road shoulder washout damage right at the start of the B Rd. before the bridge on the downstream side, and there were some cones on the edge. I could not figure out where the water came from since I couldn't see any significant scouring on the forest floor on the uphill side, and the damage was slightly uphill of and past the lowest point in the road from the bridge over the river.

I have never seen a gate on the Pinkham B Rd. in the few years I have lived here, so it probably was closed right at the junction with 16 at one point post storm- and again the road must be hammered up farther in. And by the way, the Peabody was at normal storm levels when I checked it out at 5:15.

The http://www.nh.gov/dot/511/ web site has been corrected to read "Dolly Copp Road is closed for the winter"

Comment: In Martins Location, Pinkham B road is closed for the season from the junction of Route 16 to Randolf at the junction of Route 2.
Doubt that is true either, or the Randolph FD and every property owner in town won't be happy :)

Anybody know where the gate actually is on that end?

Hi all, I drove over the Pinkham B/Dolly Copp Road on Saturday 11/5. It was in fine condition, looks like there was some road grading recently done. The real bony paved section is still an obstacle course for those with low ground clearance or those who like to keep theri tires aligned, but someone has repainted a couple of the worse rocks. I looked and I didn't see a gate on the Randolph end. As Roy noted there are a few homes and town offices plus a snow machine access trail parking area so the Randolph end is plowed to allow limited access to the houses in the winter but not all the way through.

According to NHDOT District One Highway Maintenance Engineer Brian Schutt...the road is not actually closed in Randolph all the way to US-2. There is a gate just past the houses and Fire Station that is closed on Pinkham B. The description you cited should be changed.

Bill Boynton
NHDOT Public Information
Any clue on where this gate is?