Peak Experiences: Danger, Death, and Daring in the Mountains of the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed it in the stores this weekend, too. Quite a thrill for me, as my essay begins on page 39. There are many other familiar names as authors, too. This book will be a great addition to holiday gift giving.

Chip,

As I understand it, was originally Peak Experiences in the White Mtns, similar to the ones for the ADKs and Catskills. They are wonderful reads. Then the publisher got involved, looking for a more dramatic title and attraction. I contributed 2 essays, but haven't seen the book nor know what made it into print. The editors of the series are excellent guide book authors, have a number to their credit in addition to the 'Experiences' books, and very experienced hikers in the Northeast - 46, 48, 111, etc and very nice people who give back to the mountains in countless ways.

Be looking for some information and clarification regarding the title and what's contained in the book from Carol. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

thanks. I'll buy a couple and suck it up.

Peakbagr said:
Then the publisher got involved, looking for a more dramatic title and attraction.

Perhaps the pub'er could be informed that the people that read these may be put off by these types of titles. Just saying. FWIW. I personally don't know the "Big Picture".

Last edited:
I wrote what I thought was a nice historical article about a hike but the author rejected it saying it wasn't adventurous enough

Then I wrote one that I thought had adventure but the publisher decided to use only stories where people nearly got hurt or killed which is reflected in the different title from the previous books

We'll see how close it comes in sales to Not Without Peril

I submitted an essay a long time ago. I thought it was accepted, but I don't think there was enough peril in it to warrant inclusion in a book with that title.

Do we know what essays were included?

Or do I need to go out and have more perilous adventures? :eek:

I submitted an essay a long time ago. I thought it was accepted, but I don't think there was enough peril in it to warrant inclusion in a book with that title.

Do we know what essays were included?

Or do I need to go out and have more perilous adventures? :eek:

If you go to the Amazon website, and click on the Kindle edition listing, you can get a preview, including the TOC. I didn't see "wardsgirl" listed :), but maybe they used a different name..

If you go to the Amazon website, and click on the Kindle edition listing, you can get a preview, including the TOC. I didn't see "wardsgirl" listed :), but maybe they used a different name..

"Never Underestimate the Power of Pudding"? I'm a little scared by the concept of perilous pudding....

Another one who agrees with Chip here. This is not meant at all to be a criticism of any of the contributors, but I was enough put off by the angle the publishers (I understand it was the publishers' determination) decided to pursue that I never signed the "Memo of Contributor Agreement." My story was about my 2010 Long Trail 9-day thru hike.

Another one who agrees with Chip here. This is not meant at all to be a criticism of any of the contributors, but I was enough put off by the angle the publishers (I understand it was the publishers' determination) decided to pursue that I never signed the "Memo of Contributor Agreement." My story was about my 2010 Long Trail 9-day thru hike.
That's a perilous hike, if I tried that it would kill me :)

We need to remember that while the title may turn off serious hikers and members of SAR groups, there is a much larger market of armchair readers that it may attract

We need to remember that while the title may turn off serious hikers and members of SAR groups, there is a much larger market of armchair readers that it may attract

What was the attraction of Touching the Void? Oh yeah, peril, struggle, left-for-dead-and-returns protagonist. Would this have been as compelling if everything went as planned? Probably not.

Tim

I've worked with publishers, and titling a book is altogether another science. The author may or may not have much input; I know I didn't, but was happy with the end result. What will catch the eye and intrigue comes first.

I really enjoy most books regarding mountain adventures, cycling, and preparing for and racing the Iditarod. I really love books about people who live far removed from civilization, and hike or bike outrageous distances.

I learn so much from all of them be they life threatening topics, or just plain shared wilderness adventures.
When I encounter my own demons on the trails, I often think back to them and take courage from their shared experiences.

IMHO...IT'S ALL GOOD! :cool:

PS I like the idea that regular folks, perhaps newbies. might be drawn to a book titled like this one. It could be a fantastic learning experience and perhaps enable them to rethink how they approach their own hikes in the mountains. Maybe even save a life or two.

Last edited: