Let's bee honest and tell the truth.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honestly Rank Your: Hiking, Non-tecnical Climbing & Backpacking

• Total voters
What a heinous act by Mr.Rankin!How was this allowed to happen?Better job Rickie on this thread,peace....
I wish I was clever enough to tell you how I corrupted Vbulletin, but I'm not. The poll was setup with check boxes, which allow multiple selections, not radio buttons, which are mutually exclusive.

I wish I was clever enough to tell you how I corrupted Vbulletin, but I'm not. The poll was setup with check boxes, which allow multiple selections, not radio buttons, which are mutually exclusive.

So not only is this a dumb poll but the polling method itself is dumb.:rolleyes:In essence it is not a poll but a survey. Therfore IMO it would expunge itself of it's dumbness.

Last edited:
The poll gave all of us an opportunity to think about something other than work, death and taxes! Maybe it's dumb, but you have to love Little Rickie for helping us straighten out our priorities.

"Hate the poll; love the pollster!"

The poll gave all of us an opportunity to think about something other than work, death and taxes! Maybe it's dumb, but you have to love Little Rickie for helping us straighten out our priorities.

"Hate the poll; love the pollster!"

I can live with that. Thank you very much. :D

Bee honest and tell the truth in the same sentence is a redundancy. Example of a redundancy: he descended downstairs into the basement.
Bee honest is misspelled, only one e in be.

I refuse to vote on the grounds that it might

Not true....I descend downstairs into my living room or downstairs into my yard, and occasionally into my basement.

I joined J Carter and voted MYOB. I don't like that term but don't care for "dumb poll" either.
I am way to advanced in years to care about mileage and elevation gain.
My priority is fun, and only fun. My body dictates mileage and gain on any given day, and no two days are alike.
It's always a surprise but I once I accepted that priorities had to change, the fun really escalated.

Addendum: just thinking that the selection "other" would have been a nice alternative. We could elaborate in post rather than have to pick a "derogatory" option.

Last edited:
I chose B, C, & D because it all depends on where I want to go. I don't backpack and, so far, I have always kept it under 28 miles and 7500' of elevation. I'm not sure if I have a desire to exceed that.

Personally I'd pick C or D, but unfortunately my knee has objected and insists I select 'less than A'. Since that isn't a choice, I had to pick something else.

I

I feel the choices were poorly written but that doesn't make the idea of the poll dumb

The choices are from the Adirondack Mountain Club and were only shortened to fit the confines of the poll.

I don't think the poll is dumb. I only offered that option to fill out the poll and lets some folks have a little fun with it and vent cuz no matter what you do someone always knows better or doesn't like what you said. That's life.

Last edited:
Another thought to this, I'm not sure I could trust my own ranking, I may under or over estimate my own abilities and someone who knows me and hikes with me may feel my choice is incorrect!! Plus I just hike for the fun of it. Plus, what I may be capable of in the beginning of the season may change by the end when I am in better shape or have more confidence. I notice that each year when spring sets in I have to start out small and work my way up to the bigger/longer/or more challenging hikes, as my confidence builds. So, again my rating on that may be different at the beginning of the season versus the end of the season.

I get a big kick out of your polls and especially your sense of humor. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

The choices are from the Adirondack Mountain Club and were only shortened to fit the confines of the poll.
So there are no hikes in the Adk with gain 3301'-3500' or hikes over 15 miles with < 3500' ??

Can't get all this into a dumb poll: :p:)

TRAILS OUTINGS SCHEDULE CLASSIFICATION
Hiking & Non-Technical Climbing
Class A Easy trips with a maximum distance of 8 miles R/T and an altitude gain of up to 1200 feet
Class B Trips involving a maximum distance of up to 12 miles R/T and/or an altitude gain of 1200 to 2200 feet
Class C Trips involving a maximum distance of up to 15 miles R/T and/or an altitude gain of 2200 to 3500 feet
Class D Trips exceeding 15 miles R/T and/or an altitude gain of over 3500 feet

All distances and altitudes apply to any one day of a trip. Trips may include overnights and easy backpack to base camp with no increase in classification level. Rough terrain or other situations that increase the difficulty of the trip will result in increasing the classification by one letter.

Backpacking:
Easy Trail travel, 5 miles maximum per day, 1000 foot maximum elevation gain per day
Moderate Mostly trail, 8 miles maximum per day, 2000 foot maximum elevation gain per day
Advance Trail, but part of trip may be without a trail. 12 miles maximum per day, up to 3500 feet max elevation gain per day
Difficult Any of the following: No trail with bushwhacking, over 12 miles per day, over 3500 feet elevation gain per day

Backpacking trips of 4 days or more increases the classification by one level. Hiking experience does not qualify a person for a similar backpack classification. A backpack must be considered as a separate classification.

Borrowed from: http://www.adk-gvc.org/safety/classifications

I hope that helps smarten things up some. ;):D

Last edited:
where's this fit in? ;)

Code:
Day:
1. 6.1mi                                10. 21.3mi
2. 21mi                                 11. 13.1mi
3. 19.5mi                               12. 18.6mi   + resupply in town
4. 13.6mi + half day in town           13. 10.9mi  
5. 21.6mi                               14.  5.2mi     3/4 day off in town
6. 18.9mi                              15.  0mi     full day off in town