Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) has been sold...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link worked for me. Funny, I was just on the EMS web site then I switched to this. I live 5 miles from the main Peterborough store and it will be interesting to see what changes will take place. Most of my gear consists of customer returns and clearance items from the store's "bargain corner" so I hope that they don't change that!

I just looked at Bob's Stores - seems like their market is outdoor work clothes. Will have to wait and see.

I just looked at Bob's Stores - seems like their market is outdoor work clothes. Will have to wait and see.

Bob's used to advertise a lot here in CT. Working class marketer of jeans, t-shirts and similar wear. Comfort, convenience and low price are the hallmarks. Will be interesting to see how the franchises interact.

We had Bob Stores in NJ, they seem to offer a lot of coupons though not as much as Bloodbath & Beyond but with the coupons, you could get some cheap sneakers and stuff like back-to-school clothes and stuff... I don't really think of them as outdoor work clothes as much as a small dept store that sells everything related to clothes. Not a lot of "home goods" so not really like a Marshalls but similar discount store like..

Jay

I've been told that EMS stands for Every Month a Sale. Let's hope the 20% off sales continue.

Looking at Versa Capital Management's portfolio, they also own Polartec http://www.versa.com/portfolio.php

Last edited:
I havent bought much from their retail for several years. When I was informed a few year back that the North Conway store didnt stock repair parts for Lekis (pole tips) and they tried to switch me over to buying new poles that was the last time I walked in the place.

I think they do a heck of a job, and have always solidly stood behind their products. Let's hope that continues under the new ownership.

Versa buys troubled companies with the goal of fixing them. Near term changes will include stopping what's not working and doing more of what does. (closing unprofitable stores and activities and discontinuing unprofitable product offerings). Behind the scenes they will pump money into the business to start marketing aggressively while working to sort out operational issues and rationalize vendors. Longer term it should mean a clear strategy and vision for the company plus some bold leadership instead of people doing CYA activities. Expect turnover of 4 - 8 significant positions at headquarters and good opportunities for people at the store level. There is a reason that REI has flourished into a national brand while EMS has languished (management). Versa will work to sort that out. I'd love to see EMS work and I'd love to see it become as strong as REI.

I wish them luck.

Chugach001- very concise assessment of what is happening and what they will do, only thing you missed was that private equity m.o. is usually to flip the company after a few years too. I should say I am a very satisfied EMS customer and have been for a long time. I hope changes are only to our benefit.

Wow - he gets free monogramming with every purchase!

That was the idea!

He always points it out to the staff when he makes a purchase there, and they get a kick out of it.

EMS has really gone downhill since they went to a freestanding store model. I don't know how they have stayed in business after that. It makes no sense for me to go out of my way to go there. When they were in the mall (Newington), I'd go more often because I could shop for other things at the mall. I am much more apt to go to Kittery Trading Post or REI for a better brand selection and more extensive manufacturers to choose from when it comes to gear.

Interesting the link between Versa/EMS/Polartec. A couple of their jackets, men's and women's currently in store, plus possibly a women's base layer are made from Polartec fabrics (Windstop Fleece, Powerdry, NeoShell) and include the Polartec label, but are EMS brand. My husband and I were wondering about that - why they licensed the brand named fabric rather than a knock off and if they were trying to improve quality or compete with more expensive brands that use higher quality technical fabrics. Maybe this is part of the answer?

Maybe they'll rename it Polartec Mountain Sports... :)

Versa buys troubled companies with the goal of fixing them. Near term changes will include stopping what's not working and doing more of what does. (closing unprofitable stores and activities and discontinuing unprofitable product offerings). Behind the scenes they will pump money into the business to start marketing aggressively while working to sort out operational issues and rationalize vendors. Longer term it should mean a clear strategy and vision for the company plus some bold leadership instead of people doing CYA activities. Expect turnover of 4 - 8 significant positions at headquarters and good opportunities for people at the store level. There is a reason that REI has flourished into a national brand while EMS has languished (management). Versa will work to sort that out. I'd love to see EMS work and I'd love to see it become as strong as REI.

I wish them luck.

I appreciate this perspective. It has appeared to me that EMS had increased its marketing quite a bit recently. Isn't Versa's Polartec the manufacturer of the new product said to be better than Goretex?