What quotations or phrases keep you going in difficult outdoor situations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From one of the old Rudolf like Christmas specials (singing now) "Put one foot in front of the other and soon you 'll be moving cross the floor or OR..." and repeat...and repeat Cuz I don 't remember more words.

Or, from Finding Memo, Dory 's "keep on swimming. Keep on swimming. Swimming. Swimming swimming..."

Or "this is what you 're doing today. It ain't over til it's over..."

Good thread. Fun. Possibly helpful.

Chip, Dory's words enter mind on nearly every hike! Very funny!

"Don't look down, you'll end up there" is a perennial favorite. Along with "no toboggan rides" or "no helecopter rides" depending on the terrain I'm in. More often than not however situation appropriate "theme songs" start playing in my head, that I sing along to mentally... Past favorites have included:

Queen: Keep yourself alive
Bee-Gee's: Staying Alive
Talking Heads: How did I get here

Even 99 bottles of beer if I've just got a long endless slog to deal with....

To the folk who have responded thus far: I love the variety and the simplicity and the complexity and the good humor. To think I wondered if I was alone...

To the folk who have responded thus far: I love the variety and the simplicity and the complexity and the good humor. To think I wondered if I was alone...

Funny, that's exactly what I said to my wife last night with regard to this thread...nice to know I'm not the only one who talks to himself like that out there. :)

Funny, that's exactly what I said to my wife last night with regard to this thread...nice to know I'm not the only one who talks to himself like that out there. :)

Thats funny, I always talk out loud when I solo and have got some strange looks when I didnt see the people coming. I get even stranger looks when Im caught singing, yes singing, I got caught singing the theme song for the old sitcom " The Jeffersons" this summer and by the time I saw the large group coming up the trail they where beyond laughing at me.:D

Thats funny, I always talk out loud when I solo and have got some strange looks when I didnt see the people coming. I get even stranger looks when Im caught singing, yes singing, I got caught singing the theme song for the old sitcom " The Jeffersons" this summer and by the time I saw the large group coming up the trail they where beyond laughing at me.:D

My aunt hums and sings inside of her helmet while snowmobiling. She says we should all be glad that we don't have radios in our helmets for our family.

I often sing loudly while skiing on groomers. That reaches well outside my helmet. :)