White Cap Mountain (100 Mile Wilderness) 11/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I had for some time wanted to get up into the 100 Mile Wilderness. We decided to pay a Visit by going up to the Katahdin Iron works and hiking up White Cap mountain.

IMG_3948.jpg

As with so many hikes in northern Maine the big adventure, at least for someone without a truck or jeep is the ride in on the logging roads. The initial drive in from the highway to the gate house is very good the gravel road is as good as a paved road. Once past the gatehouse you cross the bridge and turn right. The quality of the road drops off a bit but it is still fairly good. You come to a fork where the road goes left to Gulf Hagus and to the right to High Bridge. The Road to High Bridge drops off some more but still is easily passible with reduced speed. After You cross High Bridge the road is very bad. It is four miles from High Bridge to the proposed parking area. I made it about three miles by going very slow and carefully picking my spots. At roughly 3 miles a road goes off to the left. This is a good spot for a car to stop as there is plenty of place to turn around and park. I actually parked a short distance farther ahead just before the flooded area. A car might get through the washed out area but keep in mind that if you get stopped and can’t go forward you will have to back up. If it’s hard to pick your spots going forward, the difficulty is compounded exponentially when you start backing up. If you have a truck with high clearance you will be able to go all the way to the staging area. If you’re into mountain biking this would be the ideal hike for a bike. With the bike you could go all the way from High Bridge to the White Brook trail. Where I left the car was about 1 mile from the proposed parking area. That adds two miles to the hike but saves six miles of walking to and from High Bridge.

IMG_3950.jpg

Shortly beyond the parking area you come to the first stream crossing. This crossing I predict will stop all the trucks.

IMG_3953.jpg

A short distance beyond the second stream crossing you get your first view of White Cap Mt.

IMG_3955.jpg

After about a mile’s walk from the staging area, you come to a large open field. The White Brook trail begins at the end of the left side of this field.

IMG_3958.jpg

About four tenths of a mile into the hike and you cross the White Brook. A short distance later you come to a split in the trail. The road to the right I understand is the old Fire Warden’s trail. It is not maintained and looks to be a bit of a bush whack. We followed the White Cap trail to the left. It’s a fairly steep half mile to the top.

IMG_3960.jpg

It’s not really a Stairway to Heaven but it is a well maintained trail up to the AT trail. Once you hit the ridge you pick up the AT trail. Turn right and it’s just over a mile to the summit.

IMG_3963.jpg

The summit is not completely open but it does have magnificent views.

IMG_3968.jpg

Your first views are off to the South

IMG_3970.jpg

Lauky was less interested in the views than in laying claim to the old Fire Tower site

IMG_3974.jpg

A short trail leads through some trees where you are treated to some views of what would be for many the end of the rainbow for you can see off in the distance Mt. Katahdin which would be the end of the hike for the through hiker. There must be many mixed emotions in seeing that.

IMG_3976.jpg

We took in some of the other great views to the north, then headed back down, took the long drive home where we were treated to a great Thanksgiving dinner that my wife had prepared. It was one of the greatest Thanksgivings I ever had. It was my wife who had suggested that we have our Thanksgiving dinner in the evening rather than at noon so I could do the hike. That’s pretty special.

IMG_3980.jpg

Last edited:
White Cap is a gem. I can see White Cap everyday as I drive home and it is a good indicator of snow conditions. The access is much trickier than the hike. I've been up 3 X. First on AT thru hike, 2nd in early october a few years back and I had difficulty picking right roads to trailhead (less signage then). I was up early December about 3-4 yrs ago and it was full on winter. It was 0 when I left my house. Snow was thigh deep on unmaintained trail. When I hit treeline it was so windy I had to go into trees to get my shell on. Temp around 0 with estimated 40-50MPH gusts. Then on the descent I hit a white out. White Cap winter 004.jpgWhite Cap winter 004.jpg Looking towrards Katahdin from White Cap early December 2008

Nice report Ed, Did this and Gulf Hagus 3 years ago. I agree the ride in is as much of an adventure as the hike, even with my 4X4 truck.

