Short Steep Trip Up Mt. Prospect from North Adams - Bit of the Whites in Mass.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Hadn't done a good, hard hike in about a month, so was overdue. Time didn't permit a trip up to VT or NH - maybe next weekend - but there was unfinished business to attend to in NW Mass - wanted to complete the last segment of the A.T. in the Greylock Range, from Money Brook Trail to North Adams below - so off to the northern Berkshires I went.

Got to the parking area on Pattison Road, next to Mt. Williams Reservoir, just before 2 and departed right at the top of the hour. Trail starts easily, then after 0.2 starts to climb, first gently, then more steeply. It was crisp but not too cold, I was dressed for about freezing and it was, in the valley, closer to 45 F.

Early on, a big sign warns ominously that the firing range next door - shown on the AMC map - makes for some loud reports. It was quiet for a bit and having hiked a couple of CT trails which skirt above firing ranges, I said "Meh, just the occasional rat-a-tat-tat, and it's well into the afternoon, so no big deal." The sign wasn't kidding. After a bit, an unnerving - even to the relatively jaded - BOOM issued through about 1/4 mile of dense woods to the west. Wow, that'll get your attention! I wondered what sort of gun that was and whose shoulder it had just wrecked. Much louder than any consumer gun I'd ever heard. The sign was well justified. More such reports accompanied me for the next mile or so as I climbed the big hunk of rock before me.

So, onward and upward I went. I'd heard many people say how tough this stretch of trail is, so I was mentally prepared, figured it would be comparable to some of the tough grades in the Whites. I had about three hours of daylight, and knew it would take me a while to get up the steep grade. Had prepared two main alternatives once I arrived at the A.T./Mt. Prospect Trail junction - turn around and descend the way I came, or proceed to Notch Road and road-walk it down. Needed to get the short segment between the junction on Prospect and the Money Brook Trail, in any event.

It's a stiff reminder, if one hasn't done good, steep, rough trail in a while, when one gets into the doing of it. I had to take several stops, which I never have to do on easier, more familiar stuff close to home - even on most of the steeps, they don't last long so you can just power through. Not so here, so I had to patiently keep at it, taking breaks as needed. The leaves were all down and the forest ready for winter. Very few creatures about, quiet, still - was nearly windless, even at the top - except to the periodic boom from the big firearm, apparently solo.

The main climb, the central 0.9 or so, did turn out to be similar in grade to some higher peaks in the Whites, climbing about 1150' of the total 1500' ascent. So not as fierce as Ammonoosuc Ravine's 1560' in its uppermost mile or the upper mile of the Falling Waters Trail, but good strong workout, for sure.

As the grade eased at about 2300', amid the hemlocks and fir, there started to be patches of snow in the shadier spots, just a bit here and there. Also, at a couple of springs and puddle spots, some good, hard ice. It was clearly a bit below freezing, I'd say right around 30 or high 20s, in the uppermost precincts. Nothing vexing, just some pretty decoration, one rocky pass which required a work-around. About a quarter mile from the high point of my hike, I get some good looks down into the valley, especially enjoying a small aircraft coming in from the west to land at Harriman Airport. A friend had called and I chatted with him at that point, a rest stop - he and I agreed that it's a treat to climb up a big hill and get the pleasure of looking down at the civilized world below, looking down at an airplane being especially cool.

Then, before long I was at 2500', where the two trails meet near a cleared overlook down to Williamstown and across to neighboring Taconics straddling the NY border with MA and VT. It was a cloudless day, but it was quite hazy in the valley, so the view of neighboring hills and the pretty town were smoky, not crystal clear. Took a few pics and got some water, reckoned I'd pass on the 1.8 mile round trip to Prospect summit due to lack of time - I had about an hour and a half of daylight left - then headed on to complete the last bit of the Greylock traverse-in-segments.

