Winter Long Trail hike!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
I mentioned this at some point last year or the year before, but there was a couple from somewhere in Maine who tried to hike the LT last winter, and after it was mentioned, I heard no news of it ever again.

Until today! I just picked up the Winter LT News, and the last page of the issue has a trip report from one of the two hikers. Sounds like a hell of a time, and I hope someone can locate a more complete trip report. 49 days, and it sounds like they were on the LT for almost the whole trip (they switched to the Catamount Trail around Stowe). Quite an accomplishment!

It must have been one heck of a festive suffer fest. I wonder thought if the trail actually is easier in the snow by not having to deal with all to roots and rocks. On the other hand, it makes no difference how big your snowshoes are it is tough to break a trail after a big snowstorm.

I can think of plenty of other ways to torture myself! I think I will leave the Long Trail in Winter to the Braver at Heart than I am. Wow! That's amazing. I would love to read the full trip report too.

It must have been one heck of a festive suffer fest. I wonder thought if the trail actually is easier in the snow by not having to deal with all to roots and rocks. On the other hand, it makes no difference how big your snowshoes are it is tough to break a trail after a big snowstorm.

No. Not easier at all! :)

I would LOVE to do the LT in winter. But probably only in theory. Probably, once I get out there, I'd just want to go home after a few days. But it still sounds pretty awesome.