Hiking Food Suggestions for Winter, Above Treeline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
laughing cow cheese wheels (boni-bells) unwrapped & put in a zip-lock so only the wax needs to be opened. In sub-zero, wax is a little tough to open but cheese is still good. jerky or turkey perpperoni, pre-sliced works great too.

I put water bottles inside my double fleece gloves, the one on my belt goes in an old hiking sock. The bottle coozies, (OR I think makes one) work great also, but since I have many old socks....

Wow, terrific suggestions one and all. Thank you.

Logan bread? (I'd Google it but I'm having an after hike, Moosilauke, coffee at Half Baked / Fully Brewed in Lincoln so I'm doing this via my iPhone.)

ETA: Never mind, got back and Googled it. Sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Wow, terrific suggestions one and all. Thank you.

Logan bread? (I'd Google it but I'm having an after hike, Moosilauke, coffee at Half Baked / Fully Brewed in Lincoln so I'm doing this via my iPhone.)

I will never eat Logan bread again. It's good but after eating it daily for at least a month, probably more, I couldn't take it anymore. Haven't had it in over 10 years. It was good until I overdid it!

For day hikes or extended backpacking trips, summer or winter, my usual trail lunch is some kind of hard sausage (hard salami, sopressata, etc.), cheese (sharp cheddar, usually), and crackers of some sort. Sometimes something green, cucumbers, celery, pickles. Come to think of it, that's often what I eat for lunch at home as well. Candy of some sort is especially good in winter when you need extra sugar energy.

In addition to what many of you seem to carry (cheese, pepperoni, etc. ) I found that leftover pizza seems to work pretty well in the winter. Sometimes I'll make an extra pizza so that I have leftovers for the next day's hike. I also like citrus fruit, an idea I got from a hiking partner. I peel it, separate it in sections and ziplock bag it at home. On some hikes, I've had the citrus freeze, but even frozen citrus tastes pretty good and is a nice fresh break from some of the heavier sweet foods like GORP and bars.

And for those who gain sustenance from Hostess Twinkies, Wonder Bread, Ding Dongs, Donettes and Devil Dogs, Sno Balls and a host of epicurean delights - stock up. They'd filed for bankruptcy protection and announced today they're going out of business. Stock up now - their stuff has so many preservatives it never goes stale (if you can call it that).

OTH - if a few more states legalize marijuana, maybe someone will revive the brand. ;)

Just returned from a trip to Wegmans, and can't believe I forgot to mention a winter favorite....fruitcake! Just make sure to slice it beforehand, and put a few slices in a baggie. Lots of carbs...and wicked good, especially if you have that Thermos of hot tea!