A quick descent past several significant blow-downs had me at the Money Brook Trail, traverse complete. I had decided to take the road walk option. It would be safer and surer, as there was no one left on trail, I was sure - had passed only 5 people in three parties climbing, including a couple and their dog just north of the Mt. Prospect Trail junction, the last fellow hikers I'd see all day, as it turned out. Walking Notch and Pattison Roads, about 4 miles, added a couple of miles to the trip and some nice variety - there were very pretty views out to Stratton, Glastenbury and other northerly neighbors at several spots, and the steep north face of Mt. Williams provided many nice looks at mossy ledges and small brooks, partly running, partly freezing. It was nice having it to myself.

Got to Mt. Williams Reservoir just as dusk was descending, took one last pretty picture of Mt. Berlin in the fading light and my phone died - I'd been listening to tunes all day on it, except on trail. The very pretty picture of the moon over Mt. Williams across the reservoir will have to remain in my mind's eye only, as the phone hadn't the juice left to take it. Just as it was getting good and dark, I sauntered up to my car. Stopped in town to get a flu shot and got a decent, well-priced dinner and lots of Elvis tunes at the Moonlight Diner on Rt. 2.

All in all, it was a very satisfactory tromp in the northwestern precincts of Mass. The Greylock Range is one of my favorite spots. Have enjoyed each of my six hikes there in the past two-plus years, and intend over time to hike every trail in the complex - already starting to plot out the next couple I want to take on, most likely next year. Always love to see that good friend, usually with a friend. This time it was solo, as events allowing me to make this trip broke late and I was unable to invite anyone along. A little solitude in the woods, on a pretty afternoon and early evening in late fall, is a treat and a blessing in its own right.

Will post pics later.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice day on Greylock. Like the view from Mt Prospect by the Money Brook trail. My first time on Greylock was from the Williams Reservior on Pattison...

Jay

I have only been there once but enjoyed it very much and hope to get back some day on a different route. Glad you had a nice day and got caught up on some loose ends.

Thanks, Jay and Chris.

Jay: I haven't yet done that part of Prospect. As I understand it, there are some very good views along the Mt. Prospect Trail between the A.T. and the Money Brook Trail. I saw both ends of the Mt. P trail this year - did a very nice circumnavigation of the Hopper in April, via Hopper Trail, A.T., Old Mountain Road (?) Trail, A.T. again and Money Brook, in addition to my hike the other day. Some time I will "grab" the Mt. Prospect Trail and take in those views. I've got a few Greylock hikes in mind:

1. A larger Hopper Circumnav - Up Mt. P, A.T. to Money Brook to near campground, hang a left and cross Notch Road to Old Mtn Road, up to Summit, around Overlook, down Hopper, then down the trail that descends from near Stoney Ledge - Haley's Farm, something like that - to place of beginning, maybe grabbing the circle trail along the way;

2. Bellow's Pipe from the north to Thunderbolt to summit, back down A.T. to Bernard's Farm to place of beginning, or maybe a longer trip along the east side also doing Old Adams Road to Jones Nose and back along the A.T. - I love Saddleball, it's so beautiful; and

3. More east-side explorations, hitting Peck's Falls and the Bellows Pipe Falls, presumably on a wetter day.

I figure, amid all the other hiking I'm doing, it will take me a few years to "red-line" all the Greylock Trails. Not even sure I want to "red-line," as some of the trails south of Jones Nose, between it and the Visitor's Center, may not hold my interest. But I def want to hit all the trails listed above and a few more on either side of the highest parts of the range. Beautiful place.

Here are a few pics. They're from my new phone, which I had bought the day before. The pics are not posting well to Panoramio or Dropbox, so I don't have them all. (I think it might be an Apple compatability thing with my iPhone, as I seemed to have fewer problems with Pano and Dropbox on my old droid. The iPhone is a big improvement, but there's a learning and adjustment curve even so.) So anyhow, these will have to do for now:

These two are at the northern junction of the Money Brook and Appalachian Trails, not far from Notch Road, in the saddle between Mts. Prospect and Williams. The fir-heavy forest here is beautiful:

2012-11-17 15.55.44.jpg

2012-11-17 15.55.49.jpg

The remaining photos are from the road walk. These few are from the A.T. intersection with Notch Road:

2012-11-17 15.59.30.jpg

2012-11-17 15.59.43.jpg

2012-11-17 15.59.48.jpg

That seems to be all VFFT is letting me post here, so more in another post later.