Yes, indeed a gem. It's one of my favorites. Went amazingly far up the White Brook trail approach one dry summer a few years back and parked not too far from the trailhead with a decent clearance vehicle. Went up the firewarden's trail from WB which was still in decent shape. Another time went in via the AT from the East side and went down the old AT route down the north side and did the road walk back.

Anyone use the old AT north trail? You could once drive to where it pops out of the woods, but now AMC has gated the road system that leads to that trailhead. Once it leaves the AT heading north, it's a bit rough early, but it is flagged in the sketchy places. It's gets better as you descend.

Bill

Boy you sure are lucky to have a wonderful wife who will schedule dinner around your hiking schedule, Hee Hee. Thank your lucky stars!!!!!!!!!!

That pooch has some cool patches!Nice pics....thanks for posting...

Thanks, he wears them with pride.

White Cap is a gem. I can see White Cap everyday as I drive home and it is a good indicator of snow conditions. The access is much trickier than the hike. I've been up 3 X. First on AT thru hike, 2nd in early october a few years back and I had difficulty picking right roads to trailhead (less signage then). I was up early December about 3-4 yrs ago and it was full on winter. It was 0 when I left my house. Snow was thigh deep on unmaintained trail. When I hit treeline it was so windy I had to go into trees to get my shell on. Temp around 0 with estimated 40-50MPH gusts. Then on the descent I hit a white out. View attachment 4245View attachment 4245 Looking towrards Katahdin from White Cap early December 2008

The access is still a bit tricky. Basically, you head toward Gulf Hagus then toward High Bridge. These are marked. Once across High Bridge you have to keep going straight taking neither the left turns nor the right. Most of them are left by the way. Two tenth of a mile up the road from High Bridge the main road goes left (there’s a nice campsite at that spot) you might not think the road even continues straight ahead, but it does. It’s roughly four miles straight ahead to the staging area where you would park if you reached it, then another mile straight ahead to the White Cap trail.

Nice report Ed, Did this and Gulf Hagus 3 years ago. I agree the ride in is as much of an adventure as the hike, even with my 4X4 truck.

Back in 2005 and 2006 when I was doing the NE 4000 footers and the NEHH and hiking in northern Maine I used to wish I had either a truck or a truck based SUV. Since finishing them I’ve mostly hiked in NH and had hardly given a thought to wanting a truck. This past week those thoughts came back to me again. “Boy it would be nice to have a truck up here.” The hunters gave me some really weird looks when they saw me driving in with my sedan.

Yes, indeed a gem. It's one of my favorites. Went amazingly far up the White Brook trail approach one dry summer a few years back and parked not too far from the trailhead with a decent clearance vehicle. Went up the firewarden's trail from WB which was still in decent shape. Another time went in via the AT from the East side and went down the old AT route down the north side and did the road walk back. Anyone use the old AT north trail? You could once drive to where it pops out of the woods, but now AMC has gated the road system that leads to that trailhead. Once it leaves the AT heading north, it's a bit rough early, but it is flagged in the sketchy places. It's gets better as you descend. Bill

These comments absolutely fascinate me. I would love to see a map of the area as it used to be and a map of the old AT trail which I understand used at least part of the White Brook trail.

Boy you sure are lucky to have a wonderful wife who will schedule dinner around your hiking schedule, Hee Hee. Thank your lucky stars!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I’m lucky alright. Not only did she do that for me. This past summer she three times drove over to NH to pick me up. We did the Bonds traverse twice and she came to Lincoln to pick us up. The second time she had to sit in a dark parking lot waiting for us. She also drove over to pick us up at the Gailhead trailhead after we had done a Twins—Galehead loop. She also one time this summer went with us when we did a short hike and waited in the car for three hours for us while we were hiking. She’s a keeper, that’s for sure.

I have a book 50 hikes in the Maine mountains last printed in 2002 and that has an access trail from 1st West Branch Pond. To my knowledge I don't know if it still exists but approaches from the northwest to near the summit.