Crampons for Non Rigid Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
Looking for advice on crampons that will work best with a pair of Columbia Bugaboots. I've been using the Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro but I'd like to get something more agressive.

I have had good luck with standard Grivel G-10's. I have even used them on trail runners a few times in the spring at Tucks. The only thing with the Grivels I found is that an adjustment screw in the back heel does wear on one point of the boot. I just glopped on some barge cement on the boot once it started wearing and its was fine until the boots wore out.

This is an occasion when bringing the boots to a store is a good idea. As peakbagger points out, the fit on crampons can be idiosyncratic. These days, there are a number of options with flexible bars that will work on softer boots like yours. The G10 is among these and probably the most-commonly used in the Whites.

I use the Grivel G10s on my Columbia Ice Dragon IIs. Make sure you have the flex bar version. You may need the extended bar for size 11.5 or bigger shoes (I use the extended bar on my size 13s).

Tim

Also use G-10s with a pair of Salomons (I forget the model, but they're soft.) Good idea to carry an extra bar on you in case you snap one.

To expand a bit on Tim's comment - the flex bar is the connector between the front and rear components and it allows for changing the length of the crampon. The flex bar is a version made from a different type of steel which is not as brittle.

In addition - the Grivel G10 and G12 allow the bar to set in a flexible or non-flexible position. It's a simple switch - at the rear of the front component, the bar passes under two brackets. By removing the bar, and then inserting it so that it passes under only the rear bracket, you create additional flexibility. This will make more sense if/when you have a pair of G10's in front of you.

If you use crampons on a rigid boot, such as plastics, then flexing is not an issue since the boot itself is rigid. However, on a somewhat flexible boot like your Columbia's it's important that the crampon be able to flex somewhat. Otherwise, it's more likely to break from metal fatigue.

Also use G-10s with a pair of Salomons (I forget the model, but they're soft.) Good idea to carry an extra bar on you in case you snap one.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and might be helpful is that the bar can be used in either left of right crampon. (At least on my G10s) So I don't need to carry two spare bars, not that the weight is significant, and I suppose it is possible that two might break during one hike...

My boots are not plastic or all that hard.

Last edited:
I'll add to the Grivel G-10 bandwagon. I use these with plastic double boots as well as trail runners depending on conditions. I usually have them on winter rubber boots. One thing to consider - the Columbia Bugaboos are a pretty fat, bulky boot (love them) so you will want to make sure the G-10 will fit as others mentioned. I've never had an issue with the G-10s.

How much do you want to spend and what stores are you near. Like Sar said take the boots into the store. See what they have and find out what you like within what you want to spend.

I find the biggest issue with non-rigid boots is whether the crampon will come off if the boot twists which it may do numerous times on a hike

I don't like the G10s as they only have 4 posts all located near the ends with none in the middle so it's easier for them to twist off, I think people buy them because they're cheap

I am a huge fan of Kahtoola KTS Steel crampons for non-rigid boots. There are several threads where I and others have extolled their virtues. Be sure to get the steel ones, as the points on their aluminum model become dull quickly.

Marty

Although I've rarely needed them, I have THESE CRAMPONS

They have one major draw-back that many might consider to be the deal breaker. They can be hard to get on, quickly. They are easier once the toe straps are set to your boot.

I also have Bugaboots.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Kahtoola KTS Steel crampons for non-rigid boots. There are several threads where I and others have extolled their virtues. Be sure to get the steel ones, as the points on their aluminum model become dull quickly.

Marty

Yup. Pretty much all I ever carry unless conditions are super-duper icy. The front points are much less prominent than the G-10s, as well as having shorter points all around. They also are much more compact to carry and weigh 6 ounces less. One thing that I think they could improve is the quality of the anti-bot pieces, which are just flimsy pieces of neoprene-like cloth. If you have to do a lot of mileage wearing crampons over moderately icy terrain that isn't too steep, the Kahtoolas are much more comfortable, and IMO, safer as far as tripping hazards, whether it be hooking a pant leg or catching a rock. Don't even think about getting the aluminum ones.

I have a pair of Petzl Vasak's with their "Flexlock" binding that have served me well in combination with my North Face Slot series boots. They do have a small lip on the heel which holds the rubber of the binding nicely. It works . They are a bit more aggressive than the KTS Steel that is mentioned above, but still general mountaineering crampons. But I believe the binding system Petzl uses applies to most of their crampon styles. In my opinion, they are easy to get on even with big fat fingers (like mine). Fit boot to crampon> feed strap through toe loop> feed strap through opposite side loop >cinch tight. One extra bonus is that they fit my size 13's without any extra parts.

Boot:
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-slot-gtx-winter-boot-mens

Flexlock Binding/Vasak Crampon combo:
http://www.rei.com/product/766573/petzl-vasak-flexlock-crampons

Last edited:
I've used a pair of AustriAlpin 12 point for a number of years without problem. I keep saying I'll tweak the straps to make them a little easier to lock down but never get around to it.

$170. seems expensive but I bought my stuff a few years ago. :eek: Nice looking crampon though. :cool:

I didn't pay that much if I recall correctly, they were like 30% off but it was a Black Friday sale. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if EMS does a similar sale this year...

I have a pair of Petzl Vasak's with their "Flexlock" binding that have served me well in combination with my North Face Slot series boots. They do have a small lip on the heel which holds the rubber of the binding nicely. It works . They are a bit more aggressive than the KTS Steel that is mentioned above, but still general mountaineering crampons....
Boot:
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-slot-gtx-winter-boot-mens

Flexlock Binding/Vasak Crampon combo:
http://www.rei.com/product/766573/petzl-vasak-flexlock-crampons

I have these too. Very agressive. I like how they fit my boots and as a 12 point they seem more stable (at the store at least) than the 10 points. And yes, got them at 30% off at EMS. Unfortunately they are pretty heavy and I find myself resisting putting them in my pack unless the condition clearly warrant their use.

I've used the Black Diamond Contact crampons for the past 4 or 5 winters, and I've been pretty satisfied with them. :)