Peak Experiences: Danger, Death, and Daring in the Mountains of the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carol has had a couple of computer issues replying to the thread and some difficulty resetting her VFTT PW with the new PC. Her old computer crashed and she asked me to post a couple of her replies:

For Roy Schweiker - Roy's "Midnight Rescue" is in the second section, "Rescues in the Mountains." Have you received your copy from UPNE yet, Roy? They said copies would be sent last week. I wasn't able to include his history of bushwhacking the Bonds, which was an overview of decades of tackling this fascinating range from nearly every direction, but it lacked any one detailed story that would be of interest to a reader.

For all:
I had nearly 500 pages of stories of every conceivable kind, having done outreach since 2008. These anthologies take at least three years to produce.
By contract, the University Press of New England required that Peak Experiences must focus on "danger, death, and daring..." This title and subtitle were chosen by the University Press, as were the accounts. Some history: Originally, I sent to two other publishers many varied stories featuring myriad joys of hiking, history, reminiscences, and extreme accounts as appeared in Adirondack Peak Experiences and Catskill Peak Experiences— and they declined to publish...the collection was too varied to compile an anthology. Then I submitted to the next publisher the most exciting and dangerous stories, and they expressed interest—if I could produce a full book of such stories. When I submitted a newer collection six months later, they said that only two-thirds of the stories met their requirements. I’d received many excellent accounts since 2009, and determined to make this anthology a reality! I communicated with a search & rescue expert who helped develop New Hampshire’s “HikeSafe” principles, which appear throughout the book; Peak Experiences became a useful addition to the hiking literature, discussing many mistakes people make and how we can enter the mountain environment in all seasons more safely. I think it is much improved! And Peak Experiences is considerably more than “danger, death, and daring,” with an extensive section called Odysseys detailing AT, Long Trail, winter 3000, hut-to-hut, and unsupported traverses over the White's 48 peaks, and a romantic tale … as well as animal and avian encounters. Steve Smith, co-editor of the White Mountain guidebook and owner of the Mountain Wanderer Map & Bookstore, calls Peak Experiences a great read with a terrific variety of accounts and helpful educational material.

Carol

I wasn't able to include his history of bushwhacking the Bonds, which was an overview of decades of tackling this fascinating range from nearly every direction, but it lacked any one detailed story that would be of interest to a reader.

Carol

I woud love to read a book of those types of stories.

Tom, me too. Lots of them in the Catskills Peak Experiences and Adirondack Peak Experiences. The change in publishers and the massive amount of stories Carol received precluded her original idea.
I contributed a couple of stories to the new book and waiting for my copy to arrive.

Okay. I will buy 10 copies and attempt to personally thank each contributor. Titles like this have been used and abused. I think they now diminish the potential of the authors works.

Last edited:
I have found this discussion quite interesting. I got the Kindle version yesterday and will get about to reading it at some point, mainly because I will read virtually anything about the Whites. I have read Women with Altitude, and loved it, and I have never even set foot in the Daks (its OK, say what you will, perhaps someday...). But like a few others on VFTT, I submitted 5 essays for the book under its former outline for publishing, of which 3 were accepted for publication. Then as mentioned, the premise for the print changed due to the publisher change and forthcoming ambitions for publication. I was asked if I had any harrowing stories, and my viewpoint was this. I do have some from my past SAR (R also standing for Recovery) years, but honestly, it doesn't doesn't feel right talking about them in detail. The instruction & training I received came down with the assumed standard of not talking about what happens/happened in a public forum, that's what official spokepersons are for. As I got older, and with more experience, this made all the more sense. And now, looking back, I could never bring myself to talk about people, their decisions, their reactions, thinking process, and their emotions and statements, at times when they were under agitation & enhanced reactions due to events they were in, or their loved ones were in. I could never presume what others were thinking or their motivation after so much passing of time, and to misrepresent them, seems most unethical to me. I mean, that was 20 years ago plus a few, and the last thing anyone wants, is someone writing about circumstances that involved them a long time after the imperfect memory can be diluted with age. That being said, when asked I simply replied, 'nothing I would write about anyway'. And since nothing overly reckless or dangerous has happened to me, all the better to read about others experiences, as much can be learned.

I do wish I had kept a diary of those events 20+ years ago, as to read them now after so many years passing would be quite interesting.

I look forward to seeing if the publishers desire to compare with Howe's book comes close. The Not Without Peril book is so well done due to its absorption of historical background and context.

Carol is a wonderful person of whom I have had many a delightful correspondence, and as previous posts has indicated, is wholly complete in what she gives back to the hills.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this. Mine is on the way from Amazon. Best get going on Bobcats Before Breakfast. Love his style of writing.

For Roy Schweiker - Roy's "Midnight Rescue" is in the second section, "Rescues in the Mountains." Have you received your copy from UPNE yet, Roy? They said copies would be sent last week. I wasn't able to include his history of bushwhacking the Bonds, which was an overview of decades of tackling this fascinating range from nearly every direction, but it lacked any one detailed story that would be of interest to a reader.
Originally, I sent to two other publishers many varied stories featuring myriad joys of hiking, history, reminiscences, and extreme accounts as appeared in Adirondack Peak Experiences and Catskill Peak Experiences— and they declined to publish...the collection was too varied to compile an anthology. Then I submitted to the next publisher the most exciting and dangerous stories, and they expressed interest—if I could produce a full book of such stories.
Hiking Mt Bond 12 different months using 12 different routes (mostly bushwhacks) is something I would call adventurous, but since the story made the trips sound well-planned instead of dangerous expeditions that hardly anybody would dare to do, I can see why it didn't meet the publisher's objective. About the most exciting thing that happened was when I tore my pants so badly that it's lucky it was dark on the main trail out, but that snippet didn't make it into the story due to word count.

I had not received a copy as of this AM and I'm curious to see the stories that made the cut, just because they require misadventure doesn't mean they aren't all good stories that will interest hikers.

Have you heard anything yet peakbagr? I hadn't realized it was out on the stands yet either. I have two stories in this book myself and the Publisher apparently is sending out Complimentary Books to those who contributed to the book. I haven't received my copy yet. :(

Marta, my copy arrived from the publisher about a week ago. With the holidays haven't had a chance to really start going through the stories. I know the first one I want to dig into is Cavedog's chapter on the Long Trail record with my friend, Ralph.
If you haven't received it yet you should probably email Carol.

Alan

Thanks Alan... No, I still haven't received mine yet and disappointed. I'm sure Carol will straighten it out for me. :) I'll be interested to read your stories when I get it... two of mine are the same ones which have made it in 'Women With Altitude' and 'Adirondack Peak Experiences.' However still the glory. :)