The Hancocks via Hancock Notch, Cedar Brook and Hancock Loops Trails - 11/23/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazySage

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 11/23/12

Trails: Hancock Notch, Cedar Brook and Hancock Loop Trails

Conditions: All trails were fairly dry, with some rare patches of ice, and no snow to be found. Most of the ice was down low on the Hancock Notch Trail, but there were also a few patches on the last section of the ridge heading up South Hancock. All ice was easily crossed by rock or branch hopping, no spikes required yet. Streams are easily crossed, for now. There are still many blow-downs criss-crossing the trail. Most people should be able to easily get over them, no going off-trail required. It does look like someone’s been up there with a saw recently to do a lot of hard work (Hip-hip-hooray for trail maintainers!), but there’s still more to do.

Special Equipment Required: Nothing right now. I’m carrying my microspikes, but did not need them on this trail.

Comments: I heard lots of people on the loop today, but I bet most people do this loop clock-wise as I only met 5 people all day, plus an extraordinarily well-behaved fawn and white pitbull. The trails are looking a little rough from a lot of boot-traffic. Sections of the trails have deep pits and/or water running down the center, and are being widened by people walking on the sides of the trails. And a few of the stream banks are becoming badly eroded from people wandering up and down the banks trying to find the best crossing.

Jen English

jenglish one at worcester dot edu

65/67 NE 4K (stupid Abraham, stupid North Brother)