Mt Hale via Hale Brook Trail - Sunday 9/28/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivesToHike

Reaction score
Southern NH, Avatar: Durand Ridge above King Ravin
Date of Hike: Sunday 9/28/2012

Trail Conditions: Very easy, at worst, moderate graded trail. Trail surfaces were generally clear, except, as an earlier poster stated, for leaves covering loose rocks and other small objects on the lower part of trail. It's like this on many trails in the Whites this time of year. So watch your step - particularly on the way down.

Special Equipment Required: Poles on the lower section might be helpful, just as they are on most leaf-covered trails this time of year.

Comments: The last time I did this hike was exactly 22 years, 2 months and 2 days ago. Back then, it was still august & summer: hot & humid, bug filled and the leaf-bearing trees along the trails were still well leaf laden. This trip was different: cool, dry, no bugs, and all the leaves were down, giving us a nice view of Mt Washington through the bare tree cover on the way down, as well as other views. The summit, is very treed-in, but is still a very nice visit. (Even more treed-in than 22 years ago, when, back then if I stood on the big summit cairn, I could look down into Zealand Valley. Now, one is hard-pressed to just see the tops of the nearby ridgelines from the same spot.)

All that said, it was a good, very enjoyable hike with weather far-better than we expected or deserved. We actually saw some blue sky and sun, and the abundant pre-Sandy clouds never even so much as misted upon our joy. By contrast, in Southern NH it misted or showered all day.

Given our experience on this hike, will very likely come back sooner than 22 years for next round, and probably head down Lend-a-Hand on the way out.

A small # of photos, including: one of a WMNF Forest Service Hurricane warning at the trailhead are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikesnh/sets/72157631899664938/

Your name: LivesToHike

-------------------------

Last edited: