Anyone have a dog that doesn't like to hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought of getting another dog? It could be the motivation he needs to "take a hike", and you would have an alternate to go hiking with if he showed no interest.
This is a great organization and the young woman who writes the trail reports does a very thorough job describing how each dog behaves on trails.
https://www.facebook.com/FosterDogSummit
I recently got Tucker, my orphan, but not from them. I did this because I thought Molly was getting way too sedentary at home. She is only 2 yrs old. I do have a large fenced in property and they chase each other a good part of the day. They are best buds.
Hiking with a friend just might spark your fella's interest in hiking. It is also company for him at home and if it doens't work out for hiking, you could alternate taking them out. One for a nice walk, the other for a great hike.
I did that with my last Akita and Berner. Bernie had no legs and could walk slowly at a park, enjoying the river. He was very young. Kodi could walk so we enjoyed longer excursions. I would give the one staying home a big raw beef marrow bone and they never gave me a second look as I walked out with their pal. If you happen to get him a dog that hates hiking, he will have company in the house when you go off guilt free! :) This is why I recommend Foster Dog Summit because you will know ahead of time if h/she loves to hike.
I have always had two dogs and had to modify my outdoor adventures according to each one's needs. I may have to do the same with Mol and Tucker. If Tucker turns out to be a runaway, he will have to remain on a leash, so I might have to take them our on separate adventures. I can't have him ripping my arms out of their sockets as he tries to keep up with MOl when he is leashed and she is free to roam.
I really enjoy having the two dogs. This was my first try at having only one and I really saw that there was something lacking in Mol's quality of life.
It's more work and bit more expensive for me but well worth it to see her so happy. As much as I love her and took her everywhere with me for rides, etc., it just isn't the same as having a buddy. Some dogs just seem to need that more than others.

Last edited:
Hi Hiking Lady
So sorry to hear about your friend.

The extra large breeds, in general, do not have the endurance that the other size ranges do. In addition, Pyr's are bred to be a flock guardian, spending thier time patiently watching the flock from afar. They are not intended to herd, but to watch and wait. This innate drive as a guardian may have something to do with your dog's disinterest in going "afar". But to me, this sounds like a physical limitation.

His prior injury sounds like the root cause, but you may want to have him vetted all the same so you can be sure of what activities are appropriate for him now, and in the long term.

Last edited:
If you're thinking it might be a joint or pain issue, definitely get the dog to the vet to get checked out! I've got a dog that's 13 1/2 now, and always loved going anywhere with me that I'd bring her. She's about 60-70 pounds, so not a huge dog but not a little one either. When she was about 8 or 9, she stopped wanting to come along. The next vet visit, they said she looked like she had arthritis from the way she was walking, so we put her on some glucosamine, which helped a bit. We've since stepped it up to rimadyl (basically a really potent anti-inflamatory) as well as stepping it up again to add some tramadol (an opioid so it blocks the pain receptors in the brain) more recently. She went from not wanting to go with me at all to barking at me when I grabbed the leash, pretty much overnight.

The hard part with the pain meds is you have to be able to know when you're pushing them too hard, since they can't predict when they'll be too sore to walk the next day. She still goes with me, but I have to keep the walks short and relatively flat as well as walk incredibly slow so she can keep up. If I need to get the younger dog out for some real exercise, I have to leave the old lady home. It's like checking the weather to see which gear you need to pack, only it's looking at a map and figuring out if Starr can handle it or not.

I had a Keeshound that I rescued in CO. She was 9 months old and I tried everything to get her to hike. No matter what she would not, after 30 minutes she would sit and not get up. Other then not hiking she was the best, loved cross country drives and going in as many stores as I could get her in. I decided not to push it and gave up, why make her do something she didnt enjoy? Two months ago she started coughing and gasping for air, this went on for a few hours off and on. Well I freaked, I ran her to the emergency hospital and they went to work on her. They came out and said her lungs where working at 10% capacity and proboly never worked at more then 40% her whole life. I had to put her down, no way I could watch her gasping like that, I got 2 opinions and there was no hope. In reflection Im glad I never forced her to hike, she simply could not breath at any kind of pace. I would never force any animal to do what they wont or dont want too. I now have an Austrailian shepard I just rescued from a family that lost thier home, he is 4 yrs old and man can he hike. My new dog Buddy wants to dedicate his 4'ks to my old friend Sierra, thanks Buddy I appreciate that.

Very sorry to here about Sierra. Best wishes with the new Buddy! HE is very thoughtful dedication his 4K's to Sierra who, when all was said and done, did the best she could. There is no doubt that you gave her a wonderful life.

This guy ( Larisa's Brittany "Toby") did a Presi Traverse today like it was nothing:

178227_520080584683133_1845620988_o.jpg

We have a new dog that appears enthusiastic initially but does not have great endurance yet. Okay. Me too right now. I'd never assume she was going to be a distance or winter hiker until I had more experience with her.

Dogs are like children. Some can and will and some can't or won't. PS: Great pic, Tim.