Trailwrights list in one winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
Anybody considering the Trailwrights list in one winter? It would require 72 hikes but possible to do more than one in a day. I consider this about the same difficulty as 2-3 rounds of the 48.

And how about a Trailwrights grid? Some people probably have the first 48 covered due to multiple grids, but until TW remove the bogus Lethe from their list that will require 12 x 6 = 72 hikes to the Carters alone.

Anybody considering the Trailwrights list in one winter? It would require 72 hikes but possible to do more than one in a day. I consider this about the same difficulty as 2-3 rounds of the 48.

And how about a Trailwrights grid? Some people probably have the first 48 covered due to multiple grids, but until TW remove the bogus Lethe from their list that will require 12 x 6 = 72 hikes to the Carters alone.

Whaaan.....
What's 12 more hikes at that point?

Anybody considering the Trailwrights list in one winter?

Am kind of surprised it has not yet been done. OTOH, maybe it HAS already been done and the person didn't tell anyone. :rolleyes: Have thought about it myself over the years but more along the lines of doing the 72 peaks in a fast time... realizing, of course, that that doesn't jibe with the Trailwright's rules.

And how about a Trailwright's 72 peaks Direttissima?

I have always liked the Trailwright's list of 4000 footers because I think all those peaks - even Lethe - are deserving of status. :)

Has anyone done the Trailwrights as the primary goal? I've managed to count 64 of 72 via "leave no stragglers" and multiple rounds of the 48 (and I still have two more in the Carters...) I picked up Sam Adams on Friday while visiting Adams and Madison.

Tim

Anybody considering the Trailwrights list in one winter? It would require 72 hikes but possible to do more than one in a day. I consider this about the same difficulty as 2-3 rounds of the 48.QUOTE]

Wouldn't this require the 72 hrs of trailwork in winter? I think that it would be hard to do much else other than brushing and maybe some blazing.

Wouldn't this require the 72 hrs of trailwork in winter? I think that it would be hard to do much else other than brushing and maybe some blazing.
Trailwrights doesn't normally run trailwork trips in winter but maybe would make an exception for the required trips with them, it might be an ideal time to prune branches overhead

I have done blowdown removal in January after a major windstorm, the part frozen into snow was left till Spring

And I can't see that the work needs to be done in NH, you could use herbicide to clear trails on St. Thomas for the Park Service

Bogus or not it is on the list and will stay there permanently. What's a few more hikes?? :)
You could bring back Middle Hancock instead, which has the 100' col that bogus Lethe does not

Other than the (3) work outings that must be with the Trailwrights on a scheduled work day, the website is silent as to in which state the remaining hours to be worked need to be located. Trailwrights is a NH based organization and TW scheduled work days are typically in NH. However, many TW members perform trail work in other states with organizations in those states. Examples would be in Baxter State Park and Mt. Tom in MA. Presumably, those working on their 72 hours could do the same.

There is no requirement to perform trail work in winter to qualify for completion of the 72 peaks in winter. The trail work requirements for either a three-season completion or a winter completion are identical. That said, trail work doesn’t necessarily cease with the snow as many know.

The Trailwrights’ website lists the rationale for inclusion of peaks on their list as well as rules for completion. For those unfamiliar with the Trailwrights, use the link below.

http://www.trailwrights.org/72summits.htm

Tim, I know of one person who has completed TW72 as a primary goal. He and I finished on SW Twin last year.

Bruce
TW72 – 2011
TWW72 – 64/72

Trailwrights said:
Our criteria for selecting these peaks were:
1) Must be 4000 feet or higher.
2) Must have a name or 100' col.
3) Must be on USGS map listed.
http://www.trailwrights.org/docs/72list.pdf
Bogus Lethe does not have a 100' col or a name on the USGS map and is not in GNIS database
The place called Lethe on the AMC map is not the correct location of the original Lethe which is unknown

Middle Hancock does have 100' col and should replace Bogus Lethe if the list is to remain consistent with its rules

Bogus Lethe does not have a 100' col or a name on the USGS map and is not in GNIS database
The place called Lethe on the AMC map is not the correct location of the original Lethe which is unknown

Middle Hancock does have 100' col and should replace Bogus Lethe if the list is to remain consistent with its rules

Because of map changes with new measurments Trailwrights decided to stay with the original list that was adopted.
The only change was because SW Hancock was missed by ME for some reason. At the time we debated to change the number to 73 or stay with the original 72 number. Also when Middle Hancock was approved we could not be certain of the 100 foot col. It was measured several times but it was not positive but it was definatley 4,000. We decided to drop it from the list rather than change the number to 73.
As for Lethe it was on The AMC Map at the time and was 4,000 and had a name so it counted.
Again we decided to keep it on the list regardless.
We also decided that we will not keep changing the list in the future every time new measurments are given as the AMC does. It is not necessary in our opinion.
The rules do not say that all 3 are required , only any one of those three or a combination . It depends on how you interpret the rules. We do not intened to hire a lawyer to make the rules but something to guide us at the time.
We could have included others but decided that we had enough.
It is SIMPLE just do the list do your 72 hours and you can be a member or NOT.
The idea of a list is to spread the load so to speak and not to be perfect.
Gene Daniell has said many times that if a person does not like the list then make up your own. I agree wholeheartedly with him on that.
As far as "Bogus" is concerned I think it is "bogus" to say you are climbing Lincoln from Lafayette or Lafeyette from Lincoln and claim you are climbng a 4,000 footer when you are really climbing 200 feet or a little more in some cases.
The AMC list is a lot of fun and an ideal goal or objective for many people. So is the Trailwrights 72 Summits. Neither are PURE so lets give it a rest and enjoy what BOTH have to offer.

Also when Middle Hancock was approved we could not be certain of the 100 foot col. It was measured several times but it was not positive but it was definatley 4,000. We decided to drop it from the list rather than change the number to 73.
As for Lethe it was on The AMC Map at the time and was 4,000 and had a name so it counted.
Again we decided to keep it on the list regardless.
We also decided that we will not keep changing the list in the future every time new measurments are given as the AMC does. It is not necessary in our opinion.
If the Trailwrights wish to keep 4584 on their list, they should call it 4584 which it is instead of Lethe which it is not

If the USGS map is correct, the col with 4584 is 4420-4439 feet hence col depth is 45 to 64 feet
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.30555,-71.16737&z=15&t=T

If the USGS map is correct, the summit of Middle Hancock is 4280-4319 feet and the col with S Hancock is 4160-4199 feet hence col depth is 81 to 159 feet so clearly more col than 4584
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.07559,-71.48533&z=15&t=T

Seems that you do not understand. We don't care about any changes. That was the list at the time we made it, using what was available at the time. Errors or not.
We do NOt believe every time a new measurement comes out that we need to change. That is the list no matter what you believe. Like or not. No one or group is perfect so lets end this nonsense.
Right, Wrong or Questionable that list is final so live with it or ignore it.
This post is getting off subject lets keep it on the original tack of winter.