What quotations or phrases keep you going in difficult outdoor situations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I see a sign that lists mileage to the next landmark I always say out loud, "Three miles? I can do that!"

i-think-i-can-wall-art-by-oopsy-daisy.jpg

followed, with luck, by

i-knew-i-couldi-knew-i-could_coloring_page_jpg_468x609_q85.jpg

"Time to put on your Big Girl (Big Boy) panties. Winter hiking ain't for sissies!"

From one of the old Rudolf like Christmas specials (singing now) "Put one foot in front of the other and soon you 'll be moving cross the floor or OR..." and repeat...and repeat Cuz I don 't remember more words.

Or, from Finding Memo, Dory 's "keep on swimming. Keep on swimming. Swimming. Swimming swimming..."

Or "this is what you 're doing today. It ain't over til it's over..."

Good thread. Fun. Possibly helpful.

I've never been one to make regular requests of any deity ----- and yet over the years, during a few especially edgy situations, I remember thinking or saying, "Hey Big Fella, I could use a little help here!" Then I went about the business of getting myself out of the mess I was in. ----------------------- You answer it in your own way. I'm still grappling with it.

Fun thread!

My old climbing buddy once said as we were discussing climbing the Black Dike on Cannon many years ago: "You probably wanna wear your man pants. You may want a whole man suit!"

... "I think I can. ..."

That's what got me up Mt. Washington the first time - fitting that it was alongside the Cog, adding a bit more inspiration. :) "I knew I could" was super sweet that day.

Usually, I don't think in terms of motivating touchstones. I'm out hiking b/c I love it and seem to have a pretty good ability to judge what I can pull off and what I can't, so not much need to egg myself on. Sometimes on a long, steep climb, a lot of foul epithets issue forth from my mouth - lots of f-words and other mean utterances - those seem to ease the strain, stress and pain.

Jens Voigt - pro cyclist - was asked something like this concerning why he is such a good climber on the long bike tours like the Tour de France. His answer propels me, whether it be while hiking or cycling.

Jens "I just say - Shut Up Legs!"

I agree that this thread is fun to read and participate in. Thanks :)
My favorite thing I tell myself is: "Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking cross the floor, Put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door." from the Santa Claus is coming to Town" movie. I just keep on plodding along.

In the winter time I also like to tell myself things like: "Do you really want to camp out here overnight?" or "Are you ready to die?" Well then if the answer is no, you'd better " keep those little feet moving Chris, keep those little feet moving". You know: from the "Dinosaur" movie. His name was Earl, not Chris and he had short legs and was a little Ankleosaurus.

My state of mind is to always preserve a bit for the end of the trip so I know I can get off the summit and back to the car safely. For this reason I never start out over zealous, I hold back some, take my time and make the elevation gain I need to reach my goal. Then I use up all the energy I have left for a strong exit.
I like to break the trip into pieces which makes it a-lot more doable in my mind. So I usually always know how far it is to the next turn, brook, lookout, trail intersection and the elevation at that point. I check my altimeter and tell myself, look you've completed this many feet of elevation gain and it's only this many more till the next point your headed to. If I am getting over-whelmed physically or emotionally I know it's time to:
1. rest a minute
2. look back down hill and see what I've accomplished
3. have a snack
4. Review the map and altimeter
5. take a slower pace for awhile.
This usually always gets me through. Taking more photos is my excuse for a slower pace or more rest stops. That way I don't feel as guilty at having to slow down or rest.

Depending on the plan or trip, I tell myself, "Well, you'll be home tonight and will have this behind you."

Fun thread!

My old climbing buddy once said as we were discussing climbing the Black Dike on Cannon many years ago: "You probably wanna wear your man pants. You may want a whole man suit!"

Great thread. I want a whole man suit. :) Totally going to use that.

I like this snippet of a bizarre Charlie Potts poem:

"..Every step you take is in the right direction, and it's not recorded anywhere..."

Are we having fun yet?

"Put one front in front of the other" holiday theme

Thru hiker's prayer, (probably misquoted) If you pick them (your feet) up, I'll keep putting them down

Mr. Twight's It doesn't have to be fun to be fun

Just like Dad, "uphill both" ways in 5' of snow

A bad day outside is better than a good day inside

For long solos, You get to know yourself very well, maybe too well....:D:eek::D:eek:

Similar to a few others: We often tell each other before, during or after a hike that our goal is to never have anybody hear about our trip on Channel 9.

Also, after my husband hiked out of Tuckerman's with a broken leg, whenever we get tired or the legs start to ache: "Kwitcherbitchin'...at least your leg ain't broken!":eek:

Fun thread.

Looks like a good many of us will do what we have to in order to avoid the dreaded press! Or at least imagine/hope that we can handle what comes our way.

I sing songs ("Whose woods these are" by Frost set to a tune, or chant: "Happy am I/Healthy am I/ Whole am I."

A couple of song lines. First from a Jerry Garcia tape:

...When the storm flies and the wind blows
Go on at a steady pace
When the battle is fought and the victory's won
We can all shout together, we have overcome...

And one line from Procul Harum:

"...We are men of sterner stuff ..."