snow levels in Whites from Weds/Thurs snow (rain?) storm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Hi folks--we got about 2 inches of slush overnight and now it's raining here in Cambridge. For those of you who live up near or in the Whites, can you send some info on how the trails looking are in terms of snow cover? I guess the basic question, for this weekend are you thinking snowshoes are needed or would microspikes handle things. I know, a fairly broad question. ;)

Specifically I am thinking of hiking on the Kinsman Ridge trail on Sat or Sun

Thank you!

--Carla

Given the forecast for Friday and Saturday, Snow is not going be an issue, might be a bit more mud. Most of the snow from this storm appears to have stayed to the SE of the Whites. THere is just a trace at the Gorham Randolph Line thursday AM. If in doubt microspikes will do the job but I expect they may be extra weight.

Just enough for Lowes Garage to make a wrecker payment :)

The NOHRSC Interactive Map is a great way to monitor things from afar. You need to pay close attention to what's modelled and what's actually observed. If you're into snow and ice conditions, this is the next best thing to having a VFTT member on the ground with a cellphone at your preferred location. The more you work with this map, the better the info you'll get. One of the most useful tools is the ability to get real-time data from individual reporting locations.

Last edited:
Carla,
Galehead on Monday had 3 to 6 inches of snow from mid mt. on up. Franconia ridge and the Kinsmans were visible for a time yesterday (from Littleton) and they appeared fully snow covered. Light snow falling down low right now. Forecast here for this weekend is for partly sunny with warming temps. I carried microspikes on the Galehead hike and did not use them. Also never felt the need for snowshoes. You might appreciate gaiters. Photos of that trip posted here at Trip Reports - Galehead 11-5-12. Have fun.

Last edited:
Still Steppin: the link didn't come through in your post, but we would love to see the photos! Thanks for the great info...

Sardog--Gotta love an interactive map--thanks.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't post it as a link --- I was trying to point you to the report I posted a few days ago here on VFTT.
Did you try VFTT - Forums -Trip Reports - Galehead 11-5-12? Photos should be in that report.