hunting season safety gear - will lime/high-vsibility green work?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffin

Reaction score
I know that blaze orange is the standard for hunting-season safety gear, but my mom just got our lab-mix a lime-green high-visibility coat (this one http://d-fa.com/lightbox/images/large/moonwalker2.jpg) fall hiking and I was wondering if that would also work? I seem to recall reading a reference to optic yellow/green as an possible option here but can't seem to find the post.

Here in Maine, Hunter Orange wear is mandated by law. Since it applies to hunters I'm not sure how it applies to non-hunters and dogs. It would be best to check hunting regulations for your state.

I think that if you wore the flourescent green and were observed in the woods by F&G they might say something. Don't know if I would personally risk it since hunters are normally focused on blaze orange sightings in the woods.

Since my Lab mix likes to range about 100 yards from me while we are bushwhacking I have him wear his "colors" off season too so I can keep track of him in the fall and winter woods.

High-visibility green will work just fine, and no one from NH Fish and Game will say anything other than to compliment you on your good sense. I know there are places where non-hunters are required to wear blaze/hunter orange in the Northeast, but NH isn't one of them (nor is Maine, for that matter.) The sad reality is that NH doesn't even require it for hunters, which is just plain stupid.

My wife wears a blaze orange vest on her dog rambles during the deer seasons that are open for muzzleloaders and firearms generally, as does her dog that is constantly mistaken for a wolf by people who've never seen a wolf in person. When it's the peak of the firearms deer season, I can sometimes get her to wear her orange knit hat as well (aka the official uniform of Wisconsin ;) .)

Last edited:
I know that blaze orange is the standard for hunting-season safety gear, but my mom just got our lab-mix a lime-green high-visibility coat (this one http://d-fa.com/lightbox/images/large/moonwalker2.jpg) fall hiking and I was wondering if that would also work?
I'd stick to orange. While a high-visibility lime-green may actually be more visible in low light (because of the way that the eye works), hunters will be expecting blaze orange and less likely to make a mistake.

I seem to recall reading a reference to optic yellow/green as an possible option here but can't seem to find the post.
Yes, this topic has come up before (for instance in http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?46828-Hunting-season-for-deer ).

Doug

Actually, high viz lime green will work a little better especially in dim light conditions. Blaze orange or lime green is immaterial to hunters since you don't look like a deer or bear.

Actually, high viz lime green will work a little better especially in dim light conditions. Blaze orange or lime green is immaterial to hunters since you don't look like a deer or bear.

I have a lime green/ very bright turquoise Marmot jacket I am wearing and feel safe. My pups wear orange but I do have lime green vest that MOlly wears now and again. I don't like the fit of she would wear it more.

I'd stick to orange. While a high-visibility lime-green may actually be more visible in low light (because of the way that the eye works), hunters will be expecting blaze orange and less likely to make a mistake.

This is an important point. It's not really about being visible; it's about fitting into the hunter's expectations.

Yes, this topic has come up before (for instance in http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?46828-Hunting-season-for-deer ).
Doug

d'oh. Sorry I missed that (been that kind of week).

I'm less worried about myself, although I do have orange gear, than the dogs. I may not look like anything you'd want on your wall, but a black dog sniffing around the woods? I'd rather be safe(r) than sorry.

I appreciate everyone's input :)

I'd add a blaze orange bandana around dogs neck. Thats what we do with our dogs. I personally wear a very orange Pearl Izumi cycling jacket just to really be orange.

I would add that many of the lime green vests hi-viz are actually made to be used on the highways and streets per DOT/ANSI regulations. The biggest problem with them in the woods is that many of them contain white. White is a very bad idea out in the woods during deer season. And as repeated, blaze orange is what hunters expect to see out in the woods.

Keith