Compass anomaly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman

Reaction score
While bushwhacking this weekend, I found that my compass needle deflected as I moved my hand in relation to it. Not having this happen before, I assumed it must be the gloves I was wearing (it was a bit chilly for bare hands). Others in the group had no problems, so we followed their compasses. On my return home I checked my gloves and glove liners, but no combination of glove and or liner produced the same result:confused:. My outer glove was a nylon work glove, and the liner was wool. Has anyone else had this problem?

Static charge on the gloves in the dry cold environment. Moving the charged glove creates a transient magnetic field. Not reproduced at home because the home environment is warmer and more humid, and the static charge dissipates.

Anyone else have a guess? That's mine...

Is there a metal clip or d-ring on your glove that may have been close to your compass when you were bushwacking, but not when you tried to reproduce the anomoly at home? Did you have a watch or other metal object on your hand?

Did you have hiking poles around your wrists, or GPS, altimeter watch, etc., nearby? Especially the GPS receiver.

No metal clips, d rings or poles near by when noticed. Static was my first thought, but I was wondering if others have seen this as well.

Could be what is in the soil/rock! Happens a lot in the Adirondacks, when lucky one can found North in every direction all the while going in a straight line!