Winter in the Northern Whites today 11/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I got up this morning and the familiar rumble of snow plows were out and about for the first time this year at the Randolph/Gorham line. The ground and roads have been getting below freezing so when it snows they dont melt off. Looks like 3 or 4 inches on the ground. The benefit of last nights snow is clear blue sky with all the softwoods trimmed out in white and the summits reflecting back white with a low sun angle. Meteorological winter start tomorrow and the solstice is 22 days from now but despite the conditions south of the mountains, folks should plan for full winter gear (minus shoeshoes). Sure it might warm up and rain Sunday but there is no good reason not to make the switch in gear to winter as odds are this type of weather is going to be around for a few months ;).

I also have switched over to snowtires last weekend as Lowes Store and all the other tow truck companies are out to make their truck payments and early season is when they catch the unprepared hikers and skiers driving up from down south.

Most FS gates get closed after the close of rifle season so next weekend may be it unless we have an extended warm up as once the gates get closed they rarely reopen until after spring mud season.

Sawyer River Road/but snow covered?

I'm thinking of Carrigain tomorrow, access via Sawyer River Road.

I see that the Forest Service page says that the road is still open. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/wh...telprdb5183538

No indication as to when that page is updated, though. I know that it was open last weekend, per trip reports.

Think I'm safe to assume the Web site is accurate still re the road closures?

Also, my car isn't 4 wheel drive. Maybe that's an issue if the road IS open.

Thoughts?

--Carla

Odds are its open as the FS really tries to keep the roads open until after hunting season. That said, the road may be icy so its best ot assume ice and drive that way. They usually will leave notes on windshields of any cars on the wrong side of the fence when they close the gate. Usually they wait until Monday but its somewaht unpredictable and the webs site may lag a few days.

Many years ago in early winter the FS was not so agressive at closing gates. We took a batch of scouts up Sawyer River Road which was not gated but had 12 to 16 inches of snow on it. There was a SUV parked at the summer trailhead when we went in, the next day when we came out, the SUV was there with all four wheels off the ground with the trucks belly on the snow. They apparently had driven on top of the packed snow in the AM when it was cold and when the came out the next day the snow had softened. There were two 100 foot long ruts and no one around.

Carla,
We are doing Vose Spur tomorrow. As of 4pm when I called SRR is open with no plans to close it tonight. We will assume it will be open, though like you not sure if my Camry will make it. One of us has 4wd so maybe a shuttle. Hope to meet you on CNT.

New England Trail Conditions website reported on their Facebook page:
We have just received confirmation from the WMNF Pemi District that the forest roads (such as Zealand and Gale River) will remain OPEN this weekend and beyond for the time being, as long as they're deemed safe for public use.

Deifnitely "winter" up in the whites today 12/17/12. Given the forecast for the week I expect this might stay around for awhile until at least Friday (official winter).

Well the latest combinations of storms has left 6" of saturated snow at my place on 12/19, every branch and tree is coated with snow. I expect once the sun comes out it will be "drippy" in the woods.

8K vertical? That's hardcore...

not gonna lie, my legs are a bit sore today! I get more vert. earning turns then regular hiking, due to descending on board vs. downhiking, huge time saver! I know of some skiers that gain as much as 10k in a day, I haven't reached that level yet tho.

Last edited:
White Christmas!

At 10:30 it stopped snowing in Thornton, but we got about 3-4" of nice light powder :)

Unfortunately not quite enough to put on my snowshoes and go play in the woods :(

I have about 6" on the back porch at 11 AM in Gorham NH. Me thinks that the Northern Whites are in the "shadow" of this Northeaster, which is pretty typical. It does look like Western Maine may have a jackpot as the shadow effect on my side of the mountains usually lead to a snowdump to the SW of the whites (North Conway). I just hope it will be clear cut off to the storm.

I have about 16" on my woodpiles from over the last week and with the snow rain mix last week, there is a pretty good base locking in the small brush.

Given that is supposedly raining in Mass, I expect the postholers will be out in crowds this weekend :(

WMUR is going to be discussing the variability of snow totals in towns side by side at 11 tonight.

Like peakbagger, also in Gorham but in an east facing bowl just a few hundred feet lower. 6" snow at 7:30 this morning, 12+" at 7:30 this evening, but only 12" of pack before this storm. This bowl tends to catch and wring out the nor'easters.