This Year's Hiking Season, I am THANKful for....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
I always thought in past years someone got a thread like this going before, a chance to give thanks for a safe and successful hiking season, tis the THANKful season after all. I mean, hey, we can save the memories and accomplishments for pre- New Year's.

Therefore, if its OK, I would like to get the ball rolling....

This year I am THANKful for the 5 new trail adopters who volunteered to adopt a trail section in the Region I have the privilege of overseeing, the Franconia South Region. All are hardworking, devoted, and a pleasure to do business with.

Which season are you referring to? Some of us hike year-round so there is always a hiking season.

Oh just in general............you know nothing specific time-wise. So let's say up to this point in time. How's that?

In the 2012 hiking season, I am thankful for everyone who does a good job maintaining trails. Thank you - you make our hiking possible. In a similar vein, I am thankful to Steven Smith and Mike Dickerman for their very helpful 4000-Footers book, which I enjoy reading and is good preparation for hikes of the biggest White Mountains, and also to Mr. Smith and Greg Daniell and to the Appalachian Mountain Club and all who have contributed to the White Mountain Guide, which, with its maps, is a big help for hikers. Similar praise and thanks is in order for authors of and contributors to the several hiking guide books that help me and countless others prepare for successful hikes across New England. Thank you!

I am pleased to have summitted 4000-footers six times, two of them repeats - Washington and Lafayette - and two others, Moosilauke and Lincoln, the latter with its taller neighbor to the north. Moosilauke on a crystal clear day May 5, the day of the Super Moon. It was a treat, as dusk fell, to drive down the Ravine Lodge road, then on the highways through Glencliff and on to I-91, catching nice views of the big moon over the big mountains on the way. Memorable day. This photo of the main summit area from South Peak is one of my favorites from that day: 2012-05-05 17.53.41.jpg

Likewise, the hikes up Washington were deeply enjoyable and memorable. Slogging up the beautiful Jewell and Gulfside Trails on Father's Day to ever-expanding views, the excitement and relief at traversing those last yards up the THC, the rare luck of having no wind and almost no line at the summit, meeting two people who reminded me of my late mom, who is one of my inspirations, at the summit and the memorable descent of Crawford Path, and being pleased to have the mental strength and concentration, body very tired and totally taxed, safely to descend the dry-but-still-treacherous Ammo Trail. This photo of the summit cone from the Gulfside on the west shoulder of Mt. Clay is one of my favorites from that day: 2012-06-17 14.13.42.jpg. What a day - even included my first time camping solo the night before, at the Franconia East camping area on the East Branch of the Pemi, which I found beautiful and took a few snaps of - here's one: 2012-06-16 19.45.11.jpg

The trip up Tuck's and back down Lion Head five weeks later was even more beautiful, if that is possible, and though less ground-breaking, it further expanded my highest climb in one day. Also exhausted after that trek, but deeply satisfied. Here's a view I liked from that day, looking back down at the Tuckerman Trail from on the headwall: 2012-07-22 12.57.20.jpg

It's been a fine year of hiking, and I am thankful to have enjoyed it and to have been able to share it with friends, family and others, in person and on the web, here and elsewhere. As a parting shot, I'll share another photo I especially enjoyed, from a trip up the Ammo Trail on May 12, a windy day where I turned about at the hut, though I did get this photo and a few others near the Crawford Path's junction with the north end of the Monroe Loop: 2012-05-12 16.20.45.jpg. For this moment and many others, and for the many people who helped make it possible, I am pleased and most thankful.

Last edited:
I am thankful for the friends I have made on and off the trail. I am thankful for the two strong legs that keep carrying me over these gorgeous White Mountains. I am thankful for a great hiking dog to enjoy it all with. And most of all I a thankful for my health.

Happy Thanksgiving VFTT friends,
Heather&Kali

I am thankful to be hiking again, even if the hikes are smaller ones (for now). Thankful to be hiking with old friends again, and thankful for all the great photos and trip reports on this site that cheered me up throughout a hikeless 2011.

For Some of us the "real" hiking and camping season is starting on DECEMBER 21!peace.....

OK OK true, true, I get it. This is more about, I am thankful perhaps for, a new hiking companion, or a new bit of advice, new trail experiences, anything we can be thankful for when it comes to hiking that we experinced this year. So, let's call it, " So Far This Year, in the World of Hiking, I am THANKful for...." there, how's that? So far I like what has been shared!
N

I was trying to put a smiley face at the end of my previous reply,but was responding in the wrong format.These days I hike when I can.Happy turkey day or what kind of day you have this week[happy face].Good thread....

I'm thankful for all those people on the internet that post about trails that are out there that I didn't even know existed, whether it be a blog, website or forum! The numerous resources that are out there have helped me discover hikes in the area I live in. It has made for a very successful hiking year and I've enjoyed travelling to the less travelled areas that others are less likely to know about or care to explore.

I am also very grateful for the people who make these trails to newer peaks!! I appreciate that hard work that goes into trail building and maintenance. Thanks!

I am so thankful for the many friends we've made in the hiking community over the last several years. This year in particular: thankful for our new 46er Trail Crew friends (Pete, Joe, Sam, Dave, and many other volunteers) for their hard work, their friendship, and their patient guidance as we learn the ropes; thankful for our new and not-so new friends in the Catskills (Tom, Laurie, Heather, Jim, Alan, Ralph, Connie, Dave, and others) who introduced us to those wonderful mountains, shared many hikes with us, and introduced us to bushwhacking; thankful for our Manchester friend Amy, who gave us a proper introduction to the Whites with a traverse of the Franconia Ridge in September; thankful for Tom and Doreen, our good friends and hosts at our Adirondack home away from home, Random Scoots. Most of all I am thankful for Fran, my wife and best friend. I am so blessed to be married to someone who not only shares this passion for hiking, but who is such an incredible partner along the way. She offers encouragement and support, and the occasional gentle nudge. Her enthusiasm keeps me honest on those days when I might be easily convinced to be lazy...like the day we climbed Cannon after a 7.5 hour drive (I was thinking it was beer-30, but was so glad she convinced me I'd enjoy it more if we climbed first -- and she was right!). Suffice to say that I know how lucky I am!

Thanks to the trail maintainers for all the great work, thanks to Mike and Steve for great trail info, thanks to all on the VFTT community, your trip reports are great and many interesting posts, my wife who indulges my prolonged adolescense(going on almost 50 years now:D), my hiking friends, the many great folks I have met along the trails, the spirits that have kept me safe, and the Whites, Baxter State Park, The Tetons,etc, for continuing to provide incredible views from the top.

My daughter and her health
My family
My health
Clean water
Organic spinach
Snow
Freedom
Love
Rush
Mount Adams

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I am thankful for the chance to get back out in the woods and on the summits of our great White Mountains to enjoy and convene with nature/woods. The peace and strength I find with in from being out in the woods is immeasurable and helps to comfort my soul and lift my spirits. I am thankful for the opportunity to share it with my family and friends on the web and in the woods. I always feel so alive and connected to the earth, empowered by her beauty and strength when I am able to get out and be a part of her. I am thankful my body still is willing to bring me to the places I love to explore (the forests, steams and summits of our great state of New Hampshire). I am thankful for the folks who set up and run this forum that we all have the opportunity to connect as kindred spirits, to share our experiences and make new friends! We are blessed to have the wonderful folks who take the time to maintain all our trails during the year. You are all special folks. Thank You So Much!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you...

I'm thankful for: (in no particular order)

Trails, long and short. Solo hikes to clear my head. Hikes with new companions, and with old. New places. The testicular fortitude to get out there and make it happen. :cool:

Honorable mention: Inclement weather (it makes things interesting?) :rolleyes:

I am thankful to have a job where I am paid to hike a couple days a week.
I am thankful that the organization I work for protects places near schools and libraries so that there will be wild places for kids to explore.
I am thankful to have seen: liverwort, wood lilies, showy lady's slippers, snow buntings, moose, bear spotted salamanders.
I am thankful my children enjoy spending time with me outside.
I am thankful for a week hiking in western Maine with a great friend.