Three's a Charm! - Lafayette Success - Old Bridle Path: 11/11/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffAm1

Reaction score
Yesterday's great hike up Lafayette (via Old Bridle Path) began with a call from my wife on Friday when she said, "Let's drop the kids off at grandma and grandpa's house and go hiking this weekend." Great! And music to my ears as it would provide another, now third attempt (in so many weeks), to successfully peak Lafayette.

Our day started out a bit dank and dreary with scattered showers forecast for the morning. But as we made our way up, there was evidence of clearing skies within the first hour. The trail condition was slightly muddy with well packed snow throughout making extra traction initially unnecessary. However, when we got to the first overlook/clearing area the trail became mainly covered by 1-2" of ice. We decided to put on the microspikes and ended up keeping them on thoughout the rest of the day. Without 'em the trip would have been over, and in fact we met one solo hiker and a couple with a dog who all turned around by not having the extra traction.

Continuing on with renewed confidence in our footing, we made good progress up to the Greenleaf Hut where, upon emerging from the trees, were greeted with fantasticly sunny skies! After spending some time changing layers and having a bite to eat, we also chatted with another hiker who was accompanied by his very friendly puppy (Noodles I think was his name (the dog not the hiker :) ). Anyway, now in full sun we pushed on towards the peak.

Since the temps had risen, we were glad to have our rain shells on-hand since being under the trees was like being in the rain due to the melting snow dripping down from above. This also made the trail a bit soft, but nothing too treacherous. As we ascended above the treeline, the views were simply stunning. With essentially no wind, it was alot of fun, and a heck of a workout. The peak was well within reach now and were warned about the blistering winds at the peak by a couple coming in the opposite direction. Sure enough, after rounding the last bend, the wind and cold we all know and love, was there in full force! As you can see in the attached pics, the views were simply spectacular. After spending about 15 mins at the peak we made our way back down through the snow, slush and mud. The later two really became pronounded towards the bottom due to the warm temps. All in all, it was a great day and great accomplishment for the both of us, with thanks to my wonderful wife for making it all possible!

Hope others were able to take advantage of the weather too - it made for some really great hiking

Attachments

• IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4749.JPG
    IMG_4749.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Congratulations, Jeff! Isn't it such a great feeling to get to the top of a great mountain like that? I'm so pleased for you. Looks like the views were extraordinary - beautiful pics.

One question - how was your descent of the tricky parts of Agony Ridge, the mile or so below the hut? That lowest one is treacherous on even the best day. Lots of butt-sliding, as I've found necessary, or did the spikes get you through.

PS: The third time is the charm, indeed. Took me three tries before I got up Washington. Makes it all the sweeter when you get to the top. :)

Cheers, and congrats again,

Chris/Driver 8

Great, another "fair" weather is born ;). Just think what you would have missed if you had made it up a prievious week in the clouds.

Thanks very much! It was very gratifying to finally make it there and on such a stellar day to boot.

The decent around Agony Ridge was a bit challenging, but nothing that our spikes and some butt-scooting here and there couldn't handle. It was about 2:30pm or so when we were at that point, so lots of melting going on, but still enough snow/ice/mud around the edges for the spikes to bite into.

Last edited:
Congrats. It took me 3 trips up Lafayette to see the views too. They are totally worth the effort!

Way to go, Jeff! Stunning pictures... Franconia Ridge is just surreal when snow-covered. Can't wait to read about your future adventures... ;)

Glad to see you finally made it and on such a nice day too! I was across the way on Garfield and had a great day of hiking there as well. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure