Hiking Food Suggestions for Winter, Above Treeline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to eat cinnamon raisin bagels with alot of peanut butter on it and a little jam for a snack or lunch. I use the zip lock bag it's wrapped in to hold onto it so it's not messy to eat with gloves on.

When I hike with Lauky in the winter I have to keep moving. He does fine with the cold when walking but gets cold quickly when stopped so I basically don't stop. I had to figure out a way to eat and I came up with the idea of drinking Boost. I actually use Boost Plus for the extra calories. I carry several with me. I start a bit before noon and take one an hour. Depending on the length of the hike I might take one to four. I can open one and drink it in less than a minute. Quite a bit less, actually. I've found that I feel the effects much faster than with solid food. It worked so well for me in the winter I now use it year round.

I find loading up too much on high energy fats isn't as good as a mix as 50% carbs and fats or so. Some of my fats come from protein sources, cheese, peanut butter, sussage and jerky. Proteins help keep me warm too. Everything is kept small/bite size and rotated into a warm pocket for a while before eating.

When I do snack I sit down (5-10 min) on something insulating (bubble wrap or dense foam)my bottom and or back. I need the rest every hour or so and take the opportunity to snack and drink at the same time.

If I don't snack hourly I will bonk.

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting a couple of those insulated cozies, though I do worry I won't like them hanging like that.
Tim and I have discussed this while on the trail. I told him it would not work well for bushwhacking, or very narrow trails that sometimes are the case in Winter. But he has not had any problems with it.

First, I like the snack bottle idea enough that I use it even in the summer, and even when bushwhacking. I don't find it snags on things.

Second, I had concerns about the bottle cozies as well - BUT in practice, they really are not in the way - not bouncing around and not being hit by poles or hands while moving. They slide right up the strap, open quickly, drink, and return without really breaking pace. Put the snack bottle above the 2nd cozy and then you are eating from one side and drinking from the other (swapping the empty/full bottles when necessary). Hanging cozies outboard like this gives me more room in my pack for other things. I've used them in summer when playing "Sherpa Dad" (carrying extra clothes for both kids.)

Neither the snack bottle nor the cozies seem at all snag-prone - there isn't really anything to catch on them, except for the loops, which are already on the strap and in tight to my pack/body.

Tim

When I do snack I sit down (5-10 min) on something insulating (bubble wrap or dense foam)my bottom and or back. I need the rest every hour or so and take the opportunity to snack and drink at the same time.

If I don't snack hourly I will bonk.
Ideally, one's food and water is prepared and carried (eg in a pocket) so that one can eat and drink on the run or during a short pause--people cool down during longer stops. (For long stops you have to get out your down jackets to stay warm and repack them before starting. Wastes a lot of time.) You also don't want to eat so much at a single stop that it interferes with getting going again.

I adopted an eat and drink every hour protocol when BC skiing. It also works well when hiking.

BTW, there are a number of prior threads on winter food: search on "food" or "winter food".

Doug

There's nothing like hot Campbell's tomato soup on a cold hike. Also herb teas with a bit of sugar. Sometimes I bring both--the extra weight is worth it.

Second the vote for Cabot cheeses which are good even if partially frozen.

Snickers bars are always a winner.

Eye-of-the-round steak, chicken tenders or pork loins! Grilled but not chilled!

There ya go! And a little nip of something to wash it down?

For me, cheeses are great, along with jerky. Ramen noodles in a small food flask can be good. Depends on the hike and the conditions, sometimes it's good to set a spell and heat up some water and make some bouillon or something...the salt is ever so tasty. And sandwiches, but more likely to be peanut butter, banana and honey...

First of all, bacon. Thanks for that your "you're welcome" is apt. :)

I am getting a lot of good ideas. I will try the cozies (was considering those since spring). I just bought some flax wraps (to fill with bacon, steak, chicken, pork, and cheese, of course), I love my homemade gorp so I am covering a lot of the bases with that alone it seems. Cutting sandwiches into strips: clever, I like it. Maybe I'll wash it down with some Boost -- worth a try.

Thanks everyone. Really great suggestions!

For winter I bake maple gorp bars and hermit bars and cut them into cubes. I will also cut a Cabot extra sharp cheese into cubes as well as cured sausage. It all comes together well in the mouth and then washed down with hot tea...

That sounds awesome.

To add to my own thread, I've had those foil pouches of salmon before, just 1) tear them open and 2) spoon contents into mouth. Pretty good, even cold. But I'm not sure how they'd fare in the COLD. I've have to keep them from freezing.

Last edited:
I also bring a steel vacuum bottle with hot soup (temper the vacuum bottle with boiling water first.)

Color me curious. I don't understand what you mean by the underlined passage, Tim. Can you kindly explain?

Generally, this is a very helpful thread. Thanks, all! As for me, I'm figuring almond or peanut butter and honey on ezekiel bread, perhaps toasted, maybe also with bananas or raisins or dried cherries. That and gorp - something warm in a thermos also appeals, both to drink and in a soup, hence my ears pricked up at the above-quoted passage. Thank you again, everyone.

Last edited:
oreo cakesters....or anything filled with cream that's name ends with "doodle"....

Ugh - that gives me the chills. The thought of entering a diabetic coma while winter hiking precludes those foods from my diet! But hey, YMMV!!

Well, winter comes right after Halloween, so I always pack a few of those tiny chocolate bars that the trick-or-treaters didn't get. Just pop them in my mouth and let them melt until chewable.

For "real" food, PB & J on whole wheat loaf bread is great. As someone said earlier, the baggie works well as a handle.

I generally don't do hot soups or other food, to avoid the weight of a thermos. I heat my water before putting it in the Nalgene. One goes in a wool sock in the pack, the other in a cozie on my pack belt. It sits in front of my right hip and doesn't get in the way.

I try to avoid high sodium foods and caffeine because I'm an old fella. :D