Water Availability halfway between Moosilauke summit, Beaver brook and Asquam Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I have never hiked Moosilauke before and I am wondering about the water availability halfway between Moosilauke summit, Beaver brook and Asquam Trail. Somewhere between Mt.Jim and Mt.Blue would be nice ;-).

Well, my NH guide is probably 20 years old and the maps are the black and white ones and the description of those trails doesn't really say much about water availability in the areas I am interested in.

The first mention is on the Asquam trail but that is much closer to the Dartmouth lodge than what I am looking for.

I am planning on probably heading up via Gorge Brook to the summit but then continuing past the summit on AT (Beaver Brook trail) to join Asquam and then down to the lodge.

Thanks for any information. :)

I don't remember any there. The loop you're proposing is really nice.

If you have time, continue .4 on Beaver Brook to the shelter to check it out and a water source is there, then return the .4 to the Asquam Ridge trail for your descent. Hope you have a good view day, it is a nice loop for sure...

I thought about that but isn't the .4 pretty much .4 from hell? :) it's chutes and ladders there. ;-)

I thought about that but isn't the .4 pretty much .4 from hell? :) it's chutes and ladders there. ;-)

Not exactly. You will lose elevation going there, but the shelter is above the worst of the steeps.

The is a spring (sometimes) on the north side of the trail at 4300 feet near Mt Blue. In all likely hood it will be frozen

Not exactly. You will lose elevation going there, but the shelter is above the worst of the steeps.

T Dawg is very correct and you will make good time down and back...true about Nif's info too, I was there a few months ago and some waterbars running but don't know if I'd want any of that...being one who does not seem to need that much water I m sure I could make it with a full bladder and maybe a 16 oz bottle hidden in pack for lunch break...

what everyone else said. That ridge reminds me of Kilkenny, somehow.
It's not a very long loop, you may not need a refill.
Note that when you approach the baker river on your way to the lodge, the trail suffered flood damage. As of my last visit (September) part of this section had been relocated, but there were one or two spots where you might not be sure whether you were on the trail or in the streambed, especially if there's snow on the ground. Not very hard to get right, and if you do mess up you can easily bushwhack along the stream until you reach a bridge by the lodge.
This part was clearly trail, just damaged: http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2012/moosilauke/i015.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I will be starting somewhat late so I thought I would test some of my new winter
hammock camping gear, spend a night and continue the next day.

I was about to second natreb's notion that you can carry enough water on this hike, about 10 miles, that you really don't need a supply ... then I saw you were planning to camp. Consider heading to the Beaver Brook shelter, about a half mile below Asquam Ridge, where I believe there is a water supply.

Thanks. I will be starting somewhat late so I thought I would test some of my new winter
hammock camping gear, spend a night and continue the next day.

Much of Mount Moosilauke is owned by Dartmouth. Thence.......
To quote one of our moderators: "Aside from the Beaver Brook Shelter, there is no camping on the Dartmouth owned land".
http://hikethewhites.com/moosilauke.html

I was not able to find a Map of the actual land on the mountain owned by Dartmouth. Maybe Dave has some insight to this.

Last edited:
Thanks Skiguy. Yeah I was aware of the Dartmouth ownership and I wasn't sure where the boundary was but for stealth camping that wouldn't have slowed me down if I found the right site. :) But as it is - I will most likely just descend to the shelter. No problem. Water availability is a priority. Got to have the hot drinks in this weather :)

Everything from the ridge towards the Ravine Lodge is owned by Dartmouth, and the 1000' wide AT corridor is a no camping zone. Please don't set up there, even in stealth mode.