Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn Tough Annual Factory Sale - this weekend and next weekend

Darn Tough Annual Factory Sale - this weekend and next weekend

For those fans of Darn Tough Socks, the annual factory sale is going on this weekend and next weekend in Northfield VT. It is right up the road from Norwich University and not that far from I-89. This is a real popular sale with Vermonters and waiting in line is part of the deal. Basically any darn tough sock irregular or second you can think of is at least half retail price. They also make a lot of private label socks, including LL Bean. They also supply the US army with Merino Wool socks with the similiar blend of fibers as Darn Tough Socks. The military socks appear to be the best deal, 12 pairs for $18 for seconds.
    Its real hard to figure out what makes the socks seconds.

I have slowly been switching over from Smart Wool to Darn Tough as I like to support local manufacturing if at all possible plus their lifetime guarantee is pretty attractive. The actual corporate name of the buisiness is Cabot Hosiery Mills, and everything is made in Northfield VT.

For those trying to locate the place, remember Norwich University is not located in Norwich VT (which is 45 miles away). One you are in Northfield there are plenty of signs.

Are the Cabot Hosiery Mills owned or operated by people associated with the Cabots of Boston and or New York?

No idea, I met the president this morning at the sale, he has been running the business for 53 years and was quite proud of it. I have read they cant keep up with demands and are expanding.

I went to this sale when I lived in VT a few years back, and loaded up on so many Darn Tough and other types of socks that I still have about ten pairs still in their packaging. They do indeed last a heck of a long time! And that factory sale is a rockin deal. Wish I could make it up there this time around. Ah well. Glad to hear it's going on now, though. Thanks for the heads up!
    Guthook Hikes! Trip Reports and iPhone Apps

I had heard about it for years but its kind of hard to justify a drive over. I now expect my sock needs are covered for several years after this trip. They have lots of kids styles and colrs and styles. I expect someone with a family could pick up a lot of christmas presents.

I have bought there pair of their AT socks about a year ago and they have been my goto socks ever since.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

A update for those in the area, the 2013 sale is Nov 16,17 and 23,24

I went over on Saturday with a friend. They didnt have early bird hours this year. We waited 1 1/2 hours in line to get in (it is a quite popular event). Plenty of selection on the first day. The best deal is their US military sock seconds, they are a merino wool synthetic blend. They have a couple of deals but the best is buy 2 bags of 3 pairs each for $18 and they throw in two more bags for a total of 12 pairs of socks for $18 ($1.5 per pair). They have some defects, usually a missed row of stitching but are perfectly functional and lifetime guaranteed. I find they are slightly more durable than the regular Darn Tuff socks.

I used to use Smart Wools but have switched over entirely to Darn Tuffs.

The Darn Tuff hiking socks tables gets most of the action. The "firsts" of various types at $6 to$8 per pair. They sort by size but the types are mixed. They also have skiing socks of various types plus bins of dress socks of various types. There are running socks mixed in the bin but a low ratio

The sale runs next weekend. I have only gone on the first weekend so I do not know how the inventory is the second weekend.

A reminder for those nearby is that the annual Darn Tuff factory sale in Northfield should be Nov 14th and 15th this year (2015) and possibly the weekend after. I have not seen it announced but they normally line up with the first weekend of VT deer season. They generally do not advertise the sale much in advance, at best they may do a post on their facebook page and will advertise in local papers.

Hard to beat the prices but the long wait in line is something that locals are used to it but somewhat daunting to newbies.

I still have a bag of unopened socks from a prior sale so I will miss the next few years.

Even their seconds are guaranteed for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bandit View Post
    Are the Cabot Hosiery Mills owned or operated by people associated with the Cabots of Boston and or New York?
    Yes, Cabot Mills, Ric Cabot listed on their site. http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

Any word on when the sale is this year?

They don't advertise it very well, Its usually the first weekend of Deer season in VT (which would be this weekend). They usually post something last minute on their facebook page. I am still working off my last trips socks. It may be worth asking the question on Facebook.

http://stowelocal.com/event/cabot-ho...ugh-sock-sale/

Here you go, this weekend and next weekend.

Folks will be in line long before 8:30 AM (by a couple of hours). Wear warm clothes and be prepared to walk a bit from your car

The best deal is the red dot 6 packs of military socks.

I stopped by on Sunday. Far less of a crowd than in past years. Plenty of hiking and ski socks, but fewer dress type socks than in the past. The 1/2 price red dot military sock deals are no more. They still have the military seconds that seem to have slightly higher durability than the standard socks. Plan on $8 to $6 a pair for the vast majority of the socks on sale. They no longer do the lifetime guarantee on seconds. They still have the table with the mounds of single socks out back for those who really want the best deal.

The last two days of the sale are this weekend.

I believe the annual sock sale is this weekend. First day of VT hunting season. They really dont advertise it much due to the popularity. I read they expanded to a new facility in Northfield and the sale is at the new place. I missed a few years and my inventory is getting low so will try to make a run over. Not sure if they still are doing two weekends. It usually starts at 8:30 